Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 20:23   #1831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
Watched this movie halfway and was totally hooked by the imagery. Was in a remote area and electricity failed. Have been haunted by it ever since but unable to find it.
There is this scene in the movie where his doctor explains the difference between angels and demons. Beautiful scene. And the picture becomes a lot clearer after that. The dialog is at the top in memorable quotes sectiono this movie on imdb.

Edit: totally agree with you on D9. It's a genre redefining movie I would say.

Last edited by amitoj : 4th March 2010 at 20:24.
Old 4th March 2010, 21:45   #1832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Not really actually. I you are looking for laughs... look somewhere else. This one like other British comedies will only manage a smile on your face. Good time pass none the less, just dont have too much expectations.
I really liked it.
Some do, some dont.
Old 4th March 2010, 21:58   #1833
Senior - BHPian

Watched this quite sometime back. "Lords of DogTown". Kinda liked it a lot. Bollywood movie Rock On is more or less a copy of this.
Old 5th March 2010, 02:05   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
District 9: I got bored after first 5 minutes and switched off. I need to see it fully before I can comment further.
D9 is not a movie which should be watched when there are many people around.It should be watched when you are alone and ready to dedicate 2hrs of time.For a hard core sci-fi buff this is a movie which shows maturity,while preserving the art of it. ( It not of the bang,bang type where the hero saves a day) Its a very good concept, executed well by bloomkamp

Caught up with the following movies

@Paranormal activity : Some scenes are scary, rest of the movie is ok.However googling it revealed that it has three different climaxes; Mine was just dumb. Would have been better if i had seen a different climax altogether.

@Up In the Air : Nicely thought of kinda movie; This could really be happening?The way clooney convinces the old guy is amazing and the expressions captured by the people who got fired were excellent.

Last edited by Fraz33r : 5th March 2010 at 02:12.
Old 5th March 2010, 02:15   #1835
Senior - BHPian

the silence of the lambs-

From Imdb-Clarice Starling, a young intelligent FBI trainee, has been sent to the Batlimore state hospital for the Criminally insane to interview an inmate Dr. Hannibal-the cannibal- Lecter. A Brilliant renowned psychiatrist turned infamous Psychopathic Serial killer. She must match wits with Lecter -who has the darkest of all minds- and trust him to give her clues in the search for "Buffalo Bill". a nick name for a loose,unknown, unstoppable Pyschopathic Serial killer...

How did i missed seeing this one!!
Its a very gripping movie.
Anthony hopkins is too good.
I had seen Hannibal and i thought he was good in that but in this he is at his best.
Must watch

Rating- 4.5/5

Fracture-

from imdb- Wealthy, brilliant, and meticulous Ted Crawford, a structural engineer in Los Angeles, shoots his wife and entraps her lover. He signs a confession; at the arraignment, he asserts his rights to represent himself and asks the court to move immediately to trial. The prosecutor is Willy Beachum, a hotshot who's soon to join a fancy civil-law firm, told by everyone it's an open and shut case. Crawford sees Beachum's weakness, the hairline fracture of his character: Willy's a winner. The engineer sets in motion a clockwork crime with all the objects moving in ways he predicts.

yes i am an anthony hopkins fan but this is not why i had liked this movie.
The way every scene unfolds is really good.
And the climax is better than i expected.
Another good watch.

Rating- 4/5

Now watching - identity.
Old 5th March 2010, 02:23   #1836
BHPian

From Paris with Love : D O N T!!!

An over the top action flick with very bad acting performance by Jonathan Rhys Meyers. The story has too many loopholes to ignore even if you see it as a mindless action movie.

John travolta tries to life the movie with some OTT action scenes. But that is not worth sitting through the whole movie!!!

Last edited by artofzen : 5th March 2010 at 02:25.
Old 5th March 2010, 03:42   #1837
Senior - BHPian

Identity-

Imdb- Storyline: 10 different ppl get stuck in a motel room on a stormy night.. they start getting killed one by one and the blame keeps shifting from one alive person to another.

the suspense is maintained well, individual performances and excellent background music

the ending is highly unpredictable and many people might not be able to digest though if you think twice it makes perect sense!

Rating -4.5/5
Old 5th March 2010, 10:52   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
Another one I liked was Pitch Dark or something starring Vin Diesel.
The chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black. I like this one as well, though it has a pretty much predictable story. The follow up (The Chronicles of Riddick) sucked though.
Old 5th March 2010, 12:38   #1839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
The chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black. I like this one as well, though it has a pretty much predictable story. The follow up (The Chronicles of Riddick) sucked though.
They should have named it as Chronicles of Ridiculous guy
Old 5th March 2010, 12:55   #1840
BHPian

Watched 'Stranger than Fiction' on Sony Pix yesterday and liked the movie very much. Though I hated the stereotypic climax, the works of Will Ferrell and Emma Thompson, combined with some powerful and witty dialogues stole my heart.

I believe this is the first time, I saw such a movie.
Old 6th March 2010, 16:40   #1841
Team-BHP Support

Just finished Death at a Funeral. Found it be really nice. Couple of hilarious moments in a movie that kept me smiling throught.

Gets a 3.5 from my side !
Old 6th March 2010, 16:43   #1842
BHPian

Saw Rec and Rec2 yesterday night - and really liked the story line - not your typical blood and gore slasher horror - gets a rating of 4/5
I am hooked and waiting for rec 3 :-)
Old 6th March 2010, 23:22   #1843
Senior - BHPian

watched State of Play , Russel Crowe, Racheal Mcadams, Ben Affleck
political drama thriller

Highly recommended.
Old 7th March 2010, 00:52   #1844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
If you're a sci-fi buff, don't miss D-9...... I thought I was reading a good hugo-nebula class novel as I watched it. Those who liked blade runner would love this one too.
Exactly, I didn't liked Blade Runner too;-). These two (D-9 & Blade runner) may be well praised movies but somehow I was not able to appreciate them that much. Although I would like to watch D-9 again in Blu-ray (may be I missed something as the print I watched was not good), anyone can lend me a copy ;-) ?

Watched Mystic River and Bridges over Madison County recently. I loved both of them. First one kind of Socio-thriller movie, loved the acting of Sean Penn in that movie. BOMC is a love story told in flash-back, it;s story about a house wife and photographer who comes to photograph some old bridges. Well knit movie and touchy. Both the movies are highly recommended.
Oh by the way both of them are by Clint Eastwood, this guy seems to have amazing talent at directing movies. I just watched quite a few movies directed by him recently (Million Dollar Baby, Letters from Iwo Jima, Flags of our fathers) and I must say he is really really good.
Old 7th March 2010, 06:31   #1845
Senior - BHPian

ill keep on updating this thread regaring some of my favourite movies which i have seen.

The Shining
Jack Nicholson's Role literally gave me shivers down my spine.
the only other guy who literally scared the **** out of me is Dr Hannibal Lecter.
The plot is amazing obviously being an Stanley Kubrick movie.
As being a Kubrick movie the background score also is top notch.
"All work and No play Makes Jack a Dull boy"

There are some very disturbing moments in the movie which keep you on the edge of your seat (the bathtub scene ,flowing blood,two sisters etc no more spoilers ).
so if you want to watch a Horror genre movie ,this is it.
my Rating 4.3/5

Last edited by vinaydas : 7th March 2010 at 06:32.

Most Viewed