Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 13:38   #1876
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
Yesterday "Mirrors" & "Shutter" (hindi movie "click" is a remake of shutter) back to back (both are hollywood horror)....
I have seen Shutter. How's Mirrors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
That's fine, but where is the review ?
Old 11th March 2010, 10:54   #1877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
The Hurt Locker could not be seriously considered extolling American values.
Haven't watched the movie so can't comment. It looks like Iraq war movies are coming in after a looong gap in a similar way to the viet nam war movies and all that these wars portrayed.
Regarding Iris, I was only comparing the techno side and the non techno side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
You forgot to include two other great films by him The Abyss & Aliens
Abyss was not as good a commercial success as other Cameron flicks and Aliens, yes, slipped me, as did True Lies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
It's not Battle of Iwo Jima but Letter from Iwo Jima, I've mentioned that in post.
I was actually referring to Flags of Our Fathers (which shows the battle of Iwo Jima with the flag hoisting), not Letters from Iwo Jima. Got the names mixed there, sorry.

Last edited by Delta Wing : 11th March 2010 at 10:57.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:33   #1878
BHPian

Logorama: The animation short that won the oscar. A world created with, yep, brand logos. Very decent 16 min short. No Rating (it aint a movie)

Fight Club: Revisited this old favorite. Edward Norton is an insomniac who visits all kinds of therapy groups (cancer, TB, whatever) for kicks. Helena Bonham Carter is a junkie who also does the same. Norton comes in contact with Brad Pitt (Tyler Durden) on a trip, and fates conspire to get them both together. They end up fighting in the parking lot, and like the concept. Soon the "fight club" becomes popular with franchises all over the country and lots of followers. This one is a MAD movie- disturbing at times, always witty and fast paced with great performances all around. Norton is superb, he has a knack for portraying mentally disturbed guys very convincingly (anyone remember Primal Fear?). Go watch this. 5/5
Old 11th March 2010, 11:36   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I have seen Shutter. How's Mirrors?

Mirrors is some how better than shutter..has some spine chilling scenes..
Old 11th March 2010, 11:37   #1880
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Logorama: The animation short that won the oscar. A world created with, yep, brand logos. Very decent 16 min short. No Rating (it aint a movie)

Fight Club: Revisited this old favorite. Edward Norton is an insomniac who visits all kinds of therapy groups (cancer, TB, whatever) for kicks. Helena Bonham Carter is a junkie who also does the same. Norton comes in contact with Brad Pitt (Tyler Durden) on a trip, and fates conspire to get them both together. They end up fighting in the parking lot, and like the concept. Soon the "fight club" becomes popular with franchises all over the country and lots of followers. This one is a MAD movie- disturbing at times, always witty and fast paced with great performances all around. Norton is superb, he has a knack for portraying mentally disturbed guys very convincingly (anyone remember Primal Fear?). Go watch this. 5/5
If you liked the movie, you must read the book. Its written by my favorite author Chuck Palahniuk.
Old 11th March 2010, 11:50   #1881
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Home Alone

Could be the nth time I'm watching this movie and I absolutely adore it. I was a laughing riot yesterday and Wifey was not at all pleased. Joe Pesci is great like in all of his movies.

4/5
Old 11th March 2010, 11:58   #1882
Distinguished - BHPian

Wild Things 2.

Its same as the prequel and even the story looks so similar. However, the first part made it interesting because of Denise, Matt and my favorite Kevin Beacon.

This one has unknown stars and is just a decent time pass flick. You wont miss a great deal, if you dont watch it

2/5

P.S: Today, its " Accident on Hill Road" by Nari Hira lined up
Old 11th March 2010, 12:06   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Wild Things 2.

Its same as the prequel and even the story looks so similar. However, the first part made it interesting because of Denise, Matt and my favorite Kevin Beacon.

This one has unknown stars and is just a decent time pass flick. You wont miss a great deal, if you dont watch it

2/5

P.S: Today, its " Accident on Hill Road" by Nari Hira lined up
Accident On Hill Road is a complete waste of time. I'd strongly suggest against watching it. Bad Story, Poor Screenplay and other than Farooq Shaikh nobody else impresses on the performance part. And yes, absolutely no thrill in the movie.

My Rating: 2/5
Old 11th March 2010, 14:32   #1884
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Accident On Hill Road is a complete waste of time. I'd strongly suggest against watching it. Bad Story, Poor Screenplay and other than Farooq Shaikh nobody else impresses on the performance part. And yes, absolutely no thrill in the movie.

My Rating: 2/5
Thats sad. Been waiting for this movie for a long time as there used to be one page ads in magazines since last year. Guess all actors took their time to make this movie.

When it released in Dec'09, i was in Delhi and was not interested to pay 150++ for this movie and was waiting for DVD release.

Now that wait has come to a grinding halt
Old 11th March 2010, 15:54   #1885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post

Could be the nth time I'm watching this movie and I absolutely adore it. I was a laughing riot yesterday and Wifey was not at all pleased. Joe Pesci is great like in all of his movies.

4/5
+1 (literally), I'd give 5/5 for 'Home Alone' & 'Home Alone 2'. 2 of the loveliest comedies ever made.

Also watched 'The Whole Nine Yards' starring Bruce Willis & Matthew Perry. Loved it. Initially looks boring, but as it moves on the story becomes interesting.

I would rate it 3.5/5
Old 12th March 2010, 14:38   #1886
BHPian

"Worlds Fastest Indian" - A Wonderful movie one must watch. Just shows every human being has a rebel in heart and you should never let go of your dream!
It stars academy award winner Anthony Hopkins and was written and directed by Roger Donaldson.

The film based on the Invercargill, New Zealand speed bike racer Burt Munro and his highly modified Indian Scout motorcycle. Munro set numerous land speed records for motorcycles with engines less than 1000 cc at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah in the late 1950s and into the 1960s.

Have watched it twice and still feels fresh

Must See
Old 12th March 2010, 16:20   #1887
BHPian

The Illusionist (2006)
* Edward Norton, Paul Giamatti & Jessica Biel

What a gem! Its a story set during the turn of the century in Vienna. Norton plays the Illusionist Eisenheim, Biel his love Sophie & Giamatti Inspector Uhl. The two main protagonists Norton & Giamatti are a delight to watch as is the crisp cinematography.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-illusionist.jpg
Old 12th March 2010, 16:24   #1888
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Agree with you Anil. The movie is engrossing and is really a delight to watch. Edward Norton is too good in this movie.

Another movie in the same genre which you can also watch, if not already - Prestige.
Old 12th March 2010, 16:45   #1889
Senior - BHPian

I saw Matt Damon starring "The Informant" which based on a true story of a person who becomes a whistleblower but actually ends going to jail. The story is fast paced and gripping with lots of twists and turns and the Matt Damon has potrayed the emotions really well.

I would give it 3.5/5
Old 12th March 2010, 16:53   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Saw 'Frank Miller's Sincity' in bits & pieces as I was mainly watching American Gangster on other channel

The narrative looked very much like the Game 'Max Payne'.

How is the movie? Worth watching?

Most Viewed