Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2009, 12:17   #286
Team-BHP Support

Saw Psycho yesterday. Must have been nice when it released, not anymore. I could guess the entire plot and storyline in the first twenty minutes.
Old 26th April 2009, 13:58   #287
BHPian

Saw 2 movies yesterday

1) Escapist The Escapist (2008)
Nice movie about how a bunch of convicts try to escape from prison
3.5/5

2) Boogeyman 3 - Boogeyman 3 (2008) (V)
same old concept of a boogeyman, once you believe in his existance, he kills you. Keeps one glued though 3/5
Old 27th April 2009, 20:41   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
1. In Bruges, starring Colin Farrel, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes. It is a drama involving two hitmen. Excellent movie.
Thanks for mentioning this movie. I just finished watching it just now, and I enjoyed it very very much. Among the best movies I've seen in a while.

A rookie hitman and his Gay spotter (a more 'senior' hitman) escape to the Bruges (in Belgium) awaiting instructions from their employer/boss. The older one (Brendan Gleeson) uses the time they have in the town to enjoy the breathtaking sights of the culture-rich town while the younger one (Colin Farrel) grumbles about the boring town and about the time he has to spend there before moving on. What they are there for, they do not know (cooling their heels, or for a 'hit' in the town). We learn about the 'job' they had done before they came to the Bruges, and the baggage that that job saddled the younger hitman with. A few days later, the call they were waiting for comes. And then, things start happening.

The movie has its particularly funny moments (that remind us of the typical Guy Ritchie movie) and its really dark moments. It has its (non-cheesy) displays of selfless friendship, faithfulness and honor. Colin Farrel is at his best ever (IMHO) in this movie. Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes (he appears for a short while only) are also simply great.

Watching this movie and then enjoying the few after-the-movie minutes is like reading a treatise on philosophy. The more you think about it, the more the colours and shades of meaning come out. The way the concept of purgatory and then "final release" is woven into the narrative bit by bit -- first subtly and then slowly overtly -- is simply beautiful.

All the characters (the few that there are) have been built very well. Even the characters who appear for just say 3-4 minutes in total mean something or stand for something. Every one of the people who appear on the screen (except for the extra players) have an important part to play in the movie. The last few minutes of ending are a bit dramatic and a bit exaggerated, but the exaggeration is no more than what is needed to bring out the true theme of the movie. This is one of those few movies where you need to leave 'reality' outside for a few moments in the ending, but once you see the incidents for what they are, you don't feel like you're being made of fool of.

This is the kind of movie that you can watch again and again, and each viewing will give you a lot of additional enjoyment as you see various clues and 'props', and dialogues and side-characters that help subtly build the philosophical back-bone of the movie.

Must see!

Last edited by hydrashok : 27th April 2009 at 20:44.
Old 28th April 2009, 09:24   #289
Senior - BHPian

BOLT: rating 4/5.Loved it .Its better than Kunfu Panda and Wall-E's animation works.

The story is more realistic than Kunfu or Wall-E. People who love pets will love this film a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-bolt_1024_04-small.jpg  

Old 28th April 2009, 10:13   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
BOLT: rating 4/5.Loved it .Its better than Kunfu Panda and Wall-E's animation works.

The story is more realistic than Kunfu or Wall-E. People who love pets will love this film a lot.
+1 to the movie being awesome. Cant rate it better than Kungfu Panda and WallE though. Animations arent really supposed to be totally realistic, u knowo But the movie is a definite must watch. Really loved the pigeons in it.

Also saw Monsters vs Aliens. Nothing great about this movie. Humor is below average and story isnt that engrossing. I'd say skip it.
Old 28th April 2009, 10:22   #291
BHPian

Saw The International yesterday. Very average movie. I am a big fan of Clive Owen, this was a let down. Naomi Watts does not impress either. This is supposedly an action/ thriller, but the action and thrills are sorely missing. The plot is an international financial conspiracy, and a couple of agents chasing the bad guys all over Europe. The start is decent. So is the (rather sudden) end. Give it a miss.
Old 28th April 2009, 11:31   #292
Senior - BHPian

Is BOLT an old movie or a new one?
Old 28th April 2009, 11:53   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Is BOLT an old movie or a new one?
Nov 21,2008. The Disney one.
Old 28th April 2009, 12:14   #294
Senior - BHPian

Oh ok thanks, hadnt heard about the movie hence the question .
Old 28th April 2009, 22:46   #295
BHPian

@hydrashok
Your review of In Bruges was cool. I think No Country for Old Men is of the same genre.

Meanwhile I finished watching Munich. What a performance by Eric Bana! He was also very good as prince Hector in Troy. Can you believe he started his acting career as a comedian?

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 28th April 2009 at 23:03. Reason: Incoherence
Old 2nd May 2009, 14:24   #296
Senior - BHPian

The Kingdom: 3.5/5

Story about Iraq/Terrorist/FBI. Things like this might be happening there even today. Would suggest seeing this.

The Spirit: 2.5

Comic book derived and hence almost comic. Cop dies, and but survives back thanks to some experimental and is the Phantom of that city; fighting against one villian (who too has similar power, Samuel Jackson). Eva Mendes acts in this

Valkyrie: 3.5/5

My salute to the real Stauffenberg. Film reminds you that at that time period there were Germans who wanted peace and hated Hitler.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-spiritpostergunfightsept01.jpg  

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-thekingdom-wince.jpg  

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-valkyrie_poster.jpg  

Last edited by jkdas : 2nd May 2009 at 14:29.
Old 2nd May 2009, 14:32   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Kingdom: 3.5/5
Story about Iraq/Terrorist/FBI.
You mean Saudi Arabia right?

X-Men Origins:Wolverine
Some great action, full of fight scenes, explosions. This being a prequel to all the X-Men movies, it was not a problem for me as I have not seen any of the X-Men movies. Though, this movie makes me want to see them. Loved Hugh Jackmans acting in the movie.

Marley & Me
A very good movie for dog lovers. A dogs complete life and its effects on people around has been portrayed in such a wonderful way. It brought tears to my eyes.

Last edited by Stratos : 2nd May 2009 at 14:37.
Old 2nd May 2009, 15:20   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Valkyrie: 3.5/5

My salute to the real Stauffenberg. Film reminds you that at that time period there were Germans who wanted peace and hated Hitler.
A bad rehash of an old story. While the older movie "The plot to kill Hitler" was an OK movie, this one was awful IMO.
Tom Cruise was wooden and boring and played Stauffenberg very poorly. The movie does not deserve anything more than a 2/5.

In my opinion, the history and facts behind Colonel Stauffenberg are truly admirable, not the movie Valkyrie.
Old 3rd May 2009, 10:45   #299
Team-BHP Support

GOOD WILL HUNTING

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-133968.jpg

A simple story told in a fine manner drawing out praiseworthy performances from it cast, thats GWH for you.

Will Hunting (played by Matt Damon) is a youngster with a photographic memory, and a genius when it comes to solving mathematical problems many of which have even the students of MIT flummoxed, where he works as a janitor. His rare talent is identified by a professor from the univ, who sets about trying to mould him, and make him turn away from his wasteful ways of living and assault.

Enters Robin Williams who is entrusted the job of reforming the genius, and convincing him to utilize his abilities. An interesting friendship is shown between the main protagonist and Chuckie (played by Ben Affleck). A love interest is also thrown in, for reminiscence.

Here is Matt Damon before the Bourne series came his way, although it is Robin Williams who is the show stealer. Certainly worth a watch, if you havent seen it already.

Bennyboy Rating : ****
Old 3rd May 2009, 14:27   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post

Marley & Me
A very good movie for dog lovers. A dogs complete life and its effects on people around has been portrayed in such a wonderful way. It brought tears to my eyes.
i really enjoyed this movie - does bring tears in the end!

Most Viewed