Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 10:51   #2131
BHPian

Watched Anitchrist yesterday.

The movie is about a couple who loose their child due to their negligence and how they deal with it to come over the tragedy.
The wife, in particular, is devastated with the loss and her husband (a psychologist) helps her overcome/deal with the guilt.

Movie direction is very artistic and is full of symbolism.

Starts of very slowly and became very gripping towards the second half. Solid performance all around (Well, there are only 2 characters in the movie).

I would admit, some parts of the movie (symbolism) did go over my head. I would have to read a detailed review and watch the movie again to appreciate the beauty.

I would rate it 4/5.

1 star deducted for the slow start.

PS. Movie has its fair share of nudity, blood and gore, not advisable to watch with family.

Last edited by SumitBahl : 4th May 2010 at 10:52.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:03   #2132
Senior - BHPian

Rating of the movies that I watched recently

1. She is out of my league:
good fun movie to watch for the weekend evening. Its a light hearted one with the kind of Notting hill touch.
Rating 4/5
2. KICK-A.S.S
Good movie to watch, though one might not see that much of a story in it.
Rating 3.5/5
3. Shutter Island:
Though the story is a bit predictable the way the movie is taken is very strong.
Leonardo deserve applause for performing well.
Rating 4/5
Old 4th May 2010, 11:35   #2133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
any review of how to train your dragon 3d
3D is quite wasted in this one. Decent, feel-good kinda movie though. It is amazing, however, that whenever in one of these flicks there is a need to make a creature/ animal look cute, the creators model the mannerisms after a dog. Check out Night Fury
Old 4th May 2010, 17:38   #2134
Senior - BHPian

Watch the French movie 'Jeux d'enfants', also known as 'Love me if you dare'. Its a very nice movie and a must watch.

IMDB link: Jeux d'enfants (2003).
Old 4th May 2010, 20:09   #2135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Watched Anitchrist yesterday.

The movie is about a couple who loose their child due to their negligence and how they deal with it to come over the tragedy.
The wife, in particular, is devastated with the loss and her husband (a psychologist) helps her overcome/deal with the guilt.

Movie direction is very artistic and is full of symbolism.

Starts of very slowly and became very gripping towards the second half. Solid performance all around (Well, there are only 2 characters in the movie).

I would admit, some parts of the movie (symbolism) did go over my head. I would have to read a detailed review and watch the movie again to appreciate the beauty.

I would rate it 4/5.

1 star deducted for the slow start.

PS. Movie has its fair share of nudity, blood and gore, not advisable to watch with family.
I've been wanting to watch this movie. Everyone who's seen it seems to be raving about it. Is it a good shocker?
Old 5th May 2010, 14:53   #2136
BHPian

Watched these movies recently :

A Christmas Carol : Ebenezer Scrooge (Jim Carrey) hates to spare even a penny for Christmas and finds himself being visited by ghosts on Christmas eve.
My rating : 3.5/5

Office Space : It is a story of company workers who hate their jobs and the employees being exploited by their boss. Peter Gibbons played by Ron Livingston visits a hypnotherapist and the story turns from there. Highly recommended if you want a good laugh.
My rating : 4/5

The Royal Tenenbaums : Three grown prodigies, all with a unique genius of some kind, and their mother are staying at the family household. Their father, Royal (Gene Hackman) had left them long ago, and comes back to make things right with his family
My rating : 3.5/5
Old 6th May 2010, 10:13   #2137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I've been wanting to watch this movie. Everyone who's seen it seems to be raving about it. Is it a good shocker?
Very artistically shot movie.
A must watch!!!

Though, I must warn you, some scenes can be quite disturbing.
Old 6th May 2010, 14:07   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Very artistically shot movie.
A must watch!!!

Though, I must warn you, some scenes can be quite disturbing.
No problem mate, I love extreme cinema and have seen it all. In fact last night I tried to watch "A Haunting in Connecticut". It's the same old formula horror movie with same crappy dream sequences and haunted house story. Boring! Couldn't stand it for more than 30 minutes.

I like innovative cinema and Antichrist looks promising.
Old 6th May 2010, 15:13   #2139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
No problem mate, I love extreme cinema and have seen it all. In fact last night I tried to watch "A Haunting in Connecticut". It's the same old formula horror movie with same crappy dream sequences and haunted house story. Boring! Couldn't stand it for more than 30 minutes.

I like innovative cinema and Antichrist looks promising.
I found 'A haunting in connecicut' quite good mainly because the movie was based on a true story. Now the talks on Antichrist is making we want to see it soon. Hopefully i will catch it this weekend.
Old 6th May 2010, 20:23   #2140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
Watched
1. Hachiko _ A dogs Story - Lovely movie. And the fact that its based on a true story makes it even better.

2.IL Divo (Italian) - About the life of Italian PM Andreotti. A bit slow, watch it if you are a movie buff. 3/5

3.Jerusalema ( South African) - A very well made movie about a gangster in SA. Film takes us through his rise from a car jacker to a rich well known hoodlum. 4/5

Lust,Caution (Chinese) - Directed by Ang Lee of Brokeback Mountain fame. Couple of very explicit bonding scenes . Movie is about chinese underground spying against Japanese oppression.4/5

Planning to watch this years oscar winner for international category . Will update tomorrow.

Although the thread is about English movies, some of the international movies are too good to miss. And you get ENG subtitles for all these movies.
Good point; when i came across this thread I was actually wondering if we could start a World Cinema/Foreign Language thread. But I do not know if there would enuf interest for the same.

Talking of Ang Lee, have you seen Eat Drink Man Woman?

I have missed Jerusalema. Will check it out. If you liked Il Divo, another recent italian movie should be Gomorra.
Old 6th May 2010, 20:26   #2141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Do watch City of God. Pretty awesome movie about the slums of rio in brazil. Pretty scary if you watch it u will understand what i mean
That is a fantastic movie for sure. For a different Brazilian movie, try catching Behind the Sun by Walter Salles of Motorcycle Diaries and Dark Waters fame.
Old 7th May 2010, 08:24   #2142
Senior - BHPian

Gran Torino is one of my Favorite movies of all time.
Clint Eastwood shows us , at 80 he still is the bad *** he is when he was 20.
The climax is the best part and can bring you to tears.
And the movie was never about the car but rather the car was a part of the movie.

4/5 for Gran Torino From my side.
Old 7th May 2010, 09:06   #2143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Gran Torino is one of my Favorite movies of all time.
Clint Eastwood shows us , at 80 he still is the bad *** he is when he was 20.
The climax is the best part and can bring you to tears.
And the movie was never about the car but rather the car was a part of the movie.

4/5 for Gran Torino From my side.
Hey, thats a surprise.. Just saw that last night for the first time. I completely agree with you there. Clint gets better with age.
Old 7th May 2010, 13:17   #2144
Distinguished - BHPian

"The Midnight Meat Train" is to be aired tonight on Star Movies. Any reviews on this horror fare?
Old 7th May 2010, 13:26   #2145
Senior - BHPian

I saw Avatar a couple of days back. Now I know how they managed to spend millions of $$$. I would rate it at 4/5 (due to the graphics, effects and overall quality of production).

I also saw, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2008)) and would recommend watching the movie. Rating 3.5/5

Most Viewed