Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2009, 16:18   #1066
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
I've uploaded a list that i had and given the edit rights to everybody, please feel free to go and make new entries as appropriate....

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...zTlpGWFE&hl=en
Thanks for the trouble.

I edited the doc and added another column for TBHP ID. Anyone writing a review in the 2nd column can add their id in the 3rd column so we are aware of who posted that short one line review of the movie
Old 19th September 2009, 17:01   #1067
Distinguished - BHPian

How's the movie " Nothing to Lose" starring Martin Lawrence and Tim Robbins?
Old 19th September 2009, 18:55   #1068
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
How's the movie " Nothing to Lose" starring Martin Lawrence and Tim Robbins?
I think its pretty damn funny. A little slap-sticky, but definitely worth a watch.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd September 2009 at 15:13. Reason: typo
Old 19th September 2009, 22:04   #1069
BHPian

RIP Patrick Swayze!

The last three movies I watched had Patrick as a common factor. I sat down to watch (repeat viewing) two of those, Ghost and Point Break in his memory. The third one, Donnie Darko, happened to feature him in a small role.

The story of Donnie Darko revolves around a very intelligent but mentally unstable teenager (brilliantly played by Jake Gyllenhaal, last seen in The Zodiac). Till a few minutes from the end it seems that the protagonist is hallucinating. The big twist in the plot comes at the very end.

Ghost is a feel good movie that had established Swayze as a heart-throb.

Point Break is a stylish action flick which I never get tired of watching. In my book this one is Patrick Swayze's best work ever.
Old 19th September 2009, 22:46   #1070
BHPian

RIP Swayze !!

I saw this animated movie called "UP" today and quite liked it.
Up (2009)
my rating 4/5
Old 19th September 2009, 22:49   #1071
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I think its pretty damn funny. I little slap-sticky, but definitely worth a watch.

cya
R
+1. I esp love the Scat Man song sequence.
Old 20th September 2009, 15:31   #1072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I think its pretty damn funny. I little slap-sticky, but definitely worth a watch.

cya
R
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
+1. I esp love the Scat Man song sequence.
I agree "Nothing to Lose" was good but didn't find it too funny. Just a reasonably Ok'sh comedy caper with a few good laughs here and there.

Tim Robins is not made for comedy, too poker face. As expected ML got the best lines in the movie and due to him it was saved. But, ML was much better in other movies.

2.5/5
Old 21st September 2009, 13:11   #1073
Distinguished - BHPian

How's the movie " The Good German" Starring George Clooney and Toby Mcguire?
Old 21st September 2009, 13:25   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
I saw this animated movie called "UP" today and quite liked it.
Up (2009)
my rating 4/5
My 2 cents in UP is a good movie to watch. Nice storyline. Cannot forget a talking doberman and a rare multi coloured bird that loves chocolates.
Old 21st September 2009, 15:19   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Watched - 'Deception'.

Deception (2008/I) - Plot Summary

Jonathan McQuarry is an auditor in Manhattan, moving from office to office checking their books. While working late, a smooth and well-dressed man named Wyatt Bose chats Jonathan up, offers him a joint, and soon they're pals. When their cell phones are accidentally swapped, Jonathan answers Wyatt's phone to a series of women asking if he's free tonight. Jonathan discovers it's a sex club: busy powerful people meet each other anonymously in hotels. Jonathan falls for one of the club members, whom he knows only as "S," whom he's also seen on a subway. When she goes missing, patterns emerge and Jonathan faces demands involving violence and lots of money/

Movie is slow at times however it is also quiet interesting.
Godd one time watch.
Rating - 3.5/5
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-deception.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2009, 13:10   #1076
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " Sideways" starring Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church.

It's a story of two late 30's guys washed out guys with Wine as a center theme. One is a failed writer ( Paul Giamatti) and other is an actor ( Thomas Haden Church).

The writer is sensitive, intelligent and knowledgable on wines. Actor is crass,rude and an opportunist.

Both take a week's tour in the wine region of Calfornia and how they share feelings,fun and their life together is the gist of the story.

Awesome acting by both Paul and Thomas, especially Paul, great information about wine culture and some very hilarious moments in the movie.

Must watch for 30+ folks who will certainly relate to this movie.

4.5/5

OT: my one year subscription of Bixflix ended last weekend and they have a 30% off scheme and got it renewed for another year for Rs.2400.
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:02   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Watched " Sideways" starring Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church.

It's a story of two late 30's guys washed out guys with Wine as a center theme. One is a failed writer ( Paul Giamatti) and other is an actor ( Thomas Haden Church).

The writer is sensitive, intelligent and knowledgable on wines. Actor is crass,rude and an opportunist.

Both take a week's tour in the wine region of Calfornia and how they share feelings,fun and their life together is the gist of the story.

Awesome acting by both Paul and Thomas, especially Paul, great information about wine culture and some very hilarious moments in the movie.

Must watch for 30+ folks who will certainly relate to this movie.

4.5/5

OT: my one year subscription of Bixflix ended last weekend and they have a 30% off scheme and got it renewed for another year for Rs.2400.
Just as i had mentioned a week back, its a movie that makes you think a lot. Did you get the unrated DVD? Recommend you a couple of other good movies:

Following featuring Philip Seymour Hoffman:
Before the Devil Know's You're Dead (Ethan Hawke, Marisa Tomei Directed by Sidney Lumet)
Doubt (Meryl Streep)
The Savages (Laura Linney)

And...
The Wrestler (Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei)
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:55   #1078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Just as i had mentioned a week back, its a movie that makes you think a lot. Did you get the unrated DVD? Recommend you a couple of other good movies:

Following featuring Philip Seymour Hoffman:
Before the Devil Know's You're Dead (Ethan Hawke, Marisa Tomei Directed by Sidney Lumet)
Doubt (Meryl Streep)

And...
The Wrestler (Mickey Rourke, Marisa Tomei)
Thanks Anil. I am not sure how i can identifiy if the DVD that i watched was unrated? I can only say that a couple of love making scenes shown were pretty clearly shown

Checked the above movies, unfortunately at this point of time they dont reflect with Bigflix. Will keep checking as these guys are adding movies by the dozen regularly
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:23   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
Doubt (Meryl Streep)
I have not seen The Savages, whats it about?

The other two are really nice movies. Meryl Streep won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Doubt, IIRC. It is a slow, but good movie with a very abrupt ending. I loved the stern sister played by Meryl, and the confused novice played by Amy Adams. Hoffman is good in his limited role. Another one of his movies I like is Capote. "Before the Devil...." is good too, a nice action filled drama/ thriller. The jumps and trackbacks in the way the story is told adds to the atmosphere. Quite a predictable story though.
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:10   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
I have not seen The Savages, whats it about?
See the review here:
The Savages Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

Its about a middle aged brother (Hoffman) and a sister(Laura Linney), having to take care of their aged father, inspite of being busy in their not so happening life.

I really prefer these smaller independent movies to most of the big budget blockbuster non-sensical garbage they throw at us these days.

Quote:
Before the Devil...." is good too, a nice action filled drama/ thriller. The jumps and trackbacks in the way the story is told adds to the atmosphere. Quite a predictable story though.
Well but the treatment by Lumet was so awesome. And a cast of commendable, competent actors makes it all the more worthwhile.

Quote:
Thanks Anil. I am not sure how i can identifiy if the DVD that i watched was unrated? I can only say that a couple of love making scenes shown were pretty clearly shown

Checked the above movies, unfortunately at this point of time they dont reflect with Bigflix. Will keep checking as these guys are adding movies by the dozen regularly.
Well, The DVD cover itself shows whether its the rated or unrated version. I was not talking only about the love making scene's, its the expressions that you miss when you get the edited versions. The expression made by Giamatti when he sees Church in bed, priceless! That's what you normally miss out in edited versions, the love making scene though was a bonus .

Thats the reason why i don't subscribe to Bigflix or Netflix. I have 3-4 good DVD rentals in my area in Bandra West and i just frequent them all to get maximum movies of my choice. I do mind paying 100 bucks per DVD but hey atleast i get my choice.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 23rd September 2009 at 11:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks