Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 17:25   #4831
Senior - BHPian

re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched Anonymous a few days back. Its based on the theory that Shakespeare's play are not written by him. A gripping period tale.

Ratings: 3.5/5

Also watched The Cold Light of Day. Thought both Sigourney Weaver and Bruce Willis were wasted in the movie. But definitely a one time watch.

Rating: 3/5

Act of Valor

One of the best action movies ever seen especially considering the sequences. Captures the battles of US Navy Seals.

Must watch.

Rating:4/5
Old 11th September 2012, 17:28   #4832
Senior - BHPian

Watched Christian Bale starring The flowers of War this weekend. What an awesome movie, somewhat on the lines of Life is Beautiful. A must watch for WW II connoisseurs. This film is directed by the great Zhang Yimou who is like creme-de-la-creme of the directors alive today. I'd highly recommend his other works as well.

Rating: I consider serious WW II movies beyond any ratings.

Another great movie that I watched recently was The way back. This is about few WW II prisoners from a russian camp who escape and then trek 4000 miles from Siberia to India. Stunning visuals and acting in this film. Totally must watch.

Last edited by joslicx : 11th September 2012 at 17:30.
Old 11th September 2012, 18:36   #4833
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Recently watched To Rome with Love.
Excellent film
Well worth watching in my opinion
Old 11th September 2012, 18:52   #4834
BHPian

The Illusionist (06) :
A magician tries to fool the society. Kinda predictable and slow overall, but a decent watch if you're a Edward Norton fan.
3/5

Room in Rome:
Another attempt to try and pass erotica as art, not good enough. Some very good stills as they attempt to base the scenes on Roman mythology. Must watch for guys though
3/5
Old 11th September 2012, 23:12   #4835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
"The Dark Knight Rises"

Found the end to be apt in terms of story telling, granduer and action all finely interwined to bring it to a commendable climax and end to this trilogy.

As many rightly said, Batman was shown almost like a human without any superpowers and for once the villian ( Bane) was shown more powerful.

Saw this in IMAX screen and some of the scenes shot in IMAX format was mindblowing and worth the expensive ticket price ( Rs.250)

Anne Hathway nicely filled in the catwoman suit and was decent in action sequence but, nothing to say about her emoting capabilities.

Overall, it is a must watch for Batman and Nolan fans.

P.S: Does anyone like me think there is a 4th edition in store especially from the last few minutes footage?

4/5
I agree with the rating, and it must be seen only on IMAX screen to enjoy it fully. I loved those beautiful shots of Manhattan (Gotham City in the movie).

It was the best Batman movie so far.
Old 12th September 2012, 00:21   #4836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
Room in Rome:
Another attempt to try and pass erotica as art, not good enough. Some very good stills as they attempt to base the scenes on Roman mythology. Must watch for guys though
3/5
Ha ha.. Yes. And the whole film is done in one room and a single street. Just 3 actors. No costume expense etc. Oops.
Old 12th September 2012, 09:51   #4837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
The Illusionist (06) :
A magician tries to fool the society. Kinda predictable and slow overall, but a decent watch if you're a Edward Norton fan.
3/5
Since you watched the Illusionist, do watch "The Prestige". Its by Christopher Nolan and is about a war between two magicians. I would rate Prestige 5/5.
Old 12th September 2012, 15:45   #4838
BHPian

Quote:
"The Prestige".
Of course I've seen it sir. It's like a must watch for movie buffs.

Saw Powder Blue last night. Really enjoyed it. Although the end was a little filmy, the overall screen play was great.
3.5/5
Old 12th September 2012, 20:17   #4839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Watched Christian Bale starring The flowers of War this weekend. What an awesome movie, somewhat on the lines of Life is Beautiful. A must watch for WW II connoisseurs. This film is directed by the great Zhang Yimou who is like creme-de-la-creme of the directors alive today. I'd highly recommend his other works as well.

Another great movie that I watched recently was The way back. This is about few WW II prisoners from a russian camp who escape and then trek 4000 miles from Siberia to India. Stunning visuals and acting in this film. Totally must watch.
Nice! Fan of WWII movies and love stuff like Thin Red Line etc. Will be checking out these two movies.
Old 12th September 2012, 20:21   #4840
BHPian

Limelight. A Charlie Chaplin movie. Not least like his usual stuff. I think it is what "Mera Naam Joker" was loosely based on. Fantastic acting and storyline. One of the best I have ever seen. A must for everyone.
Old 12th September 2012, 21:54   #4841
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH
The Illusionist (06) :
3/5

Room in Rome:
3/5
Illusionist was lovely indeed. I am fond of Edward Norton.
Jessica Biel did a good job in this film in my opinion.
Their portrayal of 'yearning' in the face of a disapproving society was truly heartwrenching.
Old 12th September 2012, 22:41   #4842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Nice! Fan of WWII movies and love stuff like Thin Red Line etc. Will be checking out these two movies.
If you like WW based films you can check these ones out as well

Defiance - based on a true story and on the lines of Schindler's list. A guy saves hundreds of jews from Germans.

Tora Tora Tora - one of the classics. based on the japanese attack on pearl harbor.

The Reader - Kate Winslet in the role of a lifetime.

Das Boot - A very very long movie (I think the original print is about 5 hours long).

Guns of Navarone - Need I write anything about this one!

Europa Europa - about a jewish boy who lives among russians and then germans!

Letters from Iwo Jima - I saw this one in US with three other friends and it was just us in the theater!!! But what a movie it is!
Old 12th September 2012, 22:51   #4843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx

If you like WW based films you can check these ones out------------------ snip------------------ S with three other friends and it was just us in the theater!!! But what a movie it is!
Have you seen max manus?
If you can get hold of proper srts, it's an awesome rendition of ww2
Old 13th September 2012, 12:06   #4844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Since you watched the Illusionist, do watch "The Prestige". Its by Christopher Nolan and is about a war between two magicians. I would rate Prestige 5/5.
Dude, all Nolan's works are 6/5
Memento
Insomnia
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight
Inception
The Dark Knight Rises

Of the lot, my favorite is Memento.
Old 13th September 2012, 14:07   #4845
Senior - BHPian

I celebrated Thriller/Espionage Movie Day yesterday and watched the following:

Headhunter: It is a Norwegian movie about an acclaimed headhunter who also moonlights as an art thief. The movie takes a curious turn when one of his prospective candidate is revealed to have a rare Ruben's painting. I liked the acting and the storyline.

Rating 3.5/5

Farewell: This is a French film in French, Russian and English language. Its a true story about a French Engineer based in Moscow who handles a mole in KGB. The actions of the mole are supposed to be one of the major reason for the eventual collapse of USSR. I really liked the movie.

Rating 3.5/5

Page Eight: An interesting spy thriller about MI5 and one of its intelligence analysts. A must watch too.

Rating:4/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks