Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2009, 13:27   #511
Senior - BHPian

Oops Thanks for reminding me of Om Puri Sam

Yes he is there in the movie in a small yet important role.

As for his brilliant performance; well he is always Brilliant but yes the role was very small.

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th June 2009 at 13:28.
Old 8th June 2009, 13:30   #512
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Techno, is there some reason you omitted to mention our very own Om Puri and his brilliant performance?
I would second that. He was great although a limited role.

I was told that the man-eaters are on display in some museum. Am not sure where. Does anyone know?
Old 8th June 2009, 13:34   #513
Senior - BHPian

Watched "The Great Debaters" over the weekend. Directed by Denzel Washington, also starring him.Movie is about a period in American history when the divide between the Whites and the Negros was huge. Depicts various instances of hate crimes against the Negros, and how a small town Negro college strives through it all to win debate competitions across the country.

Great performance by most of the lead roles. However, the side of the Whites was a little weak, in performance and no major lead characters.

I'd rate it 3.5/5
Old 8th June 2009, 13:37   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw " Into the Blue" starring Paul Walker and Jessica Alba

It's a story of a couple who are professional divers and on a dive with another couple friends discover a treasure in the ocean and as usual the bad guys come to know about it and how they escape from them and all makes up the rest of the story. Pretty cliched story and this movie is like a Karan Johar movie.

Pretty people, pretty location, amazing ocean cinematography and everything about the movie is "pretty" . Especially Jessica Alba !!!

It's worth a watch just for her.

2.5/5
Old 8th June 2009, 13:42   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
I would second that. He was great although a limited role.

I was told that the man-eaters are on display in some museum. Am not sure where. Does anyone know?
They are there in Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago.

Quote:
n March 1898, while trying to build a bridge in Africa for the British East Africa Company, Lt. Col. John Henry Patterson lost nearly 140 of his workers to just two lions before Patterson and others were able to kill the predators. That story was turned into a book by Patterson "The Man-Eaters of Tsavo" which was later adapted into two films, "Bwana Devil" (1952) and "The Ghost and the Darkness" (1996). The two lions were stuffed, and put on display at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago.

Source
Something more on the story

Quote:
In March 1898 the British started building a railway bridge over the Tsavo (SAH-vo) River in East Africa. Over the next nine months, two large male lions killed and ate nearly 140 railway workers. Crews tried to scare off the lions and built campfires and thorn fences for protection, but to no avail. Hundreds of workers fled Tsavo, halting construction on the bridge.

Before work could resume, chief engineer Lt. Col. John Henry Patterson (1865-1947) had to eliminate the lions and their threat. After many near misses, he finally shot the first lion on December 9, 1898, and three weeks later brought down the second. The first lion killed measured nine feet, eight inches (3 m) from nose to tip of tail. It took eight men to carry the carcass back to camp. The construction crew returned and completed the bridge in February 1899.

(The 1996 movie "The Ghost and the Darkness" was based on Patterson's adventures in Tsavo.)

Source

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th June 2009 at 13:44.
Old 8th June 2009, 13:43   #516
Team-BHP Support

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-the_island_4.jpg

The Island (2005)

The movie has some gripping chase sequences.
The world has ended and people live in these secure domes. Everyone waits for a lottery that will send them to The Island.

The hero keeps questioning the rules and then finally discovers that there in no island. In fact they are all clones waiting for when they are needed for harvesting the organs. He escapes along with Scarlet Johansen.

Caught this movie on WB.
The chase sequences are very well choreographed.
Old 8th June 2009, 14:13   #517
Team-BHP Support

Don't know if it's already mentioned here. Anybody likes Dog Day Afternoon?
Old 8th June 2009, 14:16   #518
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Goodfellas

Goodfellas

Another gangsta movie starring Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci, Ray Liotta and directed by Martin Scorsese.

It is also one of the rare gangster movies which has its share of humour unlike any other. The story revolves around Henry Hill (Ray Liotta) who always wanted to be a gangster (movie starts with this sentence) and how he grows up to the likes of James Conway (De Niro) and Tommy DeVito (Pesci) - established gangsters.

Pesci is full of life and has delivered one of his best performances. Another great movie from Scrosese.

Rating - 4/5
Old 8th June 2009, 14:21   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

It's worth a watch just for her.
dude lately a lot of movies that you see are summarized with some such statement better keep a check on your bluray collection
Old 8th June 2009, 14:50   #520
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Yes, yes.

"Tell them we are not homosexuals."

A must watch.
Old 8th June 2009, 14:52   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Yep. One of Al Pacino's earlier works. Very good movie, albeit a bit long. Pacino holds up a bank with his friend, and things go wrong. Nice performances, and a decent story. Some pretty dark humor thrown in, and you have a movie worth watching.
Old 8th June 2009, 15:19   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post

Young Al Pacino in a terrific role.
Old 8th June 2009, 16:23   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Did you watch Tashan in the theatre as well ? Main prem ki Deewani hoon ??
OT i remember watching a movie called "O Darling Ye hai India", after seeing that movie, i read reviews, ask trusted people before watching any new movie. Especially Hindi.

Movies i saw this weekend:
Seven Pounds (Will smith; expected more from this movie, good but could've been better)
Before Sunset (Sequel to Before Sunrise; One of the only worthy sequels to a movie after The Godfather, not withstanding the disastrous 3rd one)
Appaloosa (Western - * Renee Zellweger, Jeremy Irons, Viggo Mortensen of Eastern Promises fame, Ed Harris who incidently has directed it)

Lined up for this week:
Black Snake Moan (Controversial Movie: Samuel L. Jackson, Christina Ricci)
Death Race (The older one)
Doubt (Philip Seymour Hoffman & Meryl Streep; need i say more!)
Before the Devil knows you're dead (Repeat watch again for Hoffman & ooo la la Marisa Tomei)
The Fortune Cookie (Jack Lemmon)
Double Indemnity (1944-45 movie)

Lets see how much time i get!
Old 8th June 2009, 16:44   #524
Senior - BHPian

My worst was watching Mad Max 2 with my GF in a cinema where she was the only representative of the species. We left within 10 minutes. We both liked Mel Gibson & decided to go to this movie. This was in 1992.
Old 8th June 2009, 16:50   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
dude lately a lot of movies that you see are summarized with some such statement better keep a check on your bluray collection
If the movie is good, then the review has to end with an incentive ( for others to watch it)..right?

Most Viewed