Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2011, 02:51   #3301
BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Saw 'The Italian Job'
The mini coopers are just awesome!
skoda fabia looks like them actually!
Old 4th February 2011, 11:15   #3302
Senior - BHPian

Just back from 127 hours. I was dragged by my colleague and he gave me an option of a horror movie and this one. I opted for it because of Danny Boyle and A R Rahman. It is quite a movie. Of course one time watch. I don't see any point in watching it again. The real kicker was when I came to know at the end that it was a true story. I read in the beginning that it was based out of a novel by someone.
Goes to show what a man can do for survival.
The music was not much of a catch but then the movie was not meant to be a musical. Boyle got a low budget movie running this time. 3/5.
Old 5th February 2011, 13:46   #3303
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Machete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Machete is everything that the teaser (during Planet Terror) promised and more. Delightfully entertaining with lots of violence, gore and with political correctness blasted to smithereens! I had a huge grin on my face throughout the film!

Mind you that this fiilm is not for the faint hearted nor the easily offended types. This is a movie for horror and exploitation cinema connoiseurs only!
+1. Saw this movie and found it simply awesome. As mentioned, its not meant for everyone. I am happy for Danny Trejo, after years of struggle he finally got a role that is designed for him. Probably due to his cousin Robert who is also the director of this movie.

Only part that didnt look real was Steven Seagal losing to Danny. Steven looked more initimidating than Danny in that last fight

Surprising was Danny gets to romance Michelle, Jessica Alba and Lindsay Lohan. Wish I was in his shoes...Wheew

Lastly, Danny Trejo has got an unbeilevable physique and doesnt look 66 years old at all. Kudos to him

Cant wait for the sequels Machete Kills & Machete Kills Again

3.5/5
Old 7th February 2011, 12:04   #3304
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched "The Social Network" based on how Facebook creation.

Firstly, the acting by Jesse who played the FB creator Mark Zuckerburg was absolutely brilliant. He is shown as a nerd, extremely confident, scheming at times and terrific at decision making which he takes in a jiffy.

Isnt that what makes someone successful?

However, having said that they focussed more on legal battles rather than how it became successful. A little more insight as to how FB became successful would have been awe-inspiring. Not that it was not even without it.

Nice cameo role by Justin Timberlake who bulldozes into the venture

Definetly a good watch but, the dialogues are super fast and you need to keep a good ear out or you will miss the point

I felt guys who sued him were paid 65 Million for no reason as they didnt have anything except a vague idea which Mark converted into FB.

The final scene with subtitle " Mark Zuckerberg is the youngest billionaire in the world" will make you feel really bad

4/5
Old 7th February 2011, 15:19   #3305
Senior - BHPian

Faster - Starring The Rock

A revenge saga worth a watch. The Rock (Dwayne Johnson) is in form after long time. Quite a good surprise in the story too. But a couple of things are hard to digest making it feel like a Bollywood movie. Still worth a watch. Has my fav car in it - Chevelle SS. Maggie Grace looks stunningly beautiful.

4.5/5

Mean Girls 2

A chick flick all the way. Its hilarious to see the girls fight out with guys being on-lookers. A little bit of emotion thrown in here and there. Predictable storyline, good looking girls, a perfect time pass. Watch it with female friends and you will enjoy even more.

3.5/5. Female friends loved it even more, i guess they would easily give a 4.5/5.

Last edited by chevelle : 7th February 2011 at 15:21.
Old 7th February 2011, 15:27   #3306
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
However, having said that they focussed more on legal battles rather than how it became successful. A little more insight as to how FB became successful would have been awe-inspiring. Not that it was not even without it.
Actually, they have pretty much covered everything about how FB became successful - what's wasn't covered in your opinion?
Quote:

Nice cameo role by Justin Timberlake who bulldozes into the venture
When I hear Napster, I think of Shawn Fanning - I don't think of Sean Parker(the character played by Timberlake) - that Sean Parker was talked about as (more or less) the sole founder of Napster was rather misleading.

Quote:

I felt guys who sued him were paid 65 Million for no reason as they didnt have anything except a vague idea which Mark converted into FB.
It wasn't just a vague idea. They had started work on it and they hired Mark to do some programming for them. Mark kept them stringing along making them believe that he was doing their working while not doing anything about it & at the same time building his own stuff with their idea. So he effectively delayed their product while building his own so that he could be the first to launch. I think the settlement was fair.

The surprising thing about the movie was that the Indian character was played by a British actor(of Italian + Chinese descent) & that the 2 American brothers were played by the same actor (double role!!)

Last edited by carboy : 7th February 2011 at 15:28.
Old 7th February 2011, 17:48   #3307
Distinguished - BHPian

@Carboy, they did a fairly good job including how each feature was added based on real life instances. But, how they grew was not clearly described. What was the revenue model that made this website and its owner so wealthy ( Clearly it was not ad campaigns as Mark and Sean make fun of Eduardo for paying visits to ad companies to advertise on their website) would have been a little more insightful.

Well, I agree on Shawn vs.Sean but, nerds are hardly given their due many a times. It's the business mind who takes away the credit mostly (sometimes undue)

With regards to Mark stealing the idea from the Winklevoss brothers. I did mention Mark seemed to have a scheming mind. But, the way they shown in this movie didnt look like he had anything substantial to begin with except for an idea and some initial work done.

Anyways, all said and done. It's an inspirational movie and worth a watch for sure

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th February 2011 at 17:49.
Old 7th February 2011, 20:50   #3308
BANNED

Quote:
@carboy, they did a fairly good job including how each feature was added based on real life instances. But, how they grew was not clearly described. What was the revenue model that made this website and its owner so wealthy ( Clearly it was not ad campaigns as Mark and Sean make fun of Eduardo for paying visits to ad companies to advertise on their website) would have been a little more insightful.
During the time shown in the movie, Facebook wasn't making any profits. They had a negative cashflow of 150 million dollars. All the money came from venture capital. Mark was rich because of stock in the company.
Whatever money they were making was through advertising, but at that time, it was still not turning a profit. I think FB started making money only in 2010.
Old 7th February 2011, 23:51   #3309
Senior - BHPian

And sometime later last year he got Time 'person of the Year'. This magazine is losing its credibility each year.
Old 8th February 2011, 06:33   #3310
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
And sometime later last year he got Time 'person of the Year'. This magazine is losing its credibility each year.
Why should he not have been the Time person of the year? Check up the criteria for Time person of the year & all the people who are on the list before replying.
Old 8th February 2011, 08:25   #3311
Senior - BHPian

Saw Law Abiding Citizen starring Gerald Butler and Jamie Foxx.

The story was gripping although the climax was the one which I hadn't expected. The way Jamie Foxx was suprised every time by Butler with his moves was absolutely fanstastic. There was a message in the film but was not portrayed properly.

Verdict: 4/5.
Old 8th February 2011, 10:38   #3312
BHPian

Quote:
+1. Saw this movie and found it simply awesome. As mentioned, its not meant for everyone. I am happy for Danny Trejo, after years of struggle he finally got a role that is designed for him. Probably due to his cousin Robert who is also the director of this movie.

3.5/5
Loved this movie but wished the preacher guy had a bigger role. He was just awesome. I loved this line of his :
"I absolve you of all your sins. Now get the **** outta here" .

I don't think we are going to get the sequels though. Robert is too busy with a lot of projects. We haven't even got a Sin City 2 yet, which has been in the making for many years now. He should stop doing those kiddie movies that take up a lot of his time. I hear he is now doing another sequel for the Spy Kids franchise.
Old 8th February 2011, 11:59   #3313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Only part that didnt look real was Steven Seagal losing to Danny. Steven looked more initimidating than Danny in that last fight
That's true, Steven is a highly accomplished martial arts guy unlike Danny, who was an amateur boxer in the prison. The body language easily gives that out. Can anyone believe Mel Gibon/Danny Glover beating Jet lee in Lethal Action 4? Ok, they made it look very difficult, but still...
Old 8th February 2011, 12:07   #3314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Loved this movie but wished the preacher guy had a bigger role. He was just awesome. I loved this line of his :
"I absolve you of all your sins. Now get the **** outta here" .

I don't think we are going to get the sequels though. Robert is too busy with a lot of projects. We haven't even got a Sin City 2 yet, which has been in the making for many years now. He should stop doing those kiddie movies that take up a lot of his time. I hear he is now doing another sequel for the Spy Kids franchise.
Cheech Marin - my fav! always the guy who's first in the list to get blasted in a movie!
BTW - is this was Rob Rod is cooking?

Old 8th February 2011, 13:32   #3315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Why should he not have been the Time person of the year? Check up the criteria for Time person of the year & all the people who are on the list before replying.
Just my opinion that someone who has saved lives or made the place a better place to live in should be given the award and not a venture made for monetary gains. Selflessness makes a man.

3 movies which i watched.

Eyes of an Angel: John Travolta
A loving story of a dog which walks into a gals life. Beautiful movie in the interactions of the pet and the gal and also slightly removes the notion of dobermans being ferocious animals.

I liked it but will go with 2.5/5

Ferris Buellers day off:
Awesome movie of a kid who bunks school and makes an entire story round it. Goes on a date, rocks a carnival, steals a ferrari and finally gets away wit it from his principal and his parents.

Do watch this movie as its amazingly funny.

I loved it. 4/5

The Express:
Based on the story of the first african american boy to win the heisman trophy.
Heisman Trophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shows his travails from a poor family to the Syracuse team and then onto Cleaveland. Very good movie and shocks you at times on the racial discrimination and hate which had filled a country.

Do watch it. 4/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks