Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2009, 09:53   #856
Senior - BHPian

Watched this yesterday -

Harold & Kumar - Guantanamo Bay - I started the movie thinking it would be just another cheap comedy as I have not seen the first part ( Hamburger something ) but surprise surprise !! This movie was one of the most hilarious movies I have ever seen.

Absolutely intelligent comedy, good humour, and all the sleaze you can expect in a funny way. With a story which was quite interesting.

Must watch - But its not one that you would want to watch it with the family or even the missus Its got some content which is quite hardcore.

Anyways - 4/5 at least.

Now watching DUPLICITY - Julia Roberts & Clive Owen.

Have WATCHMEN & TRANSFORMERS waiting to be watched.
Old 8th August 2009, 10:37   #857
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " Lucky Number Slevin" Starring Morgan Freeman, Ben Kingsley Bruce Willis and Josh Hartnett.

Its a story of a gang war between to mafia bosses ( Freeman and Kingsley) and Josh getting caught between these two blokes in a case of mistaken identity.

Very different style of movie narration and cinematography. Only these two are worth mentioning and ofcourse, i never fail to praise Morgan's acting. Otherwise, its just a timepass movie and can easily be given a miss.

2/5
Old 8th August 2009, 15:46   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
i am going to watch Gi Joe - The Rise of Cobra today evening. expecting it to be another transformer in making. will keep ya'll updated.
finally managed to catch one at united artist theater

let me be honest here. i used to play with gi-joe figures when i was very young. so i maybe a little bit biased, having played with them and their vehicles.

when i heard that a movie is coming i was very excited. the teasers looked very appealing and was hoping that there was more action than to what was shown in teaser as that has been norm in recent action films like terminator salvation. and it doesn't disappoint.

so with pretty high expectation i went to watch this flick and i am in two minds after watching this. the story is nothing to write home about, its obviously good vs evil in which the good wins. the action or the CGI is where it takes the cake. just one word MIND BLOWING. the car chase sequence is among the best i have ever scene. the final action is very good except for some scenes where it really feels like watching cartoons. this one too has action from start to finish and is a bit loud. while transformers 2 relied on larger than life explosions, sommers did a wonderful job of taking a bit tone down approach while also making good use of camera angles, slow-mo and fantastic cgi.

Brendon Fraser has a cameo and so does Arnold Vosloo - the Imotep from The Mummy. Sienna Miller does what she is paid to do and she doesn't disappoint. the rest of the crew are just the regular stuff. the characterization is a bit sketchy. and a sequel is definitely coming looking at how it ended. so geared up for something even more spectacular.

i would recommend a 1 time watch purely for its action. also the concept of nano-technology is a bit new and reminds me of TATA Nano

3.5/5...all 3.5 goes to action and cgi.

Last edited by chevelle : 8th August 2009 at 15:49.
Old 8th August 2009, 16:55   #859

Harold & Kumar series

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Watched this yesterday -

Harold & Kumar - Guantanamo Bay - I started the movie thinking it would be just another cheap comedy as I have not seen the first part ( Hamburger something ) but surprise surprise !! This movie was one of the most hilarious movies I have ever seen.

Absolutely intelligent comedy, good humour, and all the sleaze you can expect in a funny way. With a story which was quite interesting.

Must watch - But its not one that you would want to watch it with the family or even the missus Its got some content which is quite hardcore.

Anyways - 4/5 at least.

Now watching DUPLICITY - Julia Roberts & Clive Owen.

Have WATCHMEN & TRANSFORMERS waiting to be watched.
You need to watch the first part (Harold & Kumar go to white castle) It way more funnier than the sequel.
Old 8th August 2009, 17:13   #860
BHPian

Movies lined up for this weekend

Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens - 1922 - Horror
(Nosferatu, A Symphony of Horror - Silent cinema)

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-nosferatu.jpg

Dakota Skye - 2008 - Drama
Brief Synopsis:
The coming of age story of a seventeen year-old girl who has a super power. Dakota Skye has the ability to see through any lie that is told to her. The combination of knowing the truth behind every lie throughout her life and the fact that she is seventeen has lead to her become bitter and apathetic. When Jonah, her boyfriend's best friend from New York, comes into town and doesn't lie, it shakes up her world and causes her to re-examine her own life.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-dakota-skye.jpg

How to Steal a Million - 1966 - Comedy/Crime/Romance
* Audrey Hepburn, Peter O'Toole

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-how-steal-million.jpg

The Great Race - 1965 - Comedy/Romance
* Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood, Jack Lemmon

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-great-race.jpg

One of my favorite movies, owned the video cassette years ago. Awesome watch.
Old 9th August 2009, 12:52   #861
Senior - BHPian

The Naked Gun series

Saw the "The Naked Gun" series over the past few weeks. They are one of the most hilarious and the best comedies i have ever seen. The movies are full of gags and some spoofs and it makes you laugh every min. A must watch with friends. All the 3 parts are equally good and deserve five stars " ***** "

The Naked Gun From the Files of Police Squad! (1988)
The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear (1991)
Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult (1994)

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-0792166469.01.lzzzzzzz.jpg

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-nakedgun212thesmelloffearxlarge.jpg

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-233525.1020..jpg

Last edited by heavy_foot : 9th August 2009 at 12:54.
Old 10th August 2009, 12:21   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens - 1922 - Horror
(Nosferatu, A Symphony of Horror - Silent cinema)
If you liked Nosferatu (1922) you may want to watch the 1978 remake by Werner Herzog. It stars Klaus Kinski and Isabelle Adjani and is shot beautifully.
Old 10th August 2009, 15:44   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
If you liked Nosferatu (1922) you may want to watch the 1978 remake by Werner Herzog. It stars Klaus Kinski and Isabelle Adjani and is shot beautifully.
Thanks. I will surely try to see if its available. I got to see the Nosferatu by chance as my cousin from the US had come down and she had a new set of DVD's she normally carries while travelling with her portable player. Most of the libraries don't have such Classics forget Foreign (This is German) but i will try at Sarvodaya Khar. Heard he has a good collection of World Cinema.

Old 10th August 2009, 15:52   #864
Senior - BHPian

Saw these two movies this weekend.
Public Enemies-
Very good acting by Depp. However movie is a tad slow.
Good timepass though.
Rating -3/5

Rounders- Watched it on TV.
Really liked it. Its all about poker. Watch it if you are a poker fan.
Rating - 4/5
Old 10th August 2009, 16:20   #865
BHPian

Vkochar,

How was the movie DUPLICITY??Just picked it up from the DVD store.Reviews ,please???
Old 10th August 2009, 17:08   #866
BHPian

I saw the harold and kumar series over the weekend - must say quite hilarious. Not a family movie though!
my rating 4/5
Old 11th August 2009, 16:33   #867
Senior - BHPian

So, i saw Ice Age 3 day before. I found it quite unexpectedly funny! Much better than Ice Age 2. Absolutely loved the character of Buck. "I dont speak wind." LOL. Its a must watch if you are a fan of Ice Age.

Also saw The Hangover yesterday. I found it disappointing actually. And for once, we can say Hollywood was inspired by a Bollywood movie Sunday anyone? Heather Graham was a sight to behold though. Unfortunately her role was very small. Apart from that, the movie to me was a cheap attempt at mimicking a bunch of other successful comedy formulae, that just didnt come together at all. This one surely belongs to the trash can.
Old 11th August 2009, 21:06   #868
BHPian

Just finished watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. The Bachchan starrer Satte Pe Satta was copied from this movie. To tell you the truth, I had enjoyed the copy a lot more.
Old 12th August 2009, 00:57   #869
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " Requiem of Dream" starring Jeniffer O'Connelly and Jared Leto. My god what a movie.

After watching this movie, i was completely disturbed and could not sleep in the night. I plan to sue the person who recommended this movie

It's the dark story of 4 people who's dreams gets squashed by life and what ensues after that and how they cope with their life. If you have a strong heart, watch it, others you can give it a skip.

I felt terribly sorry for Jared's Mom ( she won an oscar for this role, i think) and also for Jennifer. Wayne and Jared were ok because they brought it upon themselves.

I dont even know what to rate this movie since it was a love and hate feeling. So i will leave the rating wide open
Old 12th August 2009, 12:23   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raajiv View Post
Vkochar,

How was the movie DUPLICITY??Just picked it up from the DVD store.Reviews ,please???
Nice it was. Though not in the league of Mrs. & Mr. Smith.

It's more of a comic, modern love story between two ex - Intelligence agency agents who are working for normal companies and trying to save their secrets.

Its a very fast movie and gets confusing if you do not give it all the concentration.

I'd say it's a definete one time watch and I'd give it a 3/5.

Clive Owen was better in Inside Man ! Julia is excellent as always.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks