Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:11   #3091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Dinner For Schmucks: Bheja Fry was a much better movie. Oh yes, this is one rare Hollywood movie that seems to have been copied from a Bollywood one.
Yes, Bheja Fry was much better. Btw, Dinner for Schmucks is the American version of the 1998 French comedy film Le Dīner de cons (The Dinner Game). The Hindi remake of the same French movie, Bheja Fry, was released in 2007.

So its French -> Hindi/English

PS: When I watched DFS I too wondered if this was copied from Hindi, and some research on wikipedia clarified things.
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:17   #3092
BHPian

Life Is Beautiful

Life Is Beautiful (Italian: La vita č bella) - Watched the English version on TV sometime back. Superb acting by the protagonist and his son. The story is of a Jewish family in Italy who are sent to a Nazi concentration camp, and how the man of the family tries to protect his son & wife's lives.

I suppose this movie also bagged some Academy awards...
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:22   #3093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkars View Post
Yes, Bheja Fry was much better. Btw, Dinner for Schmucks is the American version of the 1998 French comedy film Le Dīner de cons (The Dinner Game). The Hindi remake of the same French movie, Bheja Fry, was released in 2007.

PS: When I watched DFS I too wondered if this was copied from Hindi, and some research on wikipedia clarified things.
That.Makes.Sense.Now.

Thanks chikkars!
Old 23rd November 2010, 17:59   #3094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That.Makes.Sense.Now.

Thanks chikkars!
Quote:
Dinner For Schmucks: Bheja Fry was a much better movie. Oh yes, this is one rare Hollywood movie that seems to have been copied from a Bollywood one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkars View Post

I have seen the original "Le Dīner de cons" and believe me both the Hindi and English don't come anywhere near the original. And the concept fits really nicely in the still aristocratic French Society.
Old 24th November 2010, 15:09   #3095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
P.S: Next in line " The Dead Pool" starring Clint Eastwood
Missed delivery of this one. Next in line " Syrian" starring George Clooney. Any reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I have seen the original "Le Dīner de cons" and believe me both the Hindi and English don't come anywhere near the original. And the concept fits really nicely in the still aristocratic French Society.
I saw this french movie in Ramakrishna theatre in Hyderabad way back along with Shabana Azmi, Kanwaljeet Singh and Shyam Benegal who were sitting exactly in row in front during a International Film Festival.

Everyone in theatre including the above celebrities stood up and gave a standing ovation for atleast 5 minutes after this movie got over.

That moment struck me and i bought this movie's DVD during one of my trip to US some years ago. Indeed, neither the hindi nor the english version comes any way close.
Old 24th November 2010, 15:35   #3096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Missed delivery of this one. Next in line " Syrian" starring George Clooney. Any reviews?
I think what you meant is "Syriana"

Awesome movie exploring the darkness of the oil trade and espionage business. I would give it 4/5.
Old 24th November 2010, 16:20   #3097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I think what you meant is "Syriana"

Awesome movie exploring the darkness of the oil trade and espionage business. I would give it 4/5.
I am getting bad with my prefix and suffix.

Yes, that's the movie that i meant. Nice to know it's a good one. I can watch it just for GC
Old 25th November 2010, 08:51   #3098
Senior - BHPian

Syriana is brilliant!

Watching Serpico now: Al Pacino is brilliant! Do watch it
Old 26th November 2010, 11:48   #3099

Watched 'The Social Network' - tightly scripted and fast moving. The only drawback is that the ending feels a little rushed.
Old 26th November 2010, 11:53   #3100
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " Syriana" starring George Clooney and Matt Damon

Movie is about oil, politics, espionage, greed and bribery all rolled into one. A slow but, gripping movie about various countries trying to make their hay in middle east through the oil legions

A little tough to understand in the beginning but, once you get a hang of it, its actually educational. Liked it thoroughly.

At the begining they actually show a TATA bus and probably 10% of dialogues of this movie are in HINDI

Lovely watch

3.5/5

P.S: Next in line " The Kingdom" which i think is somewhat in similar lines.
Old 26th November 2010, 20:49   #3101
Senior - BHPian

Before the Rains (2007)

I have nothing much to write home about the story line. But, I like this movie for its awesome cinematography and background score.

Yes, it's worth giving a try

My Rating : 7/10

REC(2007)

The movie begins with a TV crew, making a documentary on Firemen and many unexpected things happen as the movie progresses. Even though I didn't have much expectations from this low budget Spanish horror film, I really liked this movie.

This movie was shot using a Handycam and the person behind the camera is an integral part of this movie. I bet that this movie will scare the daylights out of you. Yes, REC is a movie that will make you scared for a couple of days, or may be weeks.

My Rating : 8/10

Next in line, Munich and The Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind. Looking forward for your inputs on the same.
Old 26th November 2010, 21:33   #3102
BHPian

Munich is a great movie , Oscar nominated IIRC
Also try to see Baraka, not a movie but a great documentary. No story line, just various places across the world but Sadly , shows India in poor light.
Old 27th November 2010, 03:04   #3103
Senior - BHPian

Saw The GodFather

Yes Again & boy what crisp direction & what fine performances by some terrific actors. Its a timeless masterpiece simply brilliant

5/5
Old 27th November 2010, 11:08   #3104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
Munich is a great movie , Oscar nominated IIRC
Also try to see Baraka, not a movie but a great documentary. No story line, just various places across the world but Sadly , shows India in poor light.
That's right it was nominated for several academy awards. Its great to see they select an Australian ( Eric Bana---seen in Black Hawk Dawn too) and make him look like an Israeli. Hollywood production values are unparallel.

Great true story !!!

Watched " The Kingdom" starring Jamie Foxx

Its the story of a team of FBI visiting Saudi Arabia to investigate the mass murder of americans working in Saudi. They are given 5 days to complete their investigation.

One of the best movies that i enjoyed watching in some time. Great action ( some truly spectacular gun fights and highway accident), lovely insight into middle east and great acting by Jamie and the Saudi guys.

Dont miss it

4/5

P.S: Next in line " Hide and Seek" starring Robert De Niro. Anyone seen it?
Old 27th November 2010, 11:15   #3105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Saw The GodFather

Yes Again & boy what crisp direction & what fine performances by some terrific actors. Its a timeless masterpiece simply brilliant

5/5
It is one of my all time favorite movie. Can't remember how many times I watched it!!

BTW watch Godfather II - IMO that is better than the original Godfather - specially - Al Pacino.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks