Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2010, 13:49   #3046
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Not sure I agree with that. A lot of scenes were inspired from Cape Fear but the story itself was very different. The reason why the stalker stalks the stalkee were very different in the two movies.

So, straight lift is probably not the right description.
Hmm, your right. Cape Fear was stalking to instill fear and take revenge for sending him to prison whereas the hindi version was obssessed with love.

But, both had same intensity and last scene on the boat was a straight lift
Old 10th November 2010, 23:06   #3047
Senior - BHPian

watched the following last weekends.

1. Assassination of Jesse James by Coward Robert Ford.

Southern accent of Brad pit is not upto the mark. Pretty interesting dialogues. Nice movie. Most people will find it slow. But all of them biopic are similar, ain't it.?

2. Control Room, Its a documentary about Al Jazeera and its reporting during 2003 invasion of Iraq. Preety interesting stuff.

I am watching Documentary and Docudrama a lot these days. and wife feels I have turned crazy.
Old 12th November 2010, 10:32   #3048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Caprio was always a very good actor. He has got nominated for lots of Best Actor awards & also won a few of them over his whole career.
I said turning into a "great" actor. That means I thought he was fairly good anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike
Robert De Niro Vs. Al Pacino

Its indeed a tough choice whom to pick as both are just terrific in...
Godfather 2, the best of both worlds then

Last edited by Abhay : 12th November 2010 at 10:36.
Old 12th November 2010, 20:35   #3049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Robert De Niro Vs. Al Pacino

Its indeed a tough choice whom to pick as both are just terrific in their own special way
I love both but if I have to pick one of them then he has to be Robert De Niro. I don't think Al Pacino could pull off Jake La Motta.
Old 12th November 2010, 20:48   #3050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Watched The Proposal

This is an old story in a new avatar but thanks to Sandra Bullock & Ryan Reynolds you dont get bored. Its a nice romantic comedy.
I'm sure you like 'The Bachelor' too. Romantic comedy. Just by heart the lines where he proposes to Renee and you can pick up any girl on the planet
Old 12th November 2010, 21:08   #3051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Speaking about the actors, not only DiCaprio, but almost all the Italians have a way of acting. They are unique and stylish and have this uncanny knack of adjusting to various roles. Be it DeNiro, Pacino, Brando in lead roles or actors like Pesci, DeVito in cameo roles too.

Had always thought that they are naturally suitable for mafia genre but my perception changed when I also saw Analyze this, Home alone series and a few others which I cannot recollect right now.
Between DeNiro and Pacino, i'd pick DeNiro any day. Pacino's acting style is very stagnant and doesnt have the breadth and depth of DeNiro.

But having said all that, Marlon Brando is leagues ahead of the rest of the names there. The way he could make the audience live the characters he played, no one has been able to match that.
Old 12th November 2010, 21:39   #3052
BANNED

Watching Wall-E on Star movies.

Third time and i am still in love with this movie

10/10 for such a gripping movie, full time entertainment.
Old 12th November 2010, 22:38   #3053
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Between DeNiro and Pacino, i'd pick DeNiro any day. Pacino's acting style is very stagnant and doesnt have the breadth and depth of DeNiro.

But having said all that, Marlon Brando is leagues ahead of the rest of the names there. The way he could make the audience live the characters he played, no one has been able to match that.
IMO, DeNiro and Pacino is not much of a comparision. One doesn't get the feeling that DeNiro is putting great effort in the character but yet brings the best out of the role. Same cannot be said of Pacino but a great actor no doubt.

Agree with Brando. Before Godfather series, one has to just watch A streetcar named desire and On the Waterfront to see what he was capable of. Another lesser known movie which I liked was Last Tango in Paris ( a bit contoversial, but we are talking about acting, right ;-)) and yes, who can forget Apocalypse Now. His best movie IMO.

P.S - Pure Cinema thread is complaining about lack of contribution from one Mr. Amitoj ;-)

Last edited by JVH : 12th November 2010 at 22:42.
Old 12th November 2010, 22:53   #3054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
IMO, DeNiro and Pacino is not much of a comparision. One doesn't get the feeling that DeNiro is putting great effort in the character but yet brings the best out of the role. Same cannot be said of Pacino but a great actor no doubt.

Agree with Brando. Before Godfather series, one has to just watch A streetcar named desire and On the Waterfront to see what he was capable of. Another lesser known movie which I liked was Last Tango in Paris ( a bit contoversial, but we are talking about acting, right ;-)) and yes, who can forget Apocalypse Now. His best movie IMO.

P.S - Pure Cinema thread is complaining about lack of contribution from one Mr. Amitoj ;-)
:-( i know man. I am giving some more attention to my gut these days, which went into an expansion overdrive recently, so no time for movies any more.

Btw, that thread is accusing you of the same as well.

Regarding Brando, check out The Freshman as well. A delightful comedy.
Old 13th November 2010, 13:30   #3055
Senior - BHPian

Four Faced Liar (2010)

Some friends meet at a bar in NYC and how their stories take them thru love, hate, lies forms the major part of movie.

Its an interesting movie with good acting by star cast. Liked Liz Osborn and Emily peck. Also the music is good too.

Not a bad movie afterall. Watch it if you have nothing to do.

3.5/5
Old 14th November 2010, 18:36   #3056
Team-BHP Support

For years now, I have seen that Movies made from Novels generally fall short of the magic created by the Book. There are loads and loads of such movies.

However, I recently read couple of books whose movies I had already seen. I gotta say books sucked when compared to movies made out of them.

Bourne Identity - There is no connection between the movie and the book after the first scene when he is rescued from the sea. The movie version is lot more gripping and focused. The screen writers did a great job creating a whole new story to suit the movie format.

Absolute Power - Here the main theme remains the same. But the hero isn't the thief, but his daughter's boyfriend who didn't make it to the movie version. The book kills the thief and billionaire much before the end. The movie is lot better than the book. If they could completely get rid of the book hero and make this movie, imagine how redundant he was.
Old 15th November 2010, 14:06   #3057
evo
BHPian

The Kolkata Film Festival is happening now. Incase any of you are interested, I can put up the schedule.
Old 15th November 2010, 14:36   #3058
Senior - BHPian

Any review on 'The Social Network'.?

I may watch this movie sometime this week.
Old 15th November 2010, 14:43   #3059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
For years now, I have seen that Movies made from Novels generally fall short of the magic created by the Book. There are loads and loads of such movies.

However, I recently read couple of books whose movies I had already seen. I gotta say books sucked when compared to movies made out of them.
Sharath, that is because you watched the movie first in these 2 occasions.
Old 15th November 2010, 14:45   #3060
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Any review on 'The Social Network'.?

I may watch this movie sometime this week.
Haven't watched it, but will surely watch it once it comes on DVD. The reviews are very good. And people are even talking about the movie being a cinch for a few Oscar nominations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks