Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2010, 10:32   #2971
Senior - BHPian

Watched 'Cast Away' yesterday night (again) and was blown away by it (again). Top marks to Tom Hanks' acting. He is one of the most versatile actors around. This is one of my favourite movies of all time.
Old 28th October 2010, 10:36   #2972
Senior - BHPian

I just saw 'nightmare on elm street' ...the new one..pathetic it was..
Old 28th October 2010, 11:36   #2973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
which version did you land up with in theater's ? not trying to reveal the suspense, but i know that it had 3 different climaxes, the one i saw wasn't that great on DVD. (the other two were scary it seems)

PN2 seems to be drawing crowds, and i am going in this weekend.
I actually preferred the DVD ending. It was slow and creepy instead of scary. The theatre ending ( which was suggested by Steven Spielberg ) was a cheap scare and didn't really gel with the rest of the movie ( and was actually revealed in the trailer itself ) .
Old 28th October 2010, 11:37   #2974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
which version did you land up with in theater's ?

PN2 seems to be drawing crowds, and i am going in this weekend.
let us know how it is.

The one i saw did not involve any policemen and neither did it involve any slashing.
Old 28th October 2010, 12:54   #2975
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I still can't make up my mind who was at the end. The Jackal or The Naval officer. I guess it will remain a mystery for me, unless you can clear it up for me.
There is no two ways about it, the poor Naval sod is dead.

It has to be real Carlos Ramirez. Because he is still alive and somewhere in a prison in Paris and yet to be tried

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
I just saw 'nightmare on elm street' ...the new one..pathetic it was..
Didnt see the new one. The original version was mindblowing. Loved Freddy Kruger who is one of the most charismatic horror figure in history
Old 28th October 2010, 15:26   #2976
Distinguished - BHPian

Next in line is "Valykrie" starring Tom Cruise. Any reviews of this movie?
Old 28th October 2010, 15:27   #2977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
There is no two ways about it, the poor Naval sod is dead.

It has to be real Carlos Ramirez. Because he is still alive and somewhere in a prison in Paris and yet to be tried
Wow!! I didn't knew he was still alive and waiting for trial. Its indeed shocking.

OTOH. Watched Social Network

Stunning film. A great story about FB going live, friendship, money, greed, betraying friends. The script is the whole and sole of the movie. Direction is superb so is dialogs and cinematography.

Jesse Eisenberg is the man of hour. He is the perfect guy for role of Mark. Superb portrayal of a calculative and cunning genius. Ably supported by rest of the starcast.

Watch it. A guaranteed entertainer. For me its one of the best movies of year.

5/5
Old 28th October 2010, 15:30   #2978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I saw it many months back. Its a good movie. I am sure you will like it. And sorry to nitpick but its Valkyrie.
Old 28th October 2010, 15:32   #2979
BHPian

Quote:
I liked this movie. I think the movie would have done well if not for Tom Cruise, not because he was bad in the movie, but because everyone hates him these days . I had watched an NGC documentary on the same topic earlier, so the story was old for me. I found the movie to be mostly faithful to the true events with some enhancements which is to be expected.
Old 28th October 2010, 23:33   #2980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Stunning film. A great story about FB going live, friendship, money, greed, betraying friends. The script is the whole and sole of the movie. Direction is superb so is dialogs and cinematography.
5/5
Somehow made me feel that zuckerberg has been shown in a bad light; which seems to be untrue. ofcourse the director has taken his own liberties in doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I had watched an NGC documentary on the same topic earlier, so the story was old for me. I found the movie to be mostly faithful to the true events with some enhancements which is to be expected.
It seems there have been n number of murder attempts on hitler and this one is the closest they got. If it was successful, it would have been history now.
The film however is very slow and pics up pace only in the climax (you can basically go eat popcorn, take a round and comeback), hence for me it is a one time watch on DVD.

V for Vendetta : I have seen this movie now upteen times and i am seriously in awe watching this movie and it never ceases to surprise me. The scenes wherein Hugo weaving makes her realize that she has no fear is absolutely brilliant piece of filmography ( story telling, direction) dialogues are on spot and even though you don't see a single expression on the mask, it tries to convey a deeper meaning always. Love it to the core.No wonder it is one of the highest rated movie on imdb.

Rating 5/5
Old 28th October 2010, 23:51   #2981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its very beautifully made movies. You will not regret watching it.
Old 29th October 2010, 08:13   #2982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Somehow made me feel that zuckerberg has been shown in a bad light; which seems to be untrue. ofcourse the director has taken his own liberties in doing so.
The last sentence by the lady(Erica) while leaving the office says it all.

'Mark - You are not an *******, but just trying so hard to be'

And he may have done a couple of things which were not right, but who hasn't? We will never know the real Zuckerberg and what really went behind billion dollar facebook, but this is the closest that it can come too in films. Just take some things with pinch of salt.
Old 29th October 2010, 14:16   #2983
Senior - BHPian

The American (2010)

A warning before anything else. If you are expecting a movie like Shooter, Bourne series or James Bond style thriller, please don't watch it. This isn't any fast pace action thriller, its more about what goes through a mind of assassin and the internals of last assignment. Finally, YES its slow, very slow.

If you see the trailers and then watch the movie i am sure you will be disappointed as i was initially. I was expecting just like above but soon i realized that its not about action, its about how Clooney grasp his life, how he makes weapons and when time comes, could be an assassin.

GC is awesome. His expressions, his grace, his poise everything is spot on. It really makes us wonder what a mind like his must be going through.

The location is breathtakingly beautiful. Italy at its best.

Clara the lead actress is very beautiful. Just loved her. Much better than many of Hollywood actresses.

Enough of ranting. Watch it, its different, its cool.

4/5

Last edited by chevelle : 29th October 2010 at 14:17.
Old 30th October 2010, 00:09   #2984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Attachment 443658

Seriously, Jack Nicholson is made for such movies, he has that charisma to add the mischievousness in roles like these.

This is a story about a new guy in mental hospital who tries to change the rules & also tries to bring about a coup of sorts.

I was told that the Salman Khan starer Kyun Ki is a copy of this movie but frankly only the base theme is same, the characterizations & storyline is quite different. Infact if I have to compare then I would say that I liked Kyun Ki more as I could see the justification of why Salman's character was brought to a mental hospital while in this movie Jack's character looks like just another brash guy who is always on the look out to break rules, there are no signs of any mental illness.

The reviews mentioned that the head Nurse is almost like dictator while except for the last scene nothing else shows this.

Having said that its still a must watch movie with some brilliant performances

3.5/5
One of the Greatest performances of all time.
For acting alone i would give it 4/5.
overall 4.7/10

Kyun ki , Have seen it and found it to be rubbish(no comparo at all).
It is inspired/remake of a Malayalam movie which is inspired by one flew over.

Last edited by vinaydas : 30th October 2010 at 00:13.
Old 30th October 2010, 01:31   #2985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

V for Vendetta : I have seen this movie now upteen times and i am seriously in awe watching this movie and it never ceases to surprise me. The scenes wherein Hugo weaving makes her realize that she has no fear is absolutely brilliant piece of filmography ( story telling, direction) dialogues are on spot and even though you don't see a single expression on the mask, it tries to convey a deeper meaning always. Love it to the core.No wonder it is one of the highest rated movie on imdb.

Rating 5/5
Do I even have to say how big a fan I am of this movie?
I suggest you read the graphic novel too.

Most Viewed