Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2023, 22:40   #9016

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched "Air" : 4/5

Very good cast, covered most of the aspect of the making of the AIR Jordon.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th May 2023 at 14:58. Reason: (very --> Very). Please capitalise text where needed. Thank you.
Old 15th May 2023, 09:11   #9017
BHPian

A small list of my personal non-Indian favorites:

1. War movies: “Das Boot” (German). The most amazing edge of the seat experience. Never gets old. “Patton”, “Letters from Iwo Jima”,

2. Masala: the Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns: “The Good, The Bad & The Ugly”, “For a few dollars more”, “a fistful of dollars”, “Lethal Weapon” and it’s sequels, the first 2 “Jurassic Park” movies (the newer ones are hollow shells reliant on CGI in lieu of a plot, IMHO),

3. Comedy: Peter Sellers and his deadpan style still cracks me up. The “Pink Panther” series and “Dr. Strangelove”. From the newer movies, “Shaolin Soccer” and “Kung fu hustle” were also great albeit low brow laugh riots.

4. Action: the first 3 from the “Dirty Harry” series, Bruce Lee (“Enter the dragon” & “return of the dragon”),

5. Thrillers: “Oldboy” by Park Chan-Wook, the old Hitchcock productions like “Psycho”, “North by Northwest”, “Presumed innocent”, “Apocalypto” by Mel Gibson

6. Epic productions: “The Lord of the Rings”, “Ben Hur”, “Hero” (Chinese), “The Longest day” (also a Great War film)

7. Drama: Some of the above also qualify for this category, but others on my list would be “Glengarry Glen Ross”, “A few good men”, “12 angry men”, “Marriage Story”, “Parasite”, some of the Kurosawa productions like “Ran”, “Yojimbo”

This is by no means exhaustive. Just a sampling of some good movies I have been fortunate to have watched.
Mustang Sammy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 16:49   #9018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, please CANCEL your post-lunch or evening plans. Open up Prime Video, order a pizza & watch "Air". You can come back to thank me after seeing it .
Thanks for the recommendation. Affleck just hit it out of the park.
I cannot believe that this movie did not connect with American Audience. I get that many classics are not a huge hit but this is Michael Jordan and Basketball. How can that not draw audiences to the theatre?

The only gripe is that Viola Davis is so great an actress that even here I felt she was underused.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 11:55   #9019
Senior - BHPian

The Covenant

I am a Sucker for army and survivalist genre movies/shows. Moment I saw Jake Gyllenhaal I knew it will be good but was surprised to see Guy Ritchie as director as this kinda movie isn't his domain. They both did extremely well. Story isn't something out of the box but the screenplay and acting has been done quite well. A word for Dar Salim as well for playing the role of Ahmed equally well. Movie at times does make you feel bad for families suffering due to someone else's war.

Rating- 4/5

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

Chris pine does a Chris pine. Lighthearted fantasy stuff with some magic thrown it. Well made for a fun watch. Some movies are just to enjoy without dwelling too much about the technicalities.

Rating- 3.5/5
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-img_8244.png  

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-img_8245.png  

harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 16:23   #9020
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Was hoping for more Guardians of the Galaxy reviews. What's the verdict? Worth going to the theater for, or wait for it on Amazon?
Ended up going to the theater and watching this since a friend's children wanted to see the movie. Liked the movie better than the previous 2 parts. Was a very late show, so thought I'd be sleeping through most of it, but the movie was engaging enough to keep me awake. Good finale for this cast!
Old 16th May 2023, 17:04   #9021
Distinguished - BHPian

Evil Dead Rise : 1 / 5

This was a complete flop for me. Seemed like a massive budget cut so the movie was made within 2 floors of a single building with no creativity at all. Given the amazing horror movies being churned out so frequently these days, this was a complete miss.

Scream 6 : 3 / 5

Honestly, after the first Scream movie, it was the parody movie(s) that kept the interest in this franchise. But chapter 6 of this series has some interesting parts of it but honestly, I think they have gotten as much as possible from this series and should end it. A passable watch if you have time and are a fan of this series.
Old 16th May 2023, 18:20   #9022
Senior - BHPian

The Pope's Exorcist:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13375076/

Russel Crowe was such a joy to watch in this movie and he looked like he was having a jolly good time.

With a title like that, you can expect what the movie was about and it dwells along on expected lines but with some added depth thrown in.

Was a good watch and happy to see a decent horror movie.

Yet to watch Evil Dead Rise
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 08:51   #9023
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yuck! Saw Fast X last evening. It was so intolerable that we left it mid-way. Most recent editions of the Fast & Furious franchise have been disappointing, and this is no different.

Rating 1 / 5 stars. 1 star only for some of the nice cars in the movie.

We live in an era of "entertainment overload" today, with endless choices of shows & movies on our Smart TVs. I don't suffer sub-par movies anymore. Better to save that time and watch a nice show / movie on my Smart TV instead.

Even diehard fans who are willing to put up with the nonsense should wait for Fast X to arrive on streaming platforms. Don't waste time & money going to the theatre.

Saw it at the Drive-In:
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-20230517-20.57.22.jpg

With some sweet machinery around:
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-20230517-21.37.53.jpg
GTO is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 09:56   #9024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yuck! Saw Fast X last evening. It was so intolerable that we left it mid-way.
Don't waste time & money going to the theatre.
Oh man. You shouldnt have posted the review so early Rush.
This is not good, my son had demanded to watch the movie in a theatre while I had argued to wait till a couple of weeks atleast. There goes my 2K for the tickets. I am scheduled to watch it on Sunday.
ghodlur is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 09:59   #9025
Senior - BHPian

I was there at the screening of Fast X as well. To be honest, I wouldn't have watched it if I had to buy a ticket. I went for it just because of the invite. I have skipped most of the F&F series movies in recent times and I really didn't like any part that came after Tokyo Drift. I too left during the interval.

That said, the event was well organised and there was a good turn out of super cars, SUVs and modern classics. It was good to meet up with friends and like minded people as well.
Dippy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 10:14   #9026
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yuck! Saw Fast X last evening. It was so intolerable that we left it mid-way.
Concur a 100%. What an awful snooze-fest. I had dozed off, and was woken up by the lights coming on during intermission. Absolutely random action sequences, acting either at 0 or over-the-top, and storyline comparable to what you'd find in a street play written by a toddler.

I'd have rather watched Dhoom again.
libranof1987 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 10:16   #9027
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I'd have rather watched Dhoom again.
Hahaha! Two comments I heard in the group while watching Fast X:

- This seems like a Rohit Shetty movie

- Dom is the Salman Khan of Hollywood

"Family, family, family" was so overdone. Felt like Kabhi Khushi, Kabhi Gam at times!

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2023 at 10:57.
GTO is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 10:31   #9028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Oh man. You shouldnt have posted the review so early Rush.
This is not good, my son had demanded to watch the movie in a theatre while I had argued to wait till a couple of weeks atleast. There goes my 2K for the tickets. I am scheduled to watch it on Sunday.
Dont worry. Enjoy the family time. Maybe your son would love it. And hopefully you’d too. Ghost rider (first one) had such poor reviews but I enjoyed it to be honest. And ditto for the 2007 Hitman movie.

Quote:
Even diehard fans who are willing to put up with the nonsense should wait for Fast X to arrive on streaming platforms. Don't waste time & money going to the theatre.
Well said. Watched Ant Man 3 yesterday on HotStar and was glad that I didnt visit the local multiplex to waste my time.

I have similar opinion for most recent movies (Black Panther 2, Black Adam etc.). Even though I watched these in the theatre. I am planning to shift movie watching activity entirely to my home system in future.

Waiting for Avatar 2, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Shazam 2, John Wick 4, Fast X, 65, The Flash, Transformers 6, Aquaman 2, PS-2, Pushpa 2, Dungeons&Dragons etc to hit the streaming platforms. 😂 (Summary: gonna skip multiplex for all major releases).
PaddleShifter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 12:38   #9029
Senior - BHPian

SISU: 3.5/5

A pure captivating action revenge thriller about a undying man who is a gold miner but somehow get a face to face with Nazis, little known about him Nazis underestimates his power and they pay a deadly price.

It's along the line of a John Wick movie with plenty of action and a high body count.

RM Motorsports is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 12:50   #9030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
...Waiting for Avatar 2, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Shazam 2, John Wick 4, Fast X, 65, The Flash, Transformers 6, Aquaman 2, PS-2, Pushpa 2, Dungeons&Dragons etc ...
Agree with all except Avatar-2. Man, that movie deserves to be seen in IMAX 3D. Anything less and the experience just won't be the same. The story is pretty average. It's the immersion that creates the stickiness for this franchise.

I remember when one of the protagonists in the movie says "Take a deep breath" and I instinctively took a breath. Missus in the next seat lol-ed.

Avatar is one franchise where I don't mind spending Rs.1500 per ticket for the IMAX 3D experience.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed