Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2011, 12:25   #3916
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Youre in for a proper treat.
This is an amazing movie, justifying/definitive of the word "amazing", in fact.
And dont forward the introductory casting reel.
Its hauntingly beautiful.
Its as good as some well made movies, in fact, the casting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikxsans660 View Post
Its a delight to watch Nicolas Cage doing negative roles. Its a decent movie, i would give it a 3.5/5. But this thing what they show in the movie is for real, probably not in anywhere to our knowledge.

You should watch it. Recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Lord of war is based on this guy Viktor Bout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do watch the ENTIRE movie. Please do not miss any scene. Its totally worth it.

Thanks a ton for your comments guys. I am surely gonna watch it over the weekend. Everyone who has seen this movie swears by it and everyone seems to have their favorite part of the movie. Like Mayank has mentioned the intro casting, a friend of mine says that the ending is the best ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Watched The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy

Attachment 582967

- How does Gollum loose the ring after possessing it for so long? (I guess "The Hobbit" has that answer)

- How does Saruman the wizard looses battle so easily from the Treebeards/ents? Why does he looses his powers?

- If the ring controlled all the rings, why does the bearer suffers? Is it because the ring had it loyalty to Sauron? How exactly does the ring control others?

- Why did Sauron wait for 2500 years to have a battle for Middle Earth?

- The witch king dies a pretty lame death considering the fear people have of him.
You missed the most pertinent of all questions:

Does Frodo give in to Sam's constant leg humping and let Sammy boy make sweet sweet love to him?

Old 26th July 2011, 13:35   #3917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Watched The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy

Attachment 582967

Had a marathon run over the weekend. Amazing movies, great effects, the story is an epic saga with lots of characters & lot of twists & turns.

I did find a few things weird missing in the movie which I believe is because of the adaptation. Still here are some of my doubts

- How does Gollum loose the ring after possessing it for so long? (I guess "The Hobbit" has that answer)

- How does Saruman the wizard looses battle so easily from the Treebeards/ents? Why does he looses his powers?

- If the ring controlled all the rings, why does the bearer suffers? Is it because the ring had it loyalty to Sauron? How exactly does the ring control others?

- Why did Sauron wait for 2500 years to have a battle for Middle Earth?

- The witch king dies a pretty lame death considering the fear people have of him.

Anyways overall, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

4.5/5
I guess if you read the book(s), you can get answers to most of your questions. The movies are generally faithful to the theme of the books, but for the sake of dramatization, the timelines have been compressed/ certain incidents changed/omitted etc.
I can think of some answers to your questions (I read the book in 2004, its huge but really worth it):

1. Gollum loses the ring simply coz the ring wanted to return to its master! It had to come out to the world for that.

2. Saruman loses against ents coz his magic was useless against them. Ents were magical trees themselves and they were protected againsts druids magic and all.

3. Bearer suffers coz ring was not his. The ring belonged to Sauron who had forged it (and had filled all his hatred in it to make it powerful). The other rings were also forged out of same place (Mordor) and hence were "answerable" to the all powerful ring.

4. He was weakened in his last war and had to get powerful again. Which simply means sufficient time had to pass between the events!

5. That was Naz-gul who was once great king but betrayed men to go with Sauron. Yes agree he dies a pretty lame death! But somehow he had to die init? And he was not main villain or anything so the director didnt spend too much time on him. Anyway those flying dinosaur shrieks were really annoying so was happy to see him die actually. I dont remember now how he dies in the book! Maybe someone else can throw some light on that.

LOTR is one of my all time fav movie as well as book. Now that you've done it, I also am tempted to go for my "revision" ritual BTW, did you see the Extended version or the theatre cut?
Old 26th July 2011, 14:13   #3918
Senior - BHPian

I feel Nicolas cage gave one of his finest performances in Lord of War.

Lord of the Rings is one of the best triology ever been made.
Old 26th July 2011, 16:16   #3919
Senior - BHPian

Thanks joslicx, that was some good insight. I saw the theatrical versions but I totally loved the Trilogy. I have added the extended versions to my queue now
Old 26th July 2011, 17:23   #3920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2130378

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2215597

I can't think of better acting by any actor in any movie I have ever seen.

I think the reason it's not mentioned much is because the DVD isn't available in India (as far as I know), though the movie has been shown on TV many times.
Brilliant acting by EN i agree! I watched "Primal Fear" the last weekend, apparently Nortan's debut movie but nowhere did he appear as a rookie...worth a watch. The tamil film Anniyan is loosely based on this...
Old 26th July 2011, 17:33   #3921
Senior - BHPian

The Rainmaker
The Rainmaker (1997) - IMDb

Another movie on a Grisham writing.
If you like court room dramas this movie is for you.

Rating -3.5/5

Trust
Trust (2010) - IMDb

This is a must watch for people with teenage children and must encourage the teenagers to see it as well.
I am not too impressed by clive owen in most of his movies but he is superb in this one.
Also its a debut for Liana Liberato but she is so impressive at such a young age.

Rating -4/5
Old 26th July 2011, 18:39   #3922
Senior - BHPian

Watched 'Captain America: The first avenger' this Saturday - the first 30 minutes gave me hope that this movie would be good (the ratings and collections also suggest so), but from then onwards - oh my God - this is like Sunny Deol in a cape and mask!! Full on Bollywood style hero-villain faceoff, emotional atyachar and the likes. And somehow the ending was a bit damp for me. Easily the weakest movie of the Marvel universe. Only saving grace was the trailer for Avengers after the credits rolled.
Guess Bollywood is now slowly trading the masala movies for sensible stuff with Hollywood.
2.5/5 from me.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:28   #3923
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone seen "Welcome to Jungle" starring Dwayne Johnson A.k.a Rock?

How's it?
Old 27th July 2011, 16:49   #3924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
1. Gollum loses the ring simply coz the ring wanted to return to its master! It had to come out to the world for that.

2. Saruman loses against ents coz his magic was useless against them. Ents were magical trees themselves and they were protected againsts druids magic and all.

3. Bearer suffers coz ring was not his. The ring belonged to Sauron who had forged it (and had filled all his hatred in it to make it powerful). The other rings were also forged out of same place (Mordor) and hence were "answerable" to the all powerful ring.

4. He was weakened in his last war and had to get powerful again. Which simply means sufficient time had to pass between the events!

5. That was Naz-gul who was once great king but betrayed men to go with Sauron. Yes agree he dies a pretty lame death! But somehow he had to die init? And he was not main villain or anything so the director didnt spend too much time on him. Anyway those flying dinosaur shrieks were really annoying so was happy to see him die actually. I dont remember now how he dies in the book! Maybe someone else can throw some light on that.
Adding to these replies, the movies missed a lot of the details from the books that I loved. The movies were technically brilliant but Peter Jackson is not really great at telling stories. The books are much more captivating than the movies. Coming to the questions:

1. The explanation as to how Gollum lost the ring is given in The Hobbit. The basic story is that Bilbo Baggins gets lost inside the caves where Gollum was hiding with the ring and he plays a game with Gollum which Bilbo wins but in the end Bilbo steals it from Gollum's hiding place but tells everyone that he won it ( there is another interesting story behind this but will probably be way OT for this thread ).

2. I don't remember this too well, but it is properly explained in the book. Like joslicx has said, Ents are among the oldest creatures in the LOTR universe and they normally don't get involved in the activities of Middle Earth coz the days are like seconds in their long life. But once they get involved, Saruman didn't stand a chance.

3. The ring is all powerful but it's power can only be harnessed by the maker Sauron. So it always keeps trying to get back to it's owner, hence every bearer suffers from its power.

4. Sauron was defeated in the last war between Orcs and humans/ elves. His spirit survived but was powerless and spent his time building back his powers. He also appears in The Hobbit ( although he is referred to as The Necromancer or something ).

5. This is one of the sections that is completely missed in the movie. Frodo and the Hobbits find a Sword on their journey that was made by the people who used to suffer at the hands of the Nazgul. This is the sword that is used to kill the Nazgul.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:58   #3925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

How's it?
Known also as "The Rundown" its a good Action comedy with some twists. The actions are as expected over the top but funny at the same time. Good one liners and nice acting by the star cast too.

A good one time watch. 3.5/5 from me.
Old 27th July 2011, 17:24   #3926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How's it?
LOL, you planning a ROCKumentary it seems. Not too long ago, it was a certain "Mr. Eastwoad" who caught your fancy.

Read your comments on "Walking Tall" and how you did not like that Sri Sri Rock ji was beaten up by some thugs.

Well, this flick (Welcome to the Jungle) will PAKKA not disappoint you on that front. In fact, even S W Scott plays his character pretty well and provides decent comic relief.

Good entertainment, full on action. Rating - 3/5
Old 27th July 2011, 17:38   #3927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
LOL, you planning a ROCKumentary it seems. Not too long ago, it was a certain "Mr. Eastwoad" who caught your fancy.

Read your comments on "Walking Tall" and how you did not like that Sri Sri Rock ji was beaten up by some thugs.

Well, this flick (Welcome to the Jungle) will PAKKA not disappoint you on that front. In fact, even S W Scott plays his character pretty well and provides decent comic relief.

Good entertainment, full on action. Rating - 3/5
youre forgetting the other "rock" in this movie.
Christopher walken.
"You're dead already. You just don't know it."
"That's a lot of cows."
Old 27th July 2011, 17:43   #3928
BHPian

Quote:

How's it?
The Action is really good in this movie. IIRC this movie was often screened in one of the movie channels .
Old 27th July 2011, 21:24   #3929
Senior - BHPian

Saw Unknown

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-566unknown2011dvdrip.jpg

The Movie is about a Dr. Martin Harris who is in Berlin to attend a conference, things start going wrong when he has an accident & starts loosing some of his memory. What goes next makes him even more confused, his wife of 5 years refuses to recognize him, his friends too do not react in the way he expected. After a while he sees people chasing him, trying to kill him.

The movie is on similar lines of Borune identity just that it does have that kind of storyline, infact the worst part is the overall story.

The only saving grace in this movie is Liam Neeson, supporting cast & the tight direction. Good for one time watch.

2.5/5

Also Saw Short Circuit

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-short_circuit300x300.jpg

Saw this movie on Netflix Streaming & decided to watch it as it had been really long that I had seen this movie. I had some apprehension as to whether I would like this movie today or not as its hardly as Sci-Fi as it was back then but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie as its more about the Human connection that technology itself. A must watch if you havent seen it already

4/5
Old 28th July 2011, 00:14   #3930
BHPian

Hi Guys!

Just saw 'The Hurt Locker'.
Those who are fans of 'Black Hawk Down' will love the way this flick gets you gripped.

Must say a very different & unique story for a war movie.
Its all about IED's and the likes..
A must watch if you are a fan of the new age war flicks!

4/5 *s

Most Viewed