Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2009, 22:07   #1261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I haven't watched Revolver, but have watched "Snatch" & "Lock, Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels" by the same director(Guy Ritchie) & they are superb. And they are supposed to be better than Revolver.
Also watched RockNRolla by Ritchie which is also decent.
Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels is an anthem. As they say, every director makes ONE best movie of their career and Guy made this one and Quentin Tarantino made TWO ( Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs).

I have a DVD of LS2SB and have seen it umpteeth number of times and i can mouth all dialogues too

Brit humour/crime at it's all time BEST

P.S : sorry, Guy too made two as well, SNATCH is mind blowing. RocknRolla didnt impress me

Last edited by mobike008 : 31st October 2009 at 22:10.
Old 31st October 2009, 23:10   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
SNATCH is mind blowing. RocknRolla didnt impress me
I watched Snatch recently. Style and content wise it is like a Quentin Tarantino movie with the ensemble of gangsters, witty dialogues, profanity, non-linear narrative and all. Brad Pitt as Mickey, the gypsy is fabulous. I would not have understood a single dialogue of his, because of the weird accent he speaks with, had there been no subtitles. Finally, what I found remarkable is that amongst scores of toughies, gunslingers and fighters Jason Statham got to play the role of the only guy in the movie without any violent streak at all.
Old 31st October 2009, 23:16   #1263
BHPian

Just finished watching Moon and Paranormal Activity.
Moon - Story about a man and a robot on a mission to Moon. After a accident, the hero comes to now who really he is. Must watch. Movie with lots of twists and turns. Unexpected.
4/5

Paranormal Activity - Expected something different. But was like watching Quarantine (.REC) Hate movies shown like that. Hollywood guys are the best to spook the hell out of you with only BGM. Awesome. Spooky scenes are less, otherwise this would have been my hit list following Grudge series. But the spooky scenes are real spooky. I swear.
Fortunately, watched both the endings (DVD and theatrical)
The theatrical ending pushed mine heart out of my mouth. Whoa!! Whoa!!
4.5/5
Tomorrow, gonna watch 9
Old 1st November 2009, 00:04   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I just finished watching it. Frankly, I didn't understand.
Sir ji it requires a lot of concenteration.
MAny people dont understand it first time.
Old 1st November 2009, 00:08   #1265
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, but it is not the kind of movie that you can see again and again. I don't want to see it again.
Old 1st November 2009, 00:51   #1266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Exactly, i have seen lock stock two smoking barrels for first time. I didnt get head or tail of it. But, when i saw it again then i realized what a great movie it is. After that no stopping, have seen it over 20 times or more and i still can see a few dozen times again.

There are many movies that you cannot fathom at first instance. You have to delve deep into it to get the finer meaning and point it tries to make.
Old 1st November 2009, 15:56   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

I saw it today and i definitely would not rate it more than 2.5/5.
I cant say i dint understand it but to me it was just another masala movie which would have its audience divided.
And to compare it with movies like Reservoir dogs,it wold be insult for latter.

happen to see more movies last week

Ronin 4.5/5
Heat 4.5/5
The righteous kill 3.5/5
Old 1st November 2009, 23:19   #1268
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw This Is It today featuring Michael Jackson during his last months.The two hour film features him and his group of managers co-singers and dancers all through. They were shown rehearsing for the proposed Nov 2009 London/U.K. concerts -all 44 of them! Indeed, its November now and the King is Gone. The film is nothing very different and for those familiar with pop star/group concerts it shows all that goes on behind the scenes to put together a whole rock concert.
Many older MJ songs are featured live crooned by the popstar anew , with his frail 50 Kg (at 5' 11" height) health at age 50 plus, with his signature dances, moonwalking and some nuances of his polite behaviour on stage.There's however no any change in his dancing style compared to what I had seen him in his rock videos of Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, HIStory and so on.Age has not really caught up with him here. He's the same ebullient MJ that he once was on stage.
Its worth viewing this movie and perhaps buying a CD of the same later for memories!The film it is told was edited from the 69 hours of video footage available of his very recent practice sessions.
The editing is not very slick either.The movie evokes nostalgia and nothing else for MJ fans, who are very eager to see him during his last days IN ACTION. Its a quickfix assemblage of the videos to release the film on time for bereaved fans and evidently to make a quick buck.It could have been better edited to be a real tribute to one of the greatest rock stars of our times.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st November 2009 at 23:21.
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:44   #1269
Senior - BHPian

Watched UP this weekend. Very nice animation movie. Loved it.

Also watched Paranormal Activity and I guess too much expectation killed it. We actually find it boring initially and than lil' bit interesting later. Bit scary at few moments and that's all about it. I was expecting it to freak me out (as I get scared more if I don't see the ghost in the movie but the anticipation/imagination of something out there is what scares more). But somehow got bit disappointed. I think it's all because of high expectations.
Started Saints and Soldiers after that but it was already 4am so went to sleep ;-) Found it quite interesting till first half and hour.
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:49   #1270
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
I saw it today and i definitely would not rate it more than 2.5/5.
I cant say i dint understand it but to me it was just another masala movie which would have its audience divided.
And to compare it with movies like Reservoir dogs,it wold be insult for latter.

happen to see more movies last week

Ronin 4.5/5
Heat 4.5/5
The righteous kill 3.5/5
I guess it's a matter of different tastes of different people.
I would rate Pulp Fiction, Snatch & LS&2SBs at 4.5. I would rate Heat at 3 max. Reservoir Dogs would be around 4 in my scale.

And I didn't have to see LS&2SBs twice to get it. Very rarely do I like movies which I have to see twice to get the movie. Memento is probably the only movie I liked in spite of having to watch it multiple times to understand the movie.

Last edited by carboy : 2nd November 2009 at 12:50.
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:00   #1271
BHPian

Watched "The Ipcress File" last night, starring Michael Caine. It is based on the book of the same name by Len Deighton. Frankly, not impressed. Caine is a counter-espionage guy with a checkered history, looking into the disappearance of Brit Scientists. The first three quarters of the movie are well put together, and Caine is just superb. The guys playing Major Dalby and Colonel Ross also do a great job. Unfortunately, the ending lets all the good work till then go to waste. Very silly, indeed. Go watch Spy Game instead.
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:13   #1272
Senior - BHPian

Guys please rate the movies that we are watching & posting about here. Thanks
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:21   #1273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Go watch Spy Game instead.
Is this based on Len Dieghton's novel?
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:22   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Guys please rate the movies that we are watching & posting about here. Thanks
Guess that was directed at me . So here goes:

The Ipcress File: Rating 2.5/5

Quote:
Is this based on Len Dieghton's novel?
Don't think so. But it is a superb movie nonetheless, starring Robert Redford, Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. Robert Redford is just outstanding in this one. Must watch. 5/5 <snicker>

Last edited by anurag_p80 : 2nd November 2009 at 13:24.
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:40   #1275
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Anurag, no not just you, since last page very few are giving ratings & hence the message

Most Viewed