Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2011, 23:16   #4081
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

I agree with mobike008, lets not confuse popular actor's voices to Striking voices.
Old 9th September 2011, 15:05   #4082
Senior - BHPian

Saw "The Fugitive" starring Tommy Lee Jones and Harrison Ford.

A wonderful movie with Harrison Ford playing a doctor accused of his wife's murder and Tommy Lee hot on his tail as a US Marshal.

The only sore point about this otherwise grippy and fast paced movie was the ending. Too streched IMO. Other than that, no complaints whatsoever.

Rating - 4/5

Old 9th September 2011, 16:28   #4083
BHPian

Watched "The Whistleblower" last night starring Rachel Weisz. The movie is based on the real life story of Kathryn Bolkovac, a police officer who worked in Bosnia and risked her life in exposing human trafficking involving everyone from the police, to the American contractors. A very gripping and sad movie. I wonder how much of it is true, but even if it is only partly true, it is really a sad comment on our times. Rachel Weisz was excellent in the main role.
Old 10th September 2011, 00:09   #4084
Senior - BHPian

Watched Following Movies

Syriana

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-sy.jpeg

Had heard a lot about it but somehow i didn't like it much, Its too much like a documentary. The movie is about US involvement in Middle east for oil & lengths they would go to keep business there flourishing & at any cost. There are bits & pieces which dont make sense till & some even after that.

Blitz

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-blitz2011150x200.jpg

This one was watched with no expectation & it turned out pretty interesting except for the irritating British Accent. The movie involves two characters, an honest but rough cop (Jason Stathom) which is giving cops some bad name And a whacko who is on a Cop killing spree.

Its one time watch.

3/5
Old 10th September 2011, 00:55   #4085
Senior - BHPian

Saw following movies over the past few days:
1. Once Upon a Time in the West: Story of a mysterious man who teams up with a bandit to protect a woman and her property from a cold blooded killer who works for the railroad. Directed by Sergio Leone (Dollars Trilogy, Once Upon a Time in America) this movie is considered a masterpiece as far as Spaghetti Westerns go. In a way, this movie was Sergio's goodbye to making movies about the old ways of the West. Well, the movie does test your patience at times, for example in the opening scene when one bandit is sitting on a chair being bugged by a fly. Anyway, the mood of the film seems to have inspired Sholay and probably Jai's harmonica act in Sholay was a tribute to this movie. The main character in the movie, played by Charles Bronson, plays the harmonica too. Its considered a classic movie, so it is not for everyone.

2. City of God: Set in Brazil's Rio, the movie is about gang violence and how kids get sucked into it. It traces the story of three boys who grow up in the same neighbourhood but one takes a different path while the other two form the most vicious and merciless drug ring. Very hard hitting movie, perhaps a bit too real for average movie watching. Do not watch this movie if you cant stand kids gunning people down and getting shot at.

3. Its a Beautiful Life: I needed a feel good movie after all that. So, this one came up. Story of a man driven to suicide and is assigned to an angel looking to earn his wings. The angel shows the man what life in his town would have been had he not existed. The hero had always desired to get out of the small town and explore the world but cruel twists of fate ensured that he never left the town. Settled, married, with kids and always fighting the mean money lender who owns everything else, our hero finally snaps when he hits bankruptcy. Last few scenes of the movie are quite nice and will definitely move you. I heard that this movie is regular christmas tradition in many homes.

Next up:
Goodfellas
Chinatown
Some Like it Hot

I have seen the above movies in bits and pieces only. Thought i should give them the attention they deserve.
Old 10th September 2011, 07:21   #4086
Senior - BHPian

Assassination Games:

JCVD - One of my fav action hero is back after a hiatus. And what a come back.

Loved the movie. Action fans don't miss is all i would say. May be a little slow for some.

4.5/5
Old 10th September 2011, 09:45   #4087
Distinguished - BHPian

Next movie being delivered is "The Fighter" starring Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale. Heard good things about it!

Got a busy weekend. Hope will be able to watch it.
Old 11th September 2011, 02:04   #4088
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Saw following movies over the past few days:
1. Once Upon a Time in the West: Story of a mysterious man who teams up with a bandit to protect a woman and her property from a cold blooded killer who works for the railroad. Directed by Sergio Leone (Dollars Trilogy, Once Upon a Time in America) this movie is considered a masterpiece as far as Spaghetti Westerns go. In a way, this movie was Sergio's goodbye to making movies about the old ways of the West. Well, the movie does test your patience at times, for example in the opening scene when one bandit is sitting on a chair being bugged by a fly. Anyway, the mood of the film seems to have inspired Sholay and probably Jai's harmonica act in Sholay was a tribute to this movie. The main character in the movie, played by Charles Bronson, plays the harmonica too. Its considered a classic movie, so it is not for everyone.

What a coincidence! Just today, felt like rummaging through my collection and play one of the Sergio Leone classics. Just watched For a Few Dollars More. The tune is a classic!

Once upon a time in West is a classic to watch, esp. Henry Fonda!
Old 11th September 2011, 02:21   #4089
BHPian

Knowing a Man's taste in movies is a sure shot way to know how well will you get along, and whether your interests coincide (among other things). It's been interesting observing in here.

OTOH, I am listing 5 of my favorite movies of this year with an extremely brief review. One for each genre. Enjoy !

1. Rango: (Animation)

Beats 3D hoopla fair and square. For the first time in years, a Pixar product didn't turn out to be the finest animated feature of the year. Fitting now that iGod is retired. For those who enjoyed 'Toy Story', 'Finding Nemo' 'Cars' etc. Recommended feature.

2. Senna: (Documentary)

For Caroholics here, a glorious ode to one of the greatest Formula 1 drivers. The best documentary I have personally seen since 'Man On Wire'. Watch it for some fascinating footage of the underbelly of F1. And whether or not you are familiar with F1, sit tight for the final Scene.

3. I saw the Devil: (Extreme)

Disclaimer: Not For Everyone.

The grand daddy of all serial killer movies. Comes from Korea. No surprises there. Choi Min Sik, the lead of 'Oldboy' (On which 'Zinda' starring Sanjay Dutt and John Abraham was based) plays one of the most scariest villain of recent times with frightening ease. Stay away if you have a weak stomach.

4. Submarine: (Comedy)

You gotta watch this quirky little British feature. But only if you are a fan of subtle comedies (say: Thank you for smoking /or Invention of lying) and British accent. Eminently pleasing and watchable.

5. Source Code: (Thriller)
This one is a straightforward true blockbuster in the real sense. No niche audience crap. Made for all good old thriller. Paisa Vasool kinds. Total Masala movie. Don't miss.

There are lots. For now these would suffice I guess
Old 12th September 2011, 00:22   #4090
Senior - BHPian

The Debt - (*ing Helen Mirren, Sam Worthington and others) - A small group of Mossad operatives, after 30 years, revisit one of their most successful operation which was done deep undercover - but things could not have gone wrong at a worse time.
Great watch, never boring - the characters alternate between flashbacks and current time.
4.5/5 from me.
Old 12th September 2011, 00:38   #4091
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Next movie being delivered is "The Fighter" starring Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale. Heard good things about it!

Got a busy weekend. Hope will be able to watch it.
4/5. Fighter was one of the few decent movies I have seen in the last 6-8 months.

Kick-*** is another movie I enjoyed recently. If I had known what Kick-*** was about I would have never watched it. But I had never heard of the movie & watched it on TV. It's a a sort of a super-hero movie. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie & I think HitGirl is the coolest superhero.
Old 12th September 2011, 09:48   #4092
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw "justice league: crisis on two earths" yesterday on hbo.
For all hardcore comic guys, aware of the multiverse concept prevelant in all(dc, marvel), this would make sense.
for others, avoid, cos itll be hard to digest "ultraman".

what with the advent of STBs and favorite channels, by the time i get to the cartoon channels, the allowed allocation is finished, so i dont know if the JL/Xmen toons are still shown.
this was very welcome.
2 hours of pure fun!!
5/5, definitely!!
Old 12th September 2011, 10:01   #4093
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Seven Samurai. Oh man, a real touching movie. After a loong time, a black & white movie.
Old 12th September 2011, 10:46   #4094
Senior - BHPian

Skipped watching "The Platoon" and instead saw "Runaway Jury"

Man !!!!!!! this movie did not disappoint. Just brilliant.

I always took Johan Cusak for some poster boy, but the man can act. He is truly gifted. Rachel Weisz was stunning as always and gave a very memorable performance.

You also have two oldies fighting it out. Dustin Hoffman's role was kinda average but Gene Hackman knocked it out of the park.

The storyline is riveting (its based on a novel by Grisham by the same name) and the direction is superlative. Extremely fast paced sans a dull moment. It has enough twists and turns to make you head spin (in a good way) and the ending made me go .

A wonderful film. Please watch if you have not already, highly recommended.

Rating - 5/5
Old 12th September 2011, 11:11   #4095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Skipped watching "The Platoon" and instead saw "Runaway Jury"

Man !!!!!!! this movie did not disappoint. Just brilliant.

I always took Johan Cusak for some poster boy, but the man can act. He is truly gifted. Rachel Weisz was stunning as always and gave a very memorable performance.

You also have two oldies fighting it out. Dustin Hoffman's role was kinda average but Gene Hackman knocked it out of the park.

The storyline is riveting (its based on a novel by Grisham by the same name) and the direction is superlative. Extremely fast paced sans a dull moment. It has enough twists and turns to make you head spin (in a good way) and the ending made me go .

A wonderful film. Please watch if you have not already, highly recommended.

Rating - 5/5
You should try War, Inc.

Cusack, throwing kicks and punches galore!!!
and beating the other guy as well!!!

Most Viewed