Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:46   #1276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thanks Anurag, no not just you, since last page very few are giving ratings & hence the message
Hey techno, is it necessary to put the rating points ? I thought a few lines about the movie(review summary) would be better than the star/number ratings. Anyway if it's must than I'll put the star ratings too. I somehow tend to get confused about the star/number rating to be given.
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:35   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Don't think so. But it is a superb movie nonetheless, starring Robert Redford, Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. Robert Redford is just outstanding in this one. Must watch. 5/5 <snicker>
I don't think Cate Blanchette is in that movie but I agree with you that it is indeed a very good modern spy thriller.
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:39   #1278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yeah, but it is not the kind of movie that you can see again and again. I don't want to see it again.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
There are many movies that you cannot fathom at first instance. You have to delve deep into it to get the finer meaning and point it tries to make.
Quiet right.
Memento was such a movie for me. Maybe cos i had seen ghajjini first and was trying to strike resemblance and Memento was quiet diff actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
I saw it today and i definitely would not rate it more than 2.5/5.
I cant say i dint understand it but to me it was just another masala movie which would have its audience divided.
And to compare it with movies like Reservoir dogs,it wold be insult for latter.

happen to see more movies last week

Ronin 4.5/5
Heat 4.5/5
The righteous kill 3.5/5
Everyone has diff tastes so its highly possible not many will like it.
For instance i will rate-
Righteous kill - 2.5/5
Reservoir dogs- 4.5/5
Heat - 4.5/5

Ronin i had not seen yet so its on the list for next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hey techno, is it necessary to put the rating points ? I thought a few lines about the movie(review summary) would be better than the star/number ratings. Anyway if it's must than I'll put the star ratings too. I somehow tend to get confused about the star/number rating to be given.
Its actually not carved in stone but is quiet useful to readers as rating gives a fair indication.
IF you get confused the simple ratings can be -

5- Excellent
4- Good
3- Average
2- Poor
1- Very poor

Cheers!
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:44   #1279
Senior - BHPian

@kaushik It definitely helps to get an idea of what one thinks of a particular movie, you are free to use your own rating method to arrive at ratings, no issues

EDIT - I agree with Harry & like mentioned earlier it helps.

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd November 2009 at 14:46.
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:49   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think Cate Blanchette is in that movie but I agree with you that it is indeed a very good modern spy thriller.
Right you are, Abhay. Catherine McCormack, the one in Braveheart, is the female lead.
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:56   #1281
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm ok. Then here are my ratings to movies I've recently posted,

1. UP = almost 4/5. i.e. A must watch
2. Paranormal Activity = 3/5 . Definitely watchable.
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:32   #1282
Team-BHP Support

Saw Ronin yesterday. Thought the the car chase scenes were good, but a li'l too perfect !

Rating: 3 / 5

A Simple Plan: Three guys find 4.5 million $ that nobody claims and decide to keep it. A good thriller with emotional undertones. I loved all the 4 main characters in the movie:

3/5
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:35   #1283
BHPian

just saw inglorious B*******S. once heck of a movie!.

its a tarentino movie so watch out for some violence but. its fantastically executed
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:56   #1284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Saw " Planes, Trains, Automobiles" Starring Steve Martin and John Candy. What a hilarious movie.

Story of a man trying to go home for thanksgiving holidays and gets stuck with a walking talking debacle in the form of John Candy. How every mode of transport puts them in a funny spot and fails to take them home is the gist of the story.

John Candy in some scenes out does Steve Martin. It's funny all the way with a lovely sentimental twist at the end. I love Steve Martin

4/5
I saw this movie again over the weekend. Simply hilarious. John Candy gave an equal takkar to Steve Martin

MUST WATCH !!!
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:42   #1285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Right you are, Abhay. Catherine McCormack, the one in Braveheart, is the female lead.
You mean Mrs.Wallace? She is hardly there, gets married and then dies. The real female lead in Braveheart is Sophie Marceau.
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:44   #1286
BHPian

Watched 3 movies yesterday in the following sequence,
1. 9 - Excellent movie, but the animation is not up to the mark when compared to Pixar's. Good story and keeps you gripped. Starting is very slow, then the momentum picks up.
3/5
2. Harold & Kumar goes to White Castle - Good adult comedy, like their previous movies. Large skin shows, but understandable in this series. Must watch for bachelors or family men alone.
3/5
3. Hitman - Have played this game, and liked it. Excellent action scenes and sniper shots. Well crafted. The hero is expressionless like Arnold in T2. Bits of skin show, must watch.
3/5

Waiting for SAW VI and Final Destination.
Old 2nd November 2009, 19:33   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Also watched Paranormal Activity and I guess too much expectation killed it.
Which version did you watch? The Spielberg ending or the original one?
Old 2nd November 2009, 19:46   #1288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Which version did you watch? The Spielberg ending or the original one?
Original ending not the Spielberg version.
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:32   #1289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also watched Paranormal Activity and I guess too much expectation killed it. We actually find it boring initially and than lil' bit interesting later. Bit scary at few moments and that's all about it. I was expecting it to freak me out (as I get scared more if I don't see the ghost in the movie but the anticipation/imagination of something out there is what scares more). But somehow got bit disappointed. I think it's all because of high expectations.
I saw Paranormal Activity in theater on Halloween day. The hall was nearly empty. I was sitting on the last row, in the center. The movie totally spooked me out. Although one might feel that the method has been done to death (no pun intended) in movies like Blaire Witch Project and a couple more, this one is better because in most of the movie, a tripod is used Katie's and Micah's acting (those are their real names as well as screen names) was more than average. Specially the transformation of Katie from a sweet girl in the beginning to a nervous wreck near the end was very well done. Micah's character nearly makes you wanna pull your hair out. The award of Worst Boyfriend Ever goes to him. Although nearly the entire first half of the movie is boring, you do get your money's worth at the end.
As far as scariness goes, i'd put it right up there with Aliens.
My rating: Watch it. Alone in an empty hall, if you dare.

Saw Saw 6 right after this one. It seemed like a comedy after Paranormal Activity. Nothing new in this one really. Same stuff that you've seen in the last 5 editions.
My rating: This one is better off in a dust bin. Avoid.
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:00   #1290
BHPian

true amitoj..as far as paranormal is concerned, the spookiness injected is purely exhilarating. Even now, if I think about the scene where micah is deliberately pulled out of her bed and dragged out is awesome. Excellently made. The director has filmed this entire movie in 1 week and the house in which the movie is filmed is his own house. In fact this movie was filmed with a shoestring budget of 15000 but grossed around 9.1 million in the first week alone. Source IMDB.
The director has put much money into special effects alone. Its not stupendous as an usual hollywood movie but good to spook you out.

Getting a mixed response for SAW VI. Should I watch it or not?

Most Viewed