Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 14:06   #1651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
If you like tom clancy, check out the movie 'The hunt for red october'. It is a nice movie, and again the book is comprehensive. Sean connery excels in the movie.
I read the book already. +1 to what you said, its an edge of the seat roller coaster ride. Will check out the movie soon.

I wonder why hollywood does not make movies based on John Grisham novels. I see they did only for a couple of them ( Client and Runaway Jury). Any others that i am not aware about?
Old 21st January 2010, 14:12   #1652
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Any others that i am not aware about?
Here are a few more

A Time to Kill
The Firm
The Pelican brief
Rainman
The chamber

Last edited by JVH : 21st January 2010 at 14:13.
Old 21st January 2010, 14:30   #1653
BHPian

Saw The Reader. Kate winslet got Oscars for it . Great movie. 4/5

Last edited by manavdotcom : 21st January 2010 at 14:32.
Old 21st January 2010, 14:34   #1654
Team-BHP Support

The Firm was one movie where they actually improved the ending compared to the book. The book ending was depressing.

JVH, not bad, you got almost everything, but I remembered one more. BTW, I think it is Rainmaker, not Rainman.

The Client.

I am sure we can find more if we look up IMDB.

Last edited by Samurai : 21st January 2010 at 14:37.
Old 21st January 2010, 14:48   #1655
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The Firm was one movie where they actually improved the ending compared to the book. The book ending was depressing.
Yes, agree with you. And I did not like the movie at all. Tom Cruise screws up the character. The book is much much better.
Old 23rd January 2010, 05:48   #1656
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Cannibal Holocaust

Just finished watching this movie. Let me warn you that this is not a movie for the faint-hearted. It takes some guts to go through the entire movie. As the title suggests, its about cannibalism in the deep bushes of Amazon jungle. 4 weirdos wander into the jungle, get lost, get caught by the cannibals and the rest you can imagine.

It is the brutality and the raw scenes which make you feel sick. This movie also shows how the civilized man also exploits the lesser mere mortals of the jungle and claims his so called superiority over everything.

Try to avoid it unless you are very curious like I was. I believe the movie was banned in many countries and both the human rights and the animal rights activists beat the hell out of the movie makers.

No ratings.

@Samurai - Thanks for the correction. It was indeed Rainmaker. Rainman was another classic act by Dustin Hoffman
Old 23rd January 2010, 12:09   #1657
BHPian

Yesterday night saw the movie Hurt Locker The Hurt Locker (2008)
A good movie about soldiers in a bomb detection squad posted in iraq.
It a combination of a movie and documentary where the makers have tried to show - what a soldier goes through. Some scenes of bomb detection and diffusion are really good.

my rating : 3.5/5.0
Old 23rd January 2010, 12:43   #1658
Senior - BHPian

Sherlock Holmes another guy Ritchie classic.
second favorite after snatch.
Old 23rd January 2010, 14:14   #1659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Just finished watching this movie. Let me warn you that this is not a movie for the faint-hearted. It takes some guts to go through the entire movie. As the title suggests, its about cannibalism in the deep bushes of Amazon jungle. 4 weirdos wander into the jungle, get lost, get caught by the cannibals and the rest you can imagine.

It is the brutality and the raw scenes which make you feel sick. This movie also shows how the civilized man also exploits the lesser mere mortals of the jungle and claims his so called superiority over everything.

Try to avoid it unless you are very curious like I was. I believe the movie was banned in many countries and both the human rights and the animal rights activists beat the hell out of the movie makers.
I believe I've posted a review of the film somewhere on the forum. Cannibal Holocaust is one of my favorite movies. The message of the movie is that the humans are by nature violent and aggressive. The cannibal tribes (The Yanamamo and the Shamatari) have changed little since the stone age and so has modern man. The only difference is that we now slaughter, kill and expolit using more advanced and deadlier weapons. So who are the real savages is it us or them?

Not only was the movie banned in several countries but the director (Ruggero Deodato) was summoned to court and had to prove that all the actors are alive and that they didn't really kill anyone. I wouldn't discourage anyone from watching this movie, however stay away if you're an animal lover 'cos this movie has real scenes of animals being slaughttered on screen.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 23rd January 2010 at 14:17.
Old 24th January 2010, 00:04   #1660
Senior - BHPian

Shinjuku Incident: 3.5/5

A Jackie Chan film but one that is serious (Drama). Ist about illegal Chinese in Japan and how they try to make a living. Dark sides of illegal business.

Get Smart : 3/5

Its fun. The hero gets promoted as an Agent (of a top secret govt agency) at last and gets paired to an experienced Agent (Anne Hathaway) to find out about a terroist group who has nuclear power. Good family movie.

G-Force: 3/5

Walt Disney movie. Now its about a some guniea pigs who are specially trained to take on FBI challenging mission. They can talk to humans, are smart, have sophisticated gadgets etc. Good for a one time watch for family. Kids will love.

Transporter 3 : 3.5/5

E-Class vs Audi A8 W12 Phew. Was better than first part. The locations are drool and so are the roads ( and stunts ) .
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-shinjuku_incident_affiche.jpg  

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-get_smart.jpg  

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-t3_5.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 24th January 2010, 09:59   #1661
Senior - BHPian

On this weekend, had some extra time, and so was fortunate enough in watching 3-4 good/excellent movies:
1. Forgetting Sarah Marshall 8.5/10
2. Frozen River 9/10
3. Mississippi Burning 9/10
4. Flash of Genius 7/10
Of direct interest to this forum is the movie Flash of Genius, which is based on the `inventor of the intermittent windshield wiper' and how he fought and won against Ford for patent infringement. The case is here:

Robert Kearns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 24th January 2010, 10:24   #1662
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I believe I've posted a review of the film somewhere on the forum. Cannibal Holocaust is one of my favorite movies. The message of the movie is that the humans are by nature violent and aggressive. The cannibal tribes (The Yanamamo and the Shamatari) have changed little since the stone age and so has modern man. The only difference is that we now slaughter, kill and expolit using more advanced and deadlier weapons. So who are the real savages is it us or them?
This is a very misleading theory they are trying to spread. Early humans were not all cannibals and violent people. The tribes they show are aberrations since they never evolved like rest of the world, something wrong with them genetically I suppose.

If you are really curious, try reading Jean Auel's Earth's Children series. They are highly researched books, basically a fiction based on pre-historic Europe when Cro-Magnon & Neanderthals roamed the earth. Only 5 books exists, and they are all absolute page turners. Fans have been waiting for 8 years for the 6th book. They are all very good repeat readable books, I have read each of the 5 books, at least 10 times.
Old 24th January 2010, 10:29   #1663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If you are really curious, try reading Jean Auel's Earth's Children series.
hope they make a 5 part movie out of this
Old 24th January 2010, 10:34   #1664
Team-BHP Support

They did make one movie, from the first book. But it didn't fly, it received an Oscar nomination for makeup though.

The Clan of the Cave Bear (1986)

But, this is not a movie kind of book. It has mind blowing details, which can't be reproduced in the movie.
Old 24th January 2010, 23:06   #1665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Here are a few more

A Time to Kill
The Firm
The Pelican brief
Rainman
The chamber
Oh Yeah, how can i forget the first 3. But, i didnt know they made Rainman and The chamber too. That's nice !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks