Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2024, 09:01   #9466
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

I had a completely different take on Dune 2. Too jumpy in its storyline, and this is from a guy who is a Dune nerd. It just doesn't build up any character or the story. Dune 1 was far better in that respect. Of course, they are one movie, but when you cut it into two releases, the expectation is that the second movie should also have its own flow.

Set design, sounds were great, but the background score is everywhere and stops working after a point of time, even though it's great.
Old 18th March 2024, 09:28   #9467
Distinguished - BHPian

Dune 2 : 4 / 5

Enough has been said so I'll try not to repeat. My view is from an individual who's read the book and is able to make comparisons. My rating is with the joy I had in the theatre. After a very long time, I have felt the need to go again and watch it a second time. A good refresh from the Marvel & DC universes.

Positives:
- The visuals. Can't be enjoyed at home. Needs to be watched in a theatre.
- Go for Austin Butler. He's in a supporting role, but he over-shines the rest of the cast by a mile. First Elvis, then this. (he's done a lot more in-between too). Huge expectations from this actor going forward.
- There's a possibility of Dune 3 for sure (Dune 1 & 2 only cover the first book, so I'm assuming there might be a lot more depending on how much Dennis V wants to play on this).

Negatives:
- For someone who's not read the book, the second part feels hurried. A lot of contextual information from the book has been not expanded. I can foresee people having a lot of questions.
- For someone who's read the book, I'd feel a bit agitated at the luxury of changes being undertaken in the movie to fit it into the ~3 hour timelines. But it's okay.
- Zendaya. Ughh. All she does is pout and show emotions of anger.
- They have wasted Javier Bardem in this sequel. He could have done so much more; but all he's been given is useless one-liners and a seemingly lessened presence compared to Dune 1.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 18th March 2024 at 09:31.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 10:39   #9468
Senior - BHPian

Argylle - 3/5

I'm a huge fan of spy flicks, especially Matthew Vaughn's Kingsman series, so watched this one yesterday. This bonkers spy caper is completely nonsensical and loads of fun!. It has all kinds of twists and unexpected turns that keep it constantly entertaining and just when you think you've figured out the plot - it shifts to somewhere else and makes it the perfect espionage rom-com adventure.

RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 11:32   #9469
BHPian

Dune Part 2

Amazing movie and really does justice to the novel, irrespective of the departures it makes from both the novel and the 1984 adaptation. Saw it in Imax, which is the only way to see it but what really stood out for me was the sound! For example, the deep, rumbling bass accompanying the approach of sandworms made me feel like I was watching it in 4DX - absolutely amazing!

Only downside, and I am nit-picking here, was the role of Javier Bardem which was almost comical in some scenes. Also, I felt Christopher Walken is an amazing choice for the Padshah Emporer but was very under utilized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
I had a completely different take on Dune 2.....the background score is everywhere and stops working after a point of time, even though it's great.
+1 to this, I too felt the banshee shriek was overdone!

Last edited by GTO : 20th March 2024 at 11:09. Reason: Removing movie spoilers - please avoid this in future posts. Thanks
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 12:35   #9470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Finally saw the much-anticipated movie "Ferrari".
Hey GTO, can you tell me where you saw it? It was present on the Amazon Prime US site but only as a rented option. Will it work for Indian subscribers? I eagerly want to watch it. Adam Driver is one of my favorites.

Last edited by mugen_pinaki27 : 19th March 2024 at 12:44.
Old 19th March 2024, 13:52   #9471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The best part of the movie = cars, engine sounds. Revv-matching too.
Loved the Mille Miglia bit. The Euphoria can be felt.

The rest of the story about the person and his personal side was needed to give this a well-rounded narrative about the legend.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 19:19   #9472
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen_pinaki27 View Post
Hey GTO, can you tell me where you saw it? It was present on the Amazon Prime US site but only as a rented option.
Using a sibling's account on Amazon USA, bud. That's where I watch / rent all movies unavailable in India .
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 19:37   #9473
BHPian

Watched American Fiction on Prime. Very good movie and didnt know how 2 hours passed by. The characters are very real and its shot so gently that it comes as very likable. 4/5
Old 24th March 2024, 20:15   #9474
Team-BHP Support

A free evening and an empty house prompted me to watch one of my favorite movies

American Gangster

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-american_gangster_poster.jpeg

Brilliant acting by Denzil Washington and Russel Crowe. I love some of the business principles followed by the protagonist (though very wrong and illegal business)
  • Cut out the middleman
  • Strong distribution chain
  • The importance of maintaining a discrete profile (even if you have a monopoly)
  • Strong branding
  • Price and quality

Russel Crowe is also impressive with his ruthlessness in compiling the facts

While in the Gangster Mood

I went on to watch The Godfather - thats a classic

Last edited by ajmat : 25th March 2024 at 09:38.
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 23:09   #9475
BHPian

Blackberry 4/5 : Netflix

It's all about the evolution and decline of Blackberry phones. Personally I missed the old BBM.

How the folks at RIM never foresaw that data would be cheaper in the future and believed that people won't buy iphones due to its cost and unrestricted data?

A bit overdone in few scenes, but a good watch.
VNair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 02:58   #9476
Senior - BHPian

"Up in the Air" starring George Clooney on Amazon Prime

4.5/5 It is a nice watch, real classy performance by George and the others too.

+1 for Blackberry, historical/real life stuff that happened and definitely worth a watch.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 23:38   #9477
Senior - BHPian

Four Lions on Prime is a solid 4.5/5

The movie is categorized as comedy/drama. Its a pitch-black satirical comedy about four people living in England who have decided to become suicide bombers. There are some sensitive topics which I won't mention.

Each of these guys are just plain stupid with the exception of Riz Ahmed who plays leader of the pack. They hatch an absurd plan to blast themselves in a public place and from there its a ridiculous ride that is hard to explain. It gets hilarious, not gonna lie.

The language is rough but with Bri'ish accent everything sounds so funny. The utter stupidity of the main characters is something to experience. Take note though, it is not your typical Bollywood mindless comedy. Riz Ahmed is a top notch actor but rest of the cast has acted immensely well too. Riz's family including a kid brazenly talks about Jihad and after the initial shock you ease into it. Its surreal. I don't think I have seen any other movie like this on that topic.

I won't give any more spoilers but its worth watching what happens with the group and their plan. Taking away half a star for some holes in the story but its a satire after all.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-four_lions_poster.jpg
amol4184 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 08:20   #9478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Four Lions
Saw it few years back. Four Lions is incredibly funny joyride. Best part is they try to do it seriously, and all we get to do is laugh at it

I was surprised it was on Prime India, then saw your location was USA

EDIT: Just searched and found out, it was recommended from this very thread, a decade back.

Last edited by narayans80 : 28th March 2024 at 08:22.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 09:16   #9479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNair View Post
Blackberry 4/5 : Netflix

It's all about the evolution and decline of Blackberry phones. Personally I missed the old BBM.

How the folks at RIM never foresaw that data would be cheaper in the future and believed that people won't buy iphones due to its cost and unrestricted data?

A bit overdone in few scenes, but a good watch.
Agree. The guy Doug is a little overboard. But very good historical account of a company that owned close to 50% of the smart phone market. The end of the movies was little abrupt just like the company

Most Viewed