Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2010, 16:43   #1951
BHPian

Indeed I second sammy, The Green Mile is very good!
@Raja - yes i was going to add the same, I watched Dhamal (why is the question!) and immediately remembered the original which I had seen about 20 years ago!!!!!!

prince pervez - yeah it is like that but then not all endings have to be happy for a movie to be good? infact some films would be terrible if they ended very happily!
for happy endings you always have your Hollywood blockbusters (and almost all Bollywood movies)

Last edited by Abhay : 19th March 2010 at 16:44.
Old 19th March 2010, 19:28   #1952
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I watched it on DVD. Hope that was un-cut version and not similar to what they showed on HBO.
Yes, the DVD version is uncut.

I first watched it on HBO and was disappointed with the frequent cuts in most of the scenes. With HBO, I felt we are missing the USP of the film - Javier's spine chilling stares and all the gore around. We are Tarantino's fans, aren't we?
Old 19th March 2010, 20:14   #1953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
I don't know if it is true, but I would like to believe that there is a subtle difference between an "American" english movie and a "British" english movie

Saw Michael Caine's "SLEUTH" - superb movie! Only two actors, gripping plot and wonderful portrayal by both the protagonsits..
Spot on mate!! Me and wifey were browsing channels one weekend when this movie was being aired on Star Movies. We watched it from the beginning and there never was a dull moment in this movie. I forgot the name and was not able to search for a DVD. Thanks for the name!!

Brilliant Movie.
Old 19th March 2010, 22:07   #1954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
If possible, try to watch the uncut version. Its much more chilling. HBO version is stripped down.
Yes, truly awesome movie. Awesome villain!
Old 20th March 2010, 10:55   #1955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Thanks for the name!!
It was my pleasure, Sir!

Two more movies, which move me to tears.... (a) Von Ryan's Express (b) Operation Daybreak.

I found that I enjoy war movies where the actual fighting moments are just a background to the story... remember Stallone's "Escape to Victory" - a brilliant war + sport (football) movie.
Old 20th March 2010, 12:28   #1956
Senior - BHPian

Watched The Book Of Eli today

I went to watch the movie because it had Denzel Washington & tust me thats the only reason one would/should watch this movie for.

The background/sets/costumes are all too similar to T4 & other similar movies. The action scenes are well shot, the heroine is average. There is gore which some may like & some wont. The direction is crisp & so is cinematography.

Off late lot of Hollywood movies seem to take some inspiration from Hindi movies & this one too has some

There is big twist in the end which some may like & some wont, I liked the twist to some extent but not entirely.

Rating 2.5/5
Old 20th March 2010, 14:58   #1957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
There is gore which some may like & some wont. The direction is crisp & so is cinematography.

There is big twist in the end which some may like & some wont, I liked the twist to some extent but not entirely.

Rating 2.5/5

Lol Techno, this has to be one of the most politically correct reviews I have read in a long time.

Last edited by sammyboy : 20th March 2010 at 15:00.
Old 21st March 2010, 13:48   #1958
J.Ravi

Last night at 9 pm, I watched Changeling on HBO. A heart-touching movie, based on real life events happened in California during 1928 - 35, produced, directed and music-scored by Clint Eastwood with splended performance by the protogonist Angelina Jolie. Though nominated for three categories of Academy Award, Changeling could not win any.

A few months back, I watched Gran Torino, another excellent creation by Clint Eastwood. In this, he did a role as a war veteran, in addition to direction and production.

Old 21st March 2010, 21:10   #1959
BHPian

Where The Wild Things Are.

It is a movie of a small kid who takes his house on head (reminded me of the movie Taare Zameen Par) and runs off to land on a island with wild creatures(fraggle rock kind), and becomes a king of thier tribe. It depicts various emotions, in those creatures and how we handle it when their is responsibility on our shoulders.

However when the movie finished, i was left scratching did i like the movie? Infact i still dont know.! But it is worth a watch.

Rating : 3/5
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:37   #1960
Senior - BHPian

@Sammyboy - Hehe well i was not trying to be politically correct, its just that I too was confused after the watching the movie, from one point of view some scenes made sense while from other they didnt.

So to be Honest if it wasnt for DW one can say safely ignore this movie.
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:50   #1961
Senior - BHPian

The Hurt Locker
I had missed the special screening of this movie due to F1 and watched it on DVD.
This is one of the best movies I have watched recently! No wonder it won 6 Oscars!
Absolutely brilliant dialogues and acting by Jeremy Renner.

Quote:
There's enough bang in there to blow us all to Jesus. If I'm gonna die, I want to die comfortable.
Rating: 5/5

Couple's Retreat

Absolute cr*p. I was shocked to see in the titles that AR Rahman had composed music for this movie!

Rating:
1/5
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:09   #1962
BHPian

Watched 'The Hurt Locker' yesterday. Wish there was some way i could recover the 2 hours i wasted on this one.

Absolute rot! Make no mistake, i LOVE intelligent movies. In fact i avoid those that aren't.

The film doesn't say anything new.
Horrors of war? Try Oliver Stone.
Male bonding in the trenches? - there are way too many out there. Thin Red Line maybe?

I simply couldn't see how the film was worth 6 oscars!!!

The story is essentially about an inrresponsible husband and father, who defuses bombs in a manner that makes Rajinikant blush while splicing a bullet into two with a knife. Its about a fellow who gets his kicks by being reckless with his comrades. In my book, such a loony guy is more dangerous than the enemy.

And what an absolute waste of such fab actors like Guy Pearce and Ralph Fiennes. How could the director throw away those gems?!! :O

This proves Oscars can be bought.

Last edited by WindRide : 22nd March 2010 at 14:10.
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:09   #1963
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " Jacob's Ladder" starring Tim Robbins.

Its a mix of thriller and supernatural. Entire movie is dark, errie and sordid.

I didnt like it so much

2.5/5

Next in line is " Godfather 2". I just couldnt resist seeing it again
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:25   #1964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Watched " Jacob's Ladder" starring Tim Robbins.

Its a mix of thriller and supernatural. Entire movie is dark, errie and sordid.
Precisely the reasons i loved this movie And Tim Robbin's acting. I also liked how the ending made sense of it all.

Anyway, saw Session 9 over the weekend, starring David Caruso (from CSI Miami) and Peter Mullan. Its the story of an asbestos cleaning crew who are working in an abandoned mental hospital. Soon as they start working there, things start going bad. Don't worry. They don't start dying one by one. That would be too corny. But the tensions between the crew members start increasing rather quickly. And one of the crew members comes across recording sessions of one of the patients, and starts playing them. That adds to the spookiness.
Nice horror/thriller sort of movie.
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:26   #1965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
The Hurt Locker
I had missed the special screening of this movie due to F1 and watched it on DVD.
This is one of the best movies I have watched recently! No wonder it won 6 Oscars!
Absolutely brilliant dialogues and acting by Jeremy Renner.

Rating: 5/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Watched 'The Hurt Locker' yesterday. Wish there was some way i could recover the 2 hours i wasted on this one.

Absolute rot! Make no mistake, i LOVE intelligent movies. In fact i avoid those that aren't.

The film doesn't say anything new.
Horrors of war? Try Oliver Stone.
Male bonding in the trenches? - there are way too many out there. Thin Red Line maybe?

I simply couldn't see how the film was worth 6 oscars!!!

The story is essentially about an inrresponsible husband and father, who defuses bombs in a manner that makes Rajinikant blush while splicing a bullet into two with a knife. Its about a fellow who gets his kicks by being reckless with his comrades. In my book, such a loony guy is more dangerous than the enemy.

And what an absolute waste of such fab actors like Guy Pearce and Ralph Fiennes. How could the director throw away those gems?!! :O

This proves Oscars can be bought.
Hmm...quite a contradiction

@WindRide: You just stepped on my desire of watching this movie and crushed it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks