Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 11:16   #4636
Senior - BHPian

The Avengers - If you can look beyond the cheesy dialogues and unbalanced cast of superheroes (how can hawkeye even be termed as a superhero??).. this film delivers to the best of its ability. The most important thing is that though the film is quite long at 2 and a half hours, it rarely feels so.
Suggested watch list before you go in to see the Avengers -

Iron Man 1
The incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America

.... and never leave the theater after a Marvel movie is just over.. stay till the end of credits

Couple of weeks back I also caught 'The cabin in the woods' - its a sick and slick genre twister film - slasher and scifi with a sprinkling of stoner movies ! I strongly recommend it. Not a family movie - not a kids movie - not a movie for the faint at heart. Enjoy while it lasts!

Last edited by Eddy : 7th May 2012 at 11:24. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 12th May 2012, 17:32   #4637
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Who else felt that watching this in 3d was a waste. I dont know why such movies are even made in 3d?
+1. The 3D was useless. They should have left it at 2D.

The movie is good. No, very good. But it doesn't live up to its hype. Maybe, I was expecting more out of it.

It's Downey Jr's movie all the way. He just steals the show.

All in all, a one time must watch.

3.75/5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watched Hachiko this afternoon starring Richard Gere and Joan Allen. It's a true story about a dog and it's master.

For those of you who have not watched, please,please go watch it. The movie is a bit slow, but the emotions are beautifully captured.

5/5. Highly recommended.

Last edited by sachinj12 : 12th May 2012 at 17:58.
Old 12th May 2012, 19:57   #4638
BHPian

go on guys!

share the love, mothers day is tomorrow!!!

feel free to paste this to your own blogs, twitter handles, fb feeds, google+ circles etc etc etc!

a little tribute to our mums, which holds true for pretty much everyone else too!

be safe.
ak
Old 15th May 2012, 13:53   #4639
BHPian

Watched "The Forest" yesterday. It's a tight thriller about a couple holidaying in a (North Indian) national park and realise that there's a man eating leopard wreaking havoc in the area. Very good cinematography and the animal scenes are filmed with actual animals than fake looking CGI. A very well made film that everyone should watch in the cinema. I watched this at a multiplex yesterday and there were a total of 5 people watching this film. The crowds were busy watching the latest regurgitated, song + dance+ romance = happy ending bollywood horse manure. Why people don't support good quality, innovative domestic cinema is completely beyond my understanding. If you like a good horror /thriller and are a fan of wildllife, you must catch this flick. At the cinema!!!
Old 15th May 2012, 17:36   #4640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Watched "The Forest" yesterday. It's a tight thriller about a couple holidaying in a (North Indian) national park and realise that there's a man eating leopard wreaking havoc in the area.
Sounds like my type of cinema. Is it a English movie? Cast? I dont see this movie playing in theatres in Hyderabad. If it releases here, will certainly watch it.

Thanks for the review!
Old 15th May 2012, 20:02   #4641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Sounds like my type of cinema. Is it a English movie? Cast? I dont see this movie playing in theatres in Hyderabad. If it releases here, will certainly watch it.

Thanks for the review!
Yes most of it is English. Indian yuppie English though...."come on yaar"..."the bugger can drink" etc. It's got Javed Jaffrey, Nandana Sen and the dude who scoops out childrens' eyes in Slumdog Millionaire.
Old 15th May 2012, 22:05   #4642
Senior - BHPian

watched two movies back to back.
1. 21 Jump Street : What a waste of time. I liked the series very much then. But movie is horrible and reviewers and critics gave a huge thumps up to this movie.

2. Get the Gringo : Mel Gibson starer, Its a great movie. Mel Gibson returns with abang after a long time. I have only one question " Why this was not released theatrically"
Every set pieces are the way it should be, completely fitting. A must watch

My advice: Don't believe the critics and reviewers,
Bollywood copying Hollywood movies and their reviewers copying shameless Indian reviewers.
Old 18th May 2012, 04:58   #4643
BHPian

The Dictator

Saw this movie yesterday. Kind of liked it. Making fun of democracy.

Lots of comedy, but some scenes are gross.

If you want to laugh for 1.5 hours, this is the one. But not a family movie though.

I'll give 3/5.
Old 18th May 2012, 15:26   #4644
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if these are covered here:

Lorenso's Oil:

Lorenzo's Oil (1992) - IMDb

Old movie. Story of a boy who gets a rare disease, no cure, his parents, Nick Nolte and Susan Sarrandon, decided to take the establishment head on and find a cure. Little slow at times, but awesome acting, after the first 15 minutes, you'd be drawn in. Was nominated for 2 Academy awards, happens to be a true story:

Lorenzo's Oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4.5 / 5

Pay it forward:

Pay It Forward (2000) - IMDb

Gripping story of a boy attempting to change the word, inspired by his teacher. A touching ending, awesome acting by Kevin Spacey & Helen Hunt, you would be affected, I was...

5/5

--Ramky
===========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 18th May 2012 at 15:51.
Old 18th May 2012, 15:32   #4645
BHPian

Saw Old Dogs on TV yesterday. Promised of a great cast: Robin Williams, John Travolta, Kelly Preston.
Was a bit boring movie though - two marketing gurus, ending up taking care of 7-yr old twins for a couple of weeks.
Animal jokes were better than Housefull 2 though
Rating: 2.5/5
Old 18th May 2012, 22:59   #4646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
The Dictator

Saw this movie yesterday. Kind of liked it. Making fun of democracy.

Lots of comedy, but some scenes are gross.

If you want to laugh for 1.5 hours, this is the one. But not a family movie though.

I'll give 3/5.
As a petrolhead, i liked the joke about Porsche 911 very much.
Old 19th May 2012, 18:14   #4647
Senior - BHPian

Watched American Pie Reunion yesterday...Another sequel of our Fav College Movie.
If you liked Earlier A.P's you will like this one too.Would Rate it
3.5/5
Old 20th May 2012, 10:34   #4648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Watched "The Forest" yesterday. It's a tight thriller about a couple holidaying in a (North Indian) national park and realise that there's a man eating leopard wreaking havoc in the area.
Hey, did you watch Kaal, the 2005 Bollywood film with Ajay Devgan (or Vishal Veeru Devgan, if that's what you call him), Vivek Oberoi, and John Abraham? That's the Bollywood version of a group going to a forest, realizing that there's a man-eating tiger except... (the Bollywood twist) that it isn't a man-eating tiger but instead a ghost killing members of their group one at a time.

If you like films of this kind, perhaps you ought to watch Lake Placid and Anaconda too. Both are quite popular so most people on this thread have probably already watched them.
Old 21st May 2012, 13:53   #4649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Hey, did you watch Kaal, the 2005 Bollywood film with Ajay Devgan (or Vishal Veeru Devgan, if that's what you call him), Vivek Oberoi, and John Abraham? That's the Bollywood version of a group going to a forest, realizing that there's a man-eating tiger except... (the Bollywood twist) that it isn't a man-eating tiger but instead a ghost killing members of their group one at a time.

If you like films of this kind, perhaps you ought to watch Lake Placid and Anaconda too. Both are quite popular so most people on this thread have probably already watched them.
Hey Nitin,

Yes I did watch Kaal and Anaconda (both at the cinema) and Lake Placid on TV. The Forest is very different from Kaal. While the latter was a full fledged and gimmicky Bollywood film (with horrible acting), The Forest seems to be inspired by Jim Corbett's 'Man eating leopard of Rudraprayag' and even has a conservation message at the end.

I would also recommend the followingMan Vs Animals films:
  • Burning Bright
  • The Grey
  • Grizzly Man (Documentary)
  • The Ghost and the Darkness
  • Frozen
  • Savage Harvest
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf
Old 21st May 2012, 14:04   #4650
Distinguished - BHPian

1. Contagion:

Matt damon and gyneth paltrow star in a semi realistic movie about the outbreak of a global epidemic, and the panic and the cure.
Semi realsitic, yes, but overall kind of lets you know that there will be no zombies, and there will be no overnight wipeout....

Dont watch with expectation of walking dead, or big fights in saving humankind.
peaople just riot, and victims just die

Overall : 3/5

2. Seeking Justice

Nicolas cage is back, still trying to somehow fit longish hair into the scheme of things.
Wish he'd stuck to the faceoff days.
The movie is about a group of people who take you in, when you have had some crime committed against you/people you know, and address it "out of court".
catch being, you are now part of the same group and may be called upon to do the same for someone else.
Really nice!

Guy Pearce is really good as Simon, the villain and Nicolas cage is always good to watch on the screen.

overall : 4.5/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks