Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 18:11   #2086
BHPian

Watched
1. Hachiko _ A dogs Story - Lovely movie. And the fact that its based on a true story makes it even better.

2.IL Divo (Italian) - About the life of Italian PM Andreotti. A bit slow, watch it if you are a movie buff. 3/5

3.Jerusalema ( South African) - A very well made movie about a gangster in SA. Film takes us through his rise from a car jacker to a rich well known hoodlum. 4/5

Lust,Caution (Chinese) - Directed by Ang Lee of Brokeback Mountain fame. Couple of very explicit bonding scenes . Movie is about chinese underground spying against Japanese oppression.4/5

Planning to watch this years oscar winner for international category . Will update tomorrow.

Although the thread is about English movies, some of the international movies are too good to miss. And you get ENG subtitles for all these movies.
Old 19th April 2010, 19:22   #2087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
(The epicenter of Voodoo) watch " The Serpent and the Rainbow". Brilliant horror/thriller/adventure movie starring Bill Pullman.

Pan's Labyrinth already. But try watching "Cronos"
Indeed Pan's labyrith was excellent. Somehow he has an edge for fantasy story telling and and I feel that he is/should be the most admired director/prod in this genre.

'The Serpent and the Rainbow' and Cronos next on my list!
Old 20th April 2010, 06:31   #2088
BHPian

Just watched El secreto de sus ojos" (Argentine) - The Secret in Their Eyes. One of the best movies of 2010 and a worthy Oscar winner.Powerful ending.1970 setting.Flashback.Murder.Rape.Suspense. 4.8/5

During this years Oscars, I wanted Un Prophete to win the foriegn category. Now I stand corrected!.
Old 20th April 2010, 14:10   #2089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
Indeed Pan's labyrith was excellent. Somehow he has an edge for fantasy story telling and and I feel that he is/should be the most admired director/prod in this genre.

'The Serpent and the Rainbow' and Cronos next on my list!
Cool! Let me know how you liked them.

Before you watch Serpent and the Rainbow, let me share with you, how I got to know about this movie. While travelling abroad, I got acquainted with a guy who was from Haiti. I would meet him on and off in the neighborhood where I was staying. During our casual chats I would ask him about his country and whether people really practised voodoo. This dude would tell me tales that were hard to believe. He would talk about sorcerors, murder by black magic, blood sacrifices and stuff that would shock you. He would always tell me to watch this movie called "the Serpent and The Rainbow" since it depicts realistically what goes on in Haiti. I always thought that he was probably spinning yarns since I am a huge horror buff and he was just telling me things that I wanted to hear.

One fine day I meet him at the local grocery store and this guy greets me excitedly, we exchange pleasantries and he tells me to walk outside since he wants to show me something. So I walked outside to the parking lot and he pulls out a photograph from his car. When I saw the photo, I exclaimed ***!!

The photo was a portrait of a person, not a live person though it was the photo of a dead guy. He was in a severe state of decomposition, there was hardly any flesh on the face, the eyes were gone with only empty sockets and there was still some hair on the scalp. The mouth was gaping wide open. The corpse was dressed in a black suit and was lying in a coffin as I could make out the lining of the inside of the coffin. I was excited and aghast at the same time.

Me: What the hell is this?
Haitian: That's my father
Me: Are you ******* serious? What happened to him?
Haitian: Nothing, he died a few months ago. I went back to Haiti and had to dig him out to retrieve something from his pocket.
Me: Why the heck would you do something like that?
Haitian: He was buried with something and I being the eldest son would have to dig him out and retrieve that thing because it will benefit me.
Me: And what is it that you retrieved?
Haitian: Sorry my friend, I'm forbidden to tell anyone about it.
Me: Is this some kind of voodoo rite?
Haitian: Yes.

I asked him a million questions about it and had several looks at the photo. I couldn't believe that I was actually looking at a photo of a corpse that was used in voodoo rites and the man who did it was standing in front of me. I never met him after that. Many days later I recalled the name of the movie that he recommended and bought it. That movie like I mentioned is "the Serpent and the Rainbow". Now I don't believe what the movie portrays could be true. However I do know that I stood face to face with this skinny bald Haitian man and shook his hand on several occasions. The same hand with which he had unearthed the corpse of his father from the graveyard in the middle of the night. There are a many more details to this than what he was allowed to share with me. I'm grateful and consider myself privileged to see and know details of something so private and forbidden. Was my friend a sorceror or a vooodoo priest? Or did he just participate in some rite that is common tradition in his country?

It's been more than seven years now, but I still think about the incident and wonder what he would have retrieved from the corpse. Even today I remember the face of the corpse from the photo quite vividly.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 20th April 2010 at 14:23.
Old 20th April 2010, 22:05   #2090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Cool! Let me know how you liked them.

It's been more than seven years now, but I still think about the incident and wonder what he would have retrieved from the corpse.

That is indeed freaking scary, If i was you,I would have ran far off away from him after that incident. This reminded me of the the movie Drag me to Hell (Sam Raimi)! where the old lady removes the coat button from the actress and uses it for voodoo (black magic) to invoke the monster. And after that she goes to the grave to pull something related to her so that it could be stopped.

Here it might have been used for Luck/blessing from the father.

Will surely let you know the review of the others.
Old 21st April 2010, 13:33   #2091
BHPian

I watched CrazyHeart, it was an OK movie, its about a Country Musician, who is an alcoholic, in the last leg of his life, learns after a mistake, gets sober and tries to live the rest of his life making up for what's lost. I liked all the songs in this movie. But its a very slow movie.
Old 22nd April 2010, 19:32   #2092
BHPian

Cop Out

Watched Cop out, a movie starring bruce willis, its like a tribute to all the older buddy-cop movies, but since i had went with friends i was able to bear it, else its almost the same old jokes, Tracy morgan, i think that's that guy's name, was funny.
Old 22nd April 2010, 19:37   #2093
Senior - BHPian

Got to see Nutty Prof in Hindi. When Buddy Love parallel parks his sports car and tells the valet parking guy "If you scratch this, there will be a scratch on your ***"
In Hindi "Ise kuch hua na toh teri jeb se bharne padhenge"
I don't know what to say. It ruined the scene.
Old 22nd April 2010, 22:04   #2094
Senior - BHPian

Do watch City of God. Pretty awesome movie about the slums of rio in brazil. Pretty scary if you watch it u will understand what i mean
Old 22nd April 2010, 22:33   #2095
BHPian

Watched "How to train your dragon". One word. Brilliant. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Would have been a miss if I hadnt seen it on 3D.
Old 23rd April 2010, 02:58   #2096
Senior - BHPian

Watched

Deep Cover
: Lawrence Fishbourne

Its about a cop who is sent as an undercover agent to expose mafias involved in drugs dealing.

Very good movie. Must watch. 4/5

Escape from Alcatraz
: Clint Eastwood

Enough said. Must watch. 4.5/5

Cop Out: Bruce Willis.

nothing extra ordinary. Just run of the mills kind that Hollywood dishes out regularly. bearable because of Willis. Its mildly amusing but kinda ok ok movie. 3.5/5

Next list of movies to be watched: Back up plan, Leap Year, Pirate Radio, Dear John, Glass house
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:18   #2097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Do watch City of God. Pretty awesome movie about the slums of rio in brazil. Pretty scary if you watch it u will understand what i mean
This movie is probably the best movie made sub 2000's.
The Camera work on this is mind blowing.
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:26   #2098
BHPian

I watched The imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. it was a fantasy ride about a travelling theatre group, who show more than a show, a world of the audience's own imagination. since heath ledger was unable to finish the movie, Jude law, Johnny depp and Colin farrell had helped the completion of the movie, and paid their salaries to Heath's daughter. Very moving.
Old 24th April 2010, 08:33   #2099
Senior - BHPian

Watched

Leap Year: Amy Adams.

Loved this movie. Its a feel good romantic movie. Amy Adams looks cute. The locales of Ireland is stunning. Movie is a little predictable. but works.

4/5

The Back Up Plan: J Lo, Alex

a light-hearted romantic comedy. movie is funny, a bit touching, and a family tale about trusting the partner you love and accepting the things he or she does. A feel good movie again.

After the movie i realized its a Chic flick. The females would love this movie as it shows that there are good men in the world whom they can trust.

3.5/5

Chloe: Amanda Seyfried, Julianne Moore, Liam Nesson

Its a thrilling, erotic adventure i saw after a long long time. Initially i thought it may be a cheesy movie, but i was wrong. its interesting as it is not predictable. Movie revolves around 3 characters. And all three characters are fantastic actors with very good. Amanda as Chloe takes the cake. She looks beautiful, acts her part very well.

There are plenty of twists and turns with each character following different objectives. Who is villain? who is good/bad? you won't be able to guess till the end. its an above average thriller made even better by performance.

enough of ranting. in a nut shell. A must watch. Not advised to watch with whole family.

5/5
Old 24th April 2010, 12:02   #2100
BHPian

I saw Clash of the Titans in 3D yesterday. Not really worth the hype. After seeing Avatar and How to train your dragon in 3D, expected quite a bit out of this one. But that was a mistake I guess. Sam Worthington isn't as good in this one as he was in Avatar.

Would rate it 3/5. Just for the special effects.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks