Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2010, 01:52   #1681
BHPian

Watched invention of lying after a colleague told me about its story

Its about a world where no one has ability to lie and people would express out everything coming from their mind

Imagine someone gets ability to lie such a world

nothing much in the movie, i watched it just out of curiosity about things that would happen in such a situation

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-invention_of_lying_ver2.jpg
Old 30th January 2010, 14:19   #1682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Saw Blind Side (The Blind Side (2009)) - the true story of how American footballer Michael Oher (Michael Oher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) was taken in by Tuohy family and raised to become successful in life!
my rating 4.5/5
Loved the movie and loved Sandra Bullock even more.
Old 31st January 2010, 23:27   #1683
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone seen Postman, it is an epic movie similar to Waterworld and Dances with the wolves, by Kevin Costner again. It is an old favourite of mine, found the DVD at Planet-M yesterday, bought right away.

The Postman (1997)
Old 1st February 2010, 09:34   #1684
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Has anyone seen Postman, it is an epic movie similar to Waterworld and Dances with the wolves, by Kevin Costner again. It is an old favourite of mine, found the DVD at Planet-M yesterday, bought right away.

The Postman (1997)
I have seen it a very long time ago. To be honest, I did not recall liking the movie a lot but it was a great concept. His 'Dances with Wolves' remains one of my favourites
Old 1st February 2010, 09:53   #1685
Team-BHP Support

Kevin Costner is no Mel Gibson, so it is hard to see him as epic hero. But when you see it on it TV with little expectations, it is kind of nice. Same thing happened with Waterworld, it tanks royally in the boxoffice. But if you see it now, it is not that bad.
Old 1st February 2010, 13:07   #1686
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " The International" starring Clive Owen and Naomi Watts.

Story is about an international bank involved in controlling the arms deals that happen in most countries. Powerful story and possible that such activities exist in real life.

A very fast and gripping movie with action taking place in different cities in Europe. This movie almost looks like the Bourne series but they havent been able to capture the beauty of Europe as effectively as in Bourne movies.

Also, Clive Owen is creating himself a reputation of unshaven and on the edge type of persona with some good intensity flowing out of him.

It indeed is a must watch for all espionage thriller lovers.

4/5
Old 1st February 2010, 20:01   #1687
BHPian

Murder on Orient Express
Caught up with this classic unadulterated detective movie. Very refreshing to see a movie devoid of guns/ explosives to solve a case. A must watch if you like detective movies.
My Rating 4.5/5
Old 2nd February 2010, 08:11   #1688
BANNED

Happened to see 88miniutes starring Al Pacino, a good paced thriller. He is a Psychoanalyst with FBI and also a part time prof at the university teaching about crime and methods.
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:36   #1689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Generally the term Classic refers to the movies made in Hollywood studio system, basically 60s and before. I guess the definition is getting loose these days.
You are absolutely right, this occurred to me after I posted & I thought of rephrasing, but was too lazy to log back in...
Thanks for pointing it out
Old 8th February 2010, 10:28   #1690
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Duel

A great highway thriller of a salesman who gets involved with 40 ton monster truck on his way to an appointment. What happens next is something no one can imagine. The screenplay is just fantastic considering the Hero and the truck are the only central characters. Come to think of it, this was Spielberg's film even before Jaws and Indian Jones. A must watch.

Rating - 4.5/5

Mystic River

I'm beginning to like Clint Eastwood directed movies. This is a story of 3 childhood friends who reunite on a not so pleasant occasion in their late 30's. All 3 have taken different directions and all 3 are interlinked on this rendezvous. I thought this was a great story with some pretty good performances. The climax was slightly disappointing considering the build to it. A nice suspense on a lazy Sunday evening.

Rating - 3/5
Old 8th February 2010, 11:36   #1691
BHPian

JVH if you like Eastwood's movies do also check out Gran Torino (and no it has nothing to do with cars unfortunately but very good nevertheless)

I watched "The Wrestler" which was nominated for Oscars last years and my rating is 3/5
Very impressive acting by Mickey Rourke in what is really quite a sad story.
Old 8th February 2010, 13:08   #1692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
I'm beginning to like Clint Eastwood directed movies.
One of my favorite Clint directed movies has to be The Bridges of Madison County. Starring Clint Eastwood himself and one of the finest actresses ever Meryl Streep, its a must watch. Its a mature love story & if you liked Before Sunrise & Before sunset, you'll love it!
Old 8th February 2010, 13:10   #1693
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
One of my favorite Clint directed movies has to be The Bridges of Madison County. Starring Clint Eastwood himself and one of the finest actresses ever Meryl Streep, its a must watch. Its a mature love story & if you liked Before Sunrise & Before sunset, you'll love it!
And an awesome book as well.

I am not much into Romance novels. But this one is a very special story and touches a rare spot.
Old 8th February 2010, 13:21   #1694
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Ofcourse I loved BS & BS. I keep watching them often you know!

Madison County is on my list too. And Meryl Streep in a career spanning 4 decades has acted in 40 odd films, been nominated in more than half of them for various awards and won a few as well. Need one say more about her?

Edit - Meryl Streep has made a lot of appearances on the idiot box as well and has been equally showered with awards.

Last edited by JVH : 8th February 2010 at 13:22.
Old 8th February 2010, 14:14   #1695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Mystic River

I'm beginning to like Clint Eastwood directed movies. This is a story of 3 childhood friends who reunite on a not so pleasant occasion in their late 30's. All 3 have taken different directions and all 3 are interlinked on this rendezvous. I thought this was a great story with some pretty good performances. The climax was slightly disappointing considering the build to it. A nice suspense on a lazy Sunday evening.

Rating - 3/5
Duel sounds like an interesting movie. Need to check out if Bigflix have them in their inventory.

I got Mystic River lined up this week. Nice to see a good review on it.

Checked out " The Game" starring Michael Douglas and Sean Penn.

It's a fantastic and unrealistic storyline wherein Sean gifts his brother ( Douglas) a gift for his birthday that makes his life total upside down as for entire movie you cannot figure out if what is happening to him is for real or is it a "game"

Nice storyline even if its a bit over the top but, Michael Douglas ( i am big fan of his baritone voice) takes it to a different level. Sean has a tiny role but he too excels as usual.

A gripping and taut thriller. Do check it out

3.5/5

P.S: Anybody saw " Cheaper by Dozen" starring Steve Martin? I need some laughs now, will i get it?

Most Viewed