Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2011, 22:07   #4216
BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Could you name some of the most hardcore Horror movies that could scare even most fearless persons? I am a huge fan of Horror movies, and want to scare one of my friend who has not so far feared after watching most of the horror movies.
IMO,

1. Paranormal activity - Part 1
2. The Entity
3. Nightmare on Elm street (80s)
4. In the mouth of madness
5. Omen 1
Thunderbird77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 22:14   #4217
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

P.S : Next in line is "Shumcks for Dinner" anyone seen this version of the popular french comedy?
Not a bad movie, but not even a patch on the original. I give the original 5/5 & I would give this 3.5/5.

The original had a very small storyline & stuck to it. This one goes all over the place.

And the name of the movie is 'Dinner for schmucks', I think.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 11:41   #4218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Not a bad movie, but not even a patch on the original. I give the original 5/5 & I would give this 3.5/5.

The original had a very small storyline & stuck to it. This one goes all over the place.

And the name of the movie is 'Dinner for schmucks', I think.
Your right about the name. Btw, I own the original DVD " The Dinner Game" in French and that is a classic and Bheja Fry didnt even come close.

I saw the French movie at a cultural movie festival in Hyderabad a decade ago with a few popular celebrities like Shabana Azmi, Kwanljeet Singh and Shyam Benegal present in the theatre and I still remember all of us stood up and gave a standing ovation after the movie got over. Then searched for it and bought it during a trip to US
Old 9th November 2011, 21:42   #4219
BHPian

Watched Apollo 18 today, would rate it 3/5.

Good movie for a one time watch, its somewhat similar to Blair witch project.

Storyline: Decades-old found footage from NASA's abandoned Apollo 18 mission, where two American astronauts were sent on a secret expedition, reveals the reason the U.S. has never returned to the moon.

Apollo 18 (2011) - IMDb

The True Story The Apollo 18 Movie is Based On - MoviesOnline

Apollo 18 Movie I Official Site for Apollo 18 I Available On Blu-Ray and DVD December 27th

-Sajan
Old 9th November 2011, 22:05   #4220
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Your right about the name. Btw, I own the original DVD " The Dinner Game" in French and that is a classic and Bheja Fry didnt even come close.
I gave up watching Bheja Fry 30 minutes into the movie. It suffered badly in comparison with Dinner Game - likewise "Dinner from Schmucks".

Quote:

I saw the French movie at a cultural movie festival in Hyderabad a decade ago with a few popular celebrities like Shabana Azmi, Kwanljeet Singh and Shyam Benegal present in the theatre and I still remember all of us stood up and gave a standing ovation after the movie got over. Then searched for it and bought it during a trip to US
I saw it on video when in the US on a recommendation from a friend. I re-rented it 4-5 times in a years time and ended up watching it 7-8 times.

I also hunted out other movies by the same director - they are OK, but again not as good as "Dinner Game". A lot of his movies have been remade in Hollywood.
Old 10th November 2011, 22:33   #4221
BHPian

Watched Eagle eye. It started off well but the second half was all messed up.

Rating - 2/5
Old 11th November 2011, 08:57   #4222
BHPian

Trick 'R Treat - Its a good horror movie with some cheesy bits. Movie is about Halloween. FYI: Contains some nudity.
Old 11th November 2011, 14:26   #4223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
P.S : Next in line is "Shumcks for Dinner" anyone seen this version of the popular french comedy?
This movie is simply below average. Especially after seeing the original, I found everyone so artificial and this movie forced in terms of dialogues and pace.

The shmuck for dinner was indeed irritating without being sweet and the antagonist was no where near to the original and quite far away from Rajat Kapoor as well.

Give it a miss...

1.5/5
Old 11th November 2011, 15:43   #4224
Senior - BHPian

Watched Transformers3 yesterday. The franchise is becoming repetitive. Though all the special effects are good, it becomes yawn inducing after a while. Megan Fox's replacement Rosie Huntington Whitley is no better. She can't act. All in all a good time pass and a one time watch if you are a fan of the franchise like me, less no loss in skipping.

Watched Kung Fu Panda 2 today. Brilliant movie. Loved it. Po is as adorable as ever. Watch out for the scene between the Tigress and the Panda which underlines their friendship. Touching.

To sum it up,

Transformers 3- No big loss if you skip. Good if you watch.

Kungu Fu Panda 2- Highly recommended.
Old 13th November 2011, 05:28   #4225
Senior - BHPian

Watched Tintin earlier tonight.

Being a proper Tintin fan I had to watch the movie, and man was it awesome! They've really managed to maintain that same look and feel that Hergé had illustrated in the books. It's literally like Hergé's illustrations have come to life! To be honest I never thought the movie would live up to the books. But this time it has!

Action packed, funny and quintessentially Tintin! A must watch (especially for every Tintin fan)!

Rating 4.5/5
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 10:16   #4226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Watched Tintin earlier tonight.
I am so glad to see this review as i am scheduled to see it tonight. Me too a big Tintin fan and hope it lives upto my expectations

So which character according to you was potrayed the closest to Herge's comic book version? Appreciate some thought on it...

Tintin?
Snowy?
Capt. Haddock?
Thomson & Thomson Bros
Old 13th November 2011, 13:04   #4227
BHPian

Quote:
I am so glad to see this review as i am scheduled to see it tonight. Me too a big Tintin fan and hope it lives upto my expectations

So which character according to you was potrayed the closest to Herge's comic book version? Appreciate some thought on it...

Tintin?
Snowy?
Capt. Haddock?
Thomson & Thomson Bros
Ten thousand thundering typhoons,Blistering Barnacles I have to go and watch tintin on the big screen.

-Sajan
Old 13th November 2011, 14:36   #4228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Tintin?
Snowy?
Capt. Haddock?
Thomson & Thomson Bros
Hey! I'm sure you'll love the movie, Mobike

IMHO, the movie casts all the characters exactly like how Hergé did in the books! Right from 'Thundering Typhoons' Haddock, 'Great Snakes' Tintin and the 'To be precise' Thompson twins, everything is spot on! Right from their mannerisms to the clothes they wear, it's just like how Hergé had crafted them - a real treat to Tintin fans!

If anything, Snowy is even more awesome in the movie

PS: Here's a review which I think sums up the movie really well: These pretzels are making me thirsty: 'The Adventures of Tintin' Review

Cheers!
Old 13th November 2011, 20:04   #4229
Senior - BHPian

Ten thousand thundering typhoons and billions of blue blistering barnacles! I've to watch this movie!

Hic
Old 13th November 2011, 22:19   #4230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Could you name some of the most hardcore Horror movies that could scare even most fearless persons? I am a huge fan of Horror movies, and want to scare one of my friend who has not so far feared after watching most of the horror movies.
Not your friend's fault.

Most of the present generation has become desensitized to horror movies - blame it on the overdose of all types of horror in the past 10-12 years, CGI-induced eye-rollers, classic horror films looking dated today, or even the new-found love for the Forward Seek through mouse/remote. They Fast Forward to the scary scenes which, without the atmosphere built into it from the story, lose quite a bit of effectiveness. J-Horror (or japanese horror) worked for awhile during the 00s because of this ability to effectively merge the really scary bits into the story and there was a "jump scare" every 5-10 minutes. Now, even Jap horror feels repetitive for this same exact reason.

The latest trend? "Documentary Horror" - Cloverfield, Paranormal Activity, [REC], Troll Hunter, etc. Coming fast on it's heels is 3D horror, by the likes of Piranha 3D, Prometheus 3D (prequel in the Alien series scheduled for next year release), etc. Audiences are getting desensitized, and studios are desperate in their search to scare the audiences in any way they can, just because they need their profits.

The main reason why a film like "The Exorcist" worked back then because it brought a horrific chain of events straight into the daily routine of a family - a common mother-daughter family living in a bustling city suddenly found themselves thrown into a real-life horror situation. Every time possessed Regan growled at the priests during the exorcisms, you could hear the honking of horns of passing traffic outside the window. Audiences could hear that, and that made it all the more scary. Films back then built up the atmosphere so thick you could literally cut through it with a knife, then brought the scares in which became all the more effective.

The genre, needless to say, doesn't have much of a future. Maybe a spark every now and then, like a Paranormal Activity or a Let The Right One In or a [REC], but no sustained glow like the 70s and the 80s.

-----

Last film watched - Sector 7.

Korea's foray into commercial 3D horror is disappointing. Obviously inspired by various genre films such as Deep Rising, The Abyss, Alien, Predator, Grindhouse, et al, what the film lacks is substance and good, fleshy characters. The monster looks pretty impressive when it is introduced for the first time, and the concept behind it is the only saving grace of an otherwise below-average film.

Rated - * *

Last edited by RavenAvi : 13th November 2011 at 22:21.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks