Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 16:20   #1006
Senior - BHPian

District 9 is one good movie to watch out over the weekend. Has a 90% favourable rating on Rotten Tomatoes, which is very rare.
Old 10th September 2009, 10:50   #1007
Team-BHP Support

How To lose friends & alienate people

A British scribe dreams of working for a top celeb mgazine, afer initially struggling with the low rung varities. His dream comes true when he gets a chance to work for a high profile mag in NYC.

Movie deals with his adjusting to the totally different work environment, and his take on how work should be done.

Gillian Anderson also stars in this movie, and her age just shows!

Good timepass, eventually althuogh the start was quite promising. Switches to rather predictable tunes as the movie progresses.

Bennyboy Rating : ***

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-movieposter.jpg
Old 10th September 2009, 22:10   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
District 9 is one good movie to watch out over the weekend. Has a 90% favourable rating on Rotten Tomatoes, which is very rare.
+1 I too watched it last weekend..simply astounding. Initially thought the movie was going on like Quarantine or .Rec. But after initial 10 or 15 minutes the movie was back on track. Thankfully got the subtitles, if not, couldnt have able to understand what the prawns uttered. Best sci-fi with excellent CG and a good toast of emotion packed. My rating 4.5/5 Must watch.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th September 2009 at 12:14. Reason: Lets keep the Climax a suspense for others who intend to watch this movie, thanks
Old 11th September 2009, 09:23   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
+1 I too watched it last weekend..simply astounding. Initially thought the movie was going on like Quarantine or .Rec. But after initial 10 or 15 minutes the movie was back on track. Thankfully got the subtitles, if not, couldnt have able to understand what the prawns uttered. Best sci-fi with excellent CG and a good toast of emotion packed. My rating 4.5/5 Must watch.
Have already booked to watch it at a multiplex tomorrow. Seems like a good movie (metacritic: 80%, rotten tomatoes: 90%, IMDB: 80%).

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th September 2009 at 12:14. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 11th September 2009, 14:12   #1010
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Anyone caught nothing to lose? Nick Beam will have you in splits, must watch on a boring evening.

And yes, in case you've missed hangover, do NOT. Another laugh riot.
Old 11th September 2009, 14:46   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Somehow I've a different feeling about District 9. It's just OK kind of movie, definitely watchable but overhyped (ala Slumdog Millionaire ;-) )
And the same day, I watched Valkyrie also and I found it to be better watch than District 9, or probably it's because of my psyche of liking WW2 movies. [I know they are different kind of movies to compare but that's what I felt]

Last edited by kaushik_s : 11th September 2009 at 14:48.
Old 11th September 2009, 15:25   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Saw- 'Thick as Thieves - The Code' last night.
Really liked it.
Morgan freeman and Antonio had acted quiet well.
Rating- 4/5
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-thickasthievesposter.jpg  

Old 11th September 2009, 15:28   #1013
Distinguished - BHPian

Can you imagine i watched recently Walt Disney's " Sleeping Beauty-50th Anniversary Edition". No comments as i was forced to watch
Old 12th September 2009, 09:33   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Watched District 9. It is good but because of so many previous alien invasion type Hollywood movies one gets a feel of deja vu.
Old 12th September 2009, 21:49   #1015
BHPian

Weekend watch: Drag Me to Hell

This one's a well made horror flick. I don't watch many of this genre but I had enjoyed The Sixth Sense. Today's experience wasn't anywhere close to that though.
Old 13th September 2009, 00:48   #1016
Senior - BHPian

Bruno - THE most disgusting movie iv ever seen.
Am a huge fan of Sacha baron and his other alter egos (Ali g and Borat) but Bruno is just intolerable.
The movie was not funny at all.!

1/5
Old 13th September 2009, 09:34   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Bruno - THE most disgusting movie iv ever seen.
Am a huge fan of Sacha baron and his other alter egos (Ali g and Borat) but Bruno is just intolerable.
The movie was not funny at all.!

1/5
TIME Magazine recently reported that Sacha Cohen is under the illusion that he is the `star' when infact it was Borat.
Old 13th September 2009, 10:41   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Somehow I've a different feeling about District 9. It's just OK kind of movie, definitely watchable but overhyped (ala Slumdog Millionaire ;-) )
And the same day, I watched Valkyrie also and I found it to be better watch than District 9, or probably it's because of my psyche of liking WW2 movies. [I know they are different kind of movies to compare but that's what I felt]
I watched it yesterday. I'd say its definitely not over hyped. Its not at all about the alien invasion since to be honest, no "invasion" ever occurs in the entire movie. I think the whole purpose of the aliens in the movie is just to push the idea of people that are oppressed in slums and how they are ostracised. The movie is just brilliant social commentary and the denigratory term prawns used throughout simply asserts the fact. The name of the movie is a play on District 6 which was an area in Johannesburg which was declared as "white only" during the apartheid era and thousands of colored people were thrown out of their homes and forcibly put in colonies outside the city.

Anyone who thought this movie was an alien invasion movie simply missed the point! You should probably watch it again. Its right up there with Blade Runner and Donnie Darko as one of the best sci-fi works ever created IMHO.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 13th September 2009 at 10:43.
Old 13th September 2009, 14:19   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Nope, ROC, I never took it as alien invasion as it was not one. But I gave my rating purely on entertainment basis. It was good but not that great as it made out to be (just my point of view). I even got the message that you are trying to say but somehow that didn't cut it for me. May be again it's because of too much of high expectations or may be I'm not that intelligent. May be I need to give a 2nd sitting to understand it.
Old 13th September 2009, 21:05   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Anyone who thought this movie was an alien invasion movie simply missed the point! You should probably watch it again. Its right up there with Blade Runner and Donnie Darko as one of the best sci-fi works ever created IMHO.
Alien Invasion was the wrong phrase to use. The breathless kind of ambience of the movie till Van De Merwe's metamorphosis started, made it difficult to appreciate the deep social comment within.

Most Viewed