Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 11:58   #2206
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

2. Mullholland Drive: 1.5 hours into the movie and i am thinking to myself, "so far the movie is making sense. I dont know what all the hoopla is about" And then starts last half an hour where everything you thought you knew about the storyline gets trashed and you are left dazed and wondering, "what the...."
If you ask me, this is a brilliant movie. I have tried an attempt on explaining it a few pages back but am not sure what really Lynch's version is. I've been told he also kept his actors under mystery on the theme.

Yes, repeated attempts in watching things like these might make things clear :-)

Last edited by JVH : 20th May 2010 at 11:59.
Old 20th May 2010, 20:18   #2207
BHPian

State of Play (2009) - Drama, Thriller

Cant believe I missed this somehow earlier. Really engaging thriller/drama. Might be slow paced for some, hence the low profile I guess. Great parallels to the military outsourcing by the US, Blackwater Security?

Starring: Russell Crowe, Ben Affleck, Jason Bateman, Jeff Daniels, Helen Mirren, Rachel McAdams, Robin Wright

reviews:
State of Play :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews
State of Play Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

Tropic Thunder (2008) - Satirical Comedy

Ben Stiller is actually good at direction?? Not everybody's fav, but i loved it. Robert Downey Jr. in an interesting turn and absolutely loved Tom Cruise's role especially his moves at the end towards the credits. Hilarious..
Did you recognise Tom Cruise before you saw the credits?
Did you get the promos at the beginning?
I guess this is one of the periodic surprises that you either get or you dont. Probably get it if you loved "The Big Lebowski" (a classic in my opnion).

starring: Ben Stiller, Robert Downey Jr., Jack Black, Matthew McConaughey, Nick Nolte, Tom Cruise

reviews:
Tropic Thunder :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews
Tropic Thunder Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes
Old 20th May 2010, 20:30   #2208
BHPian

Since I brought this one up in my earlier post, I had to do justice to it.

The Big Lebowski (1998) - Comedy or an Attitude?

Roger Ebert could not have said it better for me with the opening lines in his review. To paraphrase," The Big Lebowski is about an attitude, not a story. It's easy to miss that, because the story is so urgently pursued."
I discovered the Coen brothers with TBL. And went through their entire oeuvre.
Jeff Bridges would have been my candidate for an Oscar in my own world I agree...
Each character is a wickedly sketched cameo classic (Goodman, Turturro, Buscemi etc.). Again, you get it or you dont kind of a movie. Its like you smoke leaves or you dont. However, Tropic Thunder is similar to TBL only at this, its no way close, no comparison to TBL.

Starring: Jeff Bridges (Hooo yaaah), John Goodman, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi, John Turturro, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Tara Reid

Reviews:
The Big Lebowski :: rogerebert.com :: Great Movies
The Big Lebowski Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes
Old 20th May 2010, 20:35   #2209
BHPian

Saw 'Rat Race' in Sony Pix couple of days back. It was super hilarious and i absolutely loved it.
Old 21st May 2010, 14:10   #2210
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw "Darkness Falls" Starring some unknown stars

Its a story of a tooth fairy who was killed mistakenly and she comes back to town to haunt small kids who lose their last tooth. Its not hardcore horror nor a tuat thriller. It falls somewhere in between.

Its a decent movie with a few nice twists and turns. However, some part of it looked unnatural and didnt gell with entire plot.

Actors are cold and their contribution to movie is zilch.

Timepass fare if you have nothing to do.

P.S: Taking a coupla days break and give a chance for women folk at home catch up on some hindi movies. Next in line for them is Paa/Well Done Abba
Old 21st May 2010, 16:54   #2211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Saw 'Rat Race' in Sony Pix couple of days back. It was super hilarious and i absolutely loved it.
True. Hope you have seen the Hindi Copy "DHAMAAL" as well
Old 22nd May 2010, 01:45   #2212
Senior - BHPian

Watched The Pacific, Part 1 and 2. It's like where Band of Brothers have left, the Pacific has started. Tells the story of the Pacific theater through the eyes of few US marines. Part 1 and 2 are about the war at Guadalcanal. Don't miss it when it starts on HBO on May 30. This is going to be on my collection once the Blu-ray is out.
Old 22nd May 2010, 20:50   #2213
Senior - BHPian

Undisputed
Tagline: Two enemies...The Mob....The Ultimate Showdown.

A great guy's movie set in Sweetwater Prison. Its about the undisputed heavyweight championship between Iceman and Monroe played by Ving Rhames and Wesley Snipes respectively.

Iceman is the showy character while Monroe underplays the role. Monroe is undisputed heavyweight champion of Sweetwater for 10 years while Iceman lands up at that place for rape. What ensues is a gripping battle of supremacy.

Both have their own code of honor and for them its all about standing the ground, whoever wins, wins.

From my point of view, Undisputed is a homage to boxing and its history. One of the best final showdown i have seen in boxing. It is awesome.

A no nonsense movie, see if you like this sport and need some thrill with those punches.

4.5/5

Next up: Undisputed II: Last Man Standing and then Undisputed III: Redemption. I am already excited after the 1st part.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:10   #2214
Senior - BHPian

Undisputed II: Last Man Standing

The part 2 gets even more entertaining then the first one. Storyline is easy to comprehend and is not boring.

Fights are superb, better than 1st part. Very well shot, makes you keep glued to the action all the time. This time its not about pure boxing like first part, its more of freestyle including kicks, bend knees and what not. This is no nonsense fight at its best.

Cinematography is excellent, characters are very well developed. Actors Michael Jai White and Scott Adkins Kicks some serious A.s.s.

Really enjoyed it. A must watch

4.5/5
Old 24th May 2010, 12:16   #2215
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
State of Play (2009) - Drama, Thriller
Decent movie.

Quote:
Tropic Thunder (2008) - Satirical Comedy

Ben Stiller is actually good at direction?? Not everybody's fav, but i loved it. Robert Downey Jr. in an interesting turn and absolutely loved Tom Cruise's role especially his moves at the end towards the credits.
Really didn't like the movie. Watch it only for Tom Cruise's short role & Robert Downey Jr.s excellent acting. Very little else in the movie.
Old 24th May 2010, 12:53   #2216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I brought this one up in my earlier post, I had to do justice to it.

The Big Lebowski (1998) - Comedy or an Attitude?
Attend a Lebowski themed party. I heard its an absolute blast.
If you are somewhere near Kentucky, then you can attend a Lebowski fest too!
Lebowski Fest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 24th May 2010, 16:51   #2217
Senior - BHPian

Saw Wild Hogs last evening, and was very disappointed. I expected a lot from this "All-Star" comedy, but it was a complete let down. It's a pretty dumb story, and the gags are very amateur and childish. I had lost interest as early as 20 minutes into the movie, but persisted till the end since a friend of mine thought that maybe things might improve as the film progresses. Unfortunately, it just went from bad to worse. Terrible waste of time.
Old 24th May 2010, 16:54   #2218
BHPian

The Big Lebowski has to be one of the best by Coen Brothers.

Dr Stranglelove by Kubrick is another film I just love for the dark humor.

President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.
Old 24th May 2010, 18:49   #2219
Senior - BHPian

Unthinkable

Cast: Samuel Jackson, Carie Ann Moss, Micheal Sheen, Brandon Routh

An awesome psychological thriller i have seen after a long long time. Its disturbing, its grueling, and requires strong heart to see the torture scenes.

I won't reveal the plot, not even synopsis but this is a must watch Thriller.

Awesome acting by Jackson and Sheen. Hats off to both of them. Carie Ann Moss doesn't lag behind too. One on one with Jackson is superb.

Just treat this as a fiction and you will have no problem, treat it as a real world scenario and you will get goose bumps. its real scary with present scenario.

Please do watch

4.5/5

P.S: Now a days, i am watching movies starting with 'UN' only, what with Undisputed Trilogy and this unthinkable. Its not intentional. Just the way movies are coming up on my list.

Last edited by chevelle : 24th May 2010 at 18:51.
Old 24th May 2010, 19:44   #2220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Attend a Lebowski themed party. I heard its an absolute blast.
If you are somewhere near Kentucky, then you can attend a Lebowski fest too!
Lebowski Fest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Big lebowski or His Dudeness is one of my absolute favorites !! a masterpiece from the Cohen Brothers Jeff bridges deserved an oscar for his role as the dude in 1998 itself, too bad he had to wait till 2010 for crazy hearts.
People watch Fargo also its brilliant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks