Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 17:26   #4021
BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Guys,do catch tombstone on zee studio at 11 tonight.
Its an amazing western.
Youll love the strengthof the character wyatt earp.
A very Good Texan Cowboy gunslinger movie based on real story of Wyatt Earp & Doc Holliday. Good starcast, Well paced.
Very good performance from Kurt Russel & Val Kilmar.

Watched a good movie after a very long time rating 4/5.
Old 23rd August 2011, 00:51   #4022
Senior - BHPian

Watched a couple of movies in past few days

Courage Under Fire

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-cuf.jpg

The movie is about Gulf war, A fatal friendly Fire accident in which Lt. Col. Nathaniel Serling (Denzel Washington) is involved & his investigation later into the incidents involving a chopper pilot Capt. Karen Walden (Meg Ryan) to verify that she's posthumously worthy of the Congressional Medal of Honor.

His investigations has some revelations which are contradictory to each other & he is on the verge of loosing the case from his hands because while the Washing sees it as a simple case he sees more to.

Its one time watch with some nice performances.

3/5

Road to Perdition

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-rtp.jpg

This a typical story of a Hitman(Tom Hanks) Separating from his Gang because of an Arrogant son(Daniel Craig) of the Gang Leader who kills Tom's wife & kid.

The movie is based in 1930s & has some great performances. This topic has been kind of done many times post Godfather era, in different ways.

Still a one time watch for all the performances.

3/5

Limitless

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-limitless.jpg

Bradley Cooper is a Struggling writer who is on the verge of depression, things change when his ex'wife's brother gives him a pil which allows the consumer to access the entire area of the brain against the 20% that a normal person can.

What follows is a series of success stories along with the death of his BIL resulting in him getting a full stash of these wonder pills.

Are these wonder pills without side effects, would he continue to have his sucessfull run without complications, these are the questions that keep you glued to the movie.

3.5/5

Four Brothers

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-fb.jpg

The movie is about Four brothers who are adopted by an Old lady from foster homes. They are back in town as the lady is shot shot dead in what initially appears to be a grocery store robbery gone wrong.

The brothers decide to find out the real cause of the death & to avenge her death if she didn't die accidentally.

Good direction & storyline, the attachment of these adopted kids with their mother has been portrayed very nicely.

3.5/5

Gone Baby Gone

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-gonebabygone.jpg

The movie debuts Ben Affleck as a director & stars Casey Affleck in a central role. The movie revolves around kidnapping of a Little Girl Amanda & the investigation around the kidnapping. The Child's aunt hires Patrick Kenzie (Casey Affleck) and his partner/girlfriend Angie Gennaro (Michelle Monaghan) to help them in finding Amanda.

What follows is a series of leads & police action which seems to end in a favorable outcome until a point where everything changes as the they are lead to a trap where the kidnappers are shot down & Amanda drowns in a lake.

Following further leads & joining the dots Patrick is made to think that there is more to the kidnapping than in seems. His constant pursuit is what makes the movie interesting to watch.

The ending leaves you kind of confused, luckily my DVD had directors comments which made me understand the end better.

3.5/5
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:35   #4023
Senior - BHPian

Ghostrider : Spirit of Vengeance trailer.

Last edited by Scorcher : 23rd August 2011 at 16:36.
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:23   #4024
Senior - BHPian

For reasons (still) unknown to me, decided to catch up on some Horror "classics" over the weekend.

I am a major scardy cat when it comes to horror flicks but every now and then, I have to watch one .

However, i went the extra mile and saw not one but 2 scary movies last week:

Demons - This is a 1985 movie that I had heard a lot about. Story is pretty simple. Some random people get a free movie ticket where they get transformed into blood thirsty demons.

I was thoroughly disappointed. What a turd of a movie. The demons were so funny. They just seemed very very drunk, who were probably vomited upon by someone else who was drunk. My wife, with whom I was watching this movie, was laughing uncontrollably ...... with ME.

Now, my wife is someone who calls "The Grudge" a silly movie and finds it quite boring and uninteresting. She sat through exorcist and just kept looking back at me with a "why the hell are u hiding under the sheets" look. But I, like I said before am a scrady cat of the highest order. I laughed whilst watching the movie, went to the loo without a worry in the world and also made me a midnight snack in the kitchen, after crossing the dark hallway.

Please avoid. Its a waste of time. Rating - 0/5

__________________________________________________ __________

Evil Dead - What is the point of a horror flick if it dos not make you pray to the good lord so that you do not have to go the the loo before dawn and your wife lets you sleep with the lights on, or waits for you to snooze before she does. Demons was off the charts on the disappointment scale. I had to make this one good.

Enter - Evil Dead. I had a faint recolection of this movie from my childhood. I had seen this in parts and I think it took me a couple of weeks to .....er..... recover. But will the wifey approve?

We started watching the movie. I turned to her with a "did you see that" look post the scene where the swing outside the cabin just stops moving, just as one of the guys (Scotty) grabs the keys to the isolated cabin.

She looked at me and simply shrugged. OK, strike one.

On the positive side, I found the scene quite scary. The problem is with my imagination. "What if you saw someting like this" is what I constantly ask myself whilst watching these films. And if a swing outside an isolated cabin, swinging wildly, just stops dead for no reason ...... I would cry out for mommy.

The film moved on and we were on the scene which shows the 1st posession by the demons. I as expected jumped outta my skin. But my immediate reaction was to look at my wife. Her eyes were fixed to the screen. She slowly turned her head towards me and (no she did not turn into a bhoot) she simply nodded.

YESSSSSSSSS, great successssssssssss.

I must say, this movie is deliciously gory, right till the end. A must watch for any horror movie fan. In fact, after I watched this movie, "Demons" started looking even more ridiculous. I mean, evil dead in a 1981 film, Demons is 1985. The special effects, makeup, actors all were light years ahead of a (relatively) newer film. Sheeesh.

Rating - 4.5/5. Minus 0.5 as the soundtrack was a bit inappropriate for certain scenes. No biggie though

Next up - Demons 2.

I know I know. But I have heard that this movie is better than its predecessor and definitely worth a watch. Anybody's seen it? Comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 23rd August 2011 at 17:26.
Old 24th August 2011, 19:44   #4025
Senior - BHPian

Just added Blu-ray Package to my subscription, first in line was Avatar & The Dark Knight

Need suggestions on good Blu-ray worthy Movies, thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 20:13   #4026
BHPian

There is the old classic Its a Mad Mad Mad World.

Hilarious movie, In case you have not watched. Its definitely worth a watch
Would rate it 4/5.

The story starts off with a reckless driver just come out of prison crashing his car , and prior to dying he tells 4 other parties about a treasure that he buried. Then starts a wild goose chase to get to the treasure.

The movie is pretty long about 2.5 hrs. But quite funny all throughout.

-Fillmore

Last edited by Fillmore : 24th August 2011 at 20:38.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 20:22   #4027
BHPian

Watched "The girl with the dragon tatoo" Its a suspense thriller. The movie is a little lengthy but intriguing nevertheless.

3/5
Old 24th August 2011, 20:47   #4028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
P.S: Next in line " The Bounty Hunter" starring Gerald Butler and Jennifer Aniston.
I found this movie quite boring and almost on the verge of being silly. I shut it off after mid-way.

Yeah Btw, I dont like Jennifer Aniston. I find her irritating.

1/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
For reasons (still) unknown to me, decided to catch up on some Horror "classics" over the weekend.
What a coincidence. The next in line for me is from my favorite genre...Horror

Boogeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
There are quite a few of them that are worth watching on Blue-Ray. Let me highlight a few of them here :-

1. 300
2. Terminator-2
3. Predator
4. War of the World
5. Jurrasic Park
6. Final Destination-2
7. Vantage Point
8. 10,000 BC
9. F&F series ofcourse
10. Bourne Series
11. X-Men-Wolverines ( This would be awesome in HD)

If I think hard, I can list quite a few more...Enjoy the Blue Ray experience
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 20:53   #4029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found this movie quite boring and almost on the verge of being silly. I shut it off after mid-way.

Yeah Btw, I dont like Jennifer Aniston. I find her irritating.

1/5
I was going to warn you but then thought may be you will like it

Quote:
There are quite a few of them that are worth watching on Blue-Ray. Let me highlight a few of them here :-

1. 300
2. Terminator-2
3. Predator
4. War of the World
5. Jurrasic Park
6. Final Destination-2
7. Vantage Point
8. 10,000 BC
9. F&F series ofcourse
10. Bourne Series
11. X-Men-Wolverines ( This would be awesome in HD)

If I think hard, I can list quite a few more...Enjoy the Blue Ray experience
Thanks Buddy, I am actually wary of old titles as I am not sure if they had the Full HD tech back then & these might be just enhanced versions but would surely check out the new titles
Old 24th August 2011, 21:30   #4030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post

Hilarious movie, In case you have not watched. Its definitely worth a watch
Would rate it 4/5.

The story starts off with a reckless driver just come out of prison crashing his car , and prior to dying he tells 4 other parties about a treasure that he buried. Then starts a wild goose chase to get to the treasure.

The movie is pretty long about 2.5 hrs. But quite funny all throughout.

-Fillmore
Remade in Hindi as Dhamal

Old 24th August 2011, 22:46   #4031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just added Blu-ray Package to my subscription, first in line was Avatar & The Dark Knight

If you are an Alien fan, you can try the first two movies. I have the quadrilogy and the first and second movies are stunning transfers to BD.
Old 24th August 2011, 23:20   #4032
Senior - BHPian

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-raidonentebbecharlesbronsonpeterfinch6dac1.jpg
Raid on Entebbe - The best hostage rescue operation ever done by any army in the world. The song 'Hine ma tov' which they sing while going to Uganda on the plane is totally brilliant. Google the lyrics for translation.

Ps: India was asked to carry out a similar operation while the Indian Airlines flight was Hijacked and taken to Kanadhar.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-toratoratoradvdcover.jpg

Tora Tora Tora - It means 'Tiger Tiger Tiger' A war cry japanese used for attacking Pearl. Another awesome depiction of Japan's planning and actuation of Pearl Harbour. A Japanese generals words while the attack on Pearl Harbour was in progress 'We have woken a sleeping Tiger' is truely deadly.

Both these movies a must watch.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:13   #4033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Buddy, I am actually wary of old titles as I am not sure if they had the Full HD tech back then & these might be just enhanced versions but would surely check out the new titles
When I got the PS3 from US when it was initially launched. They gave away 5-6 BD titles and they are very good in picture and sound clarity.

The ones I got with PS3 were:-

Flights of the Phoenix
Swordfish
SWAT
T-2

Couple of Horror/Exploitation movies ( Cant recall the name now)

You needn't be wary of the conversion technology. I am sure it's going to be great.

Check out a few of the older ones and compare it with new BD movies and see if there is a major difference. Would love to know it here after your experience.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 12:51   #4034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post

One of the all time great classic comedy movies. Its a brilliant watch indeed, and the trivia is that all 13 characters were famous comedians/actors of their times. The Hindi remake was nowhere as good- as expected.

Must watch.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:57   #4035
BHPian

Quote:
If you like animation movies, check out Wall-E and Cars. I have heard the conversion to blu ray for these movies is awesome. Ofcourse, Cars isn't a great movie, but it is still decent. Wall-E on the other hand is an amazing movie and looks even better on Blu ray.
Newpunter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks