Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2013, 09:43   #5191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

Thank you!!

But, hey, it's 930 in the morn on Friday. Where and how did you catch it??
Thursday night - premier show.
Old 24th June 2013, 21:58   #5192
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

World War Z

I was so looking forward to this movie but got disappointment instead. There are some moments in the movie which are really intense and nerve wrecking, but overall it's a dud. Story has so much potential but the character build up is not upto the mark. I think they limited themselves by not having any gory scenes to attract non-zombie fans also, which kinds defeats the purpose of the movie.

Overall 3/5. One time watch.
Old 26th June 2013, 13:27   #5193
Distinguished - BHPian

The bunker(1981)

As you can surmise, it's about Hitler's bunker. Based on a book which chronicles his least days at the bunker with accounts from survivors from there, this is an epic watch for ww2 followers.
There is slight deviation from the book for artistic license, but wow!
Anthony Hopkins plays Hitler, and is absolutely brilliant.
All of must have heard Hitler's speeches in German, and the violent body language. Hopkins replicates this perfectly, although there is just one instance of it before the credits at the end.
It's mostly centred around his slow decline,and his scorched earth plans, and Speer's slow disillusionment.
Most of it is between Hitler and Speer, with Goebbels, Guderian and others thrown.
I feel bad for not having seen this before.
Old 2nd July 2013, 01:48   #5194
Senior - BHPian

Watched some oldies...
Gaslight - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036855/?ref_=sr_1
Dirty Harry - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066999/?ref_=sr_1
Schindler's list (Have watched last year, but still worth mentioning) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108052/?ref_=sr_1
Manchurian Candidate - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056218/?ref_=sr_2
A word of caution, though is that, DO NOT watch the newer one (2004) starring Denzel Washington, which is quite crap compared to the old one
Last but not the least - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046912/ - A super fantastic movie & plot
Old 7th July 2013, 22:29   #5195
BHPian

Despicable Me 2-

A laugh riot all the way till the end! The Minions get more screen time and they are as awesome as in the first part. Though the story is pretty cliched, it keeps you glued to the screen. 5/5 just because of the Minions .

P.S. Don't miss the end credits
Old 7th July 2013, 22:52   #5196
Senior - BHPian

Watched Killing them softly, Not my kind of movie, I was bored and went to sleep while watching movie.
Old 9th July 2013, 12:25   #5197
Senior - BHPian

Man of steel - 2/5

Even though the action sequences are good, its all too chaotic, loud, noisy, (all adjectives one can use to describe the menace). I had severe headache at the end of the movie.

All of us burst out laughing when Superman just breaks the neck of General Zod to kill him, after flying through high-rise glass covered buildings, huge trucks, factories and what not. The end of Zod could/should have been more thrilling. Also, I think the lady-love of Superman gets infected by his super powers to an extent. She is present at all locations wherever superman goes, in few seconds.

All in all, an OK movie.
Old 9th July 2013, 16:42   #5198
Senior - BHPian

Watched Evil Dead (2013) yesterday. Evil Dead, the original, has a cult following and for them this movie doesn't disappoint - which in itself says a lot about it. The critics haven't been too harsh on this movie either.

Whoever likes gory, scary, edge of the seat horrors this one's a good watch.
Old 9th July 2013, 17:29   #5199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Watched Evil Dead (2013) yesterday. Evil Dead, the original, has a cult following and for them this movie doesn't disappoint - which in itself says a lot about it. The critics haven't been too harsh on this movie either.

Whoever likes gory, scary, edge of the seat horrors this one's a good watch.
On the contrary, I found it absolutely idiotic.
P.s. I enjoy gory/scary movies.

Despicable Me 2 : 5/5

What's not to like in this movie - it's got more of minions, a truckload of minions; and did I mention - the minions are the focus of this movie?

A definite watch!
Old 9th July 2013, 21:53   #5200
Senior - BHPian

Watched Man on Fire (2004), Excellent movie and all the characters did justice to their respective roles. Denzel Washington, what to say about the man, superB!
Old 10th July 2013, 02:31   #5201
Senior - BHPian

Watched a couple of Movies in last few days

A Good Day to Die Hard

This is the 5th movie in the Die Hard Franchise. While the previous one involved John Mclane's daughter, this one involves his Son. Typical Die Hard movie so fans of this series wont be disappointed. Bruce Wills still rocks in this role.

4/5

The Call

This movie is about a 911 operator(Halle Berry) who recognizes the Assailants voice from a previous 911 call where the operator could not save the victim & feels guilty for that. This time she wants to make sure that the culprit is caught & manages to engage the victim for longer period so that the Police can catch him. The rest is an interesting tale of the chase & the background of the assailant & how the operator gets more involved to succeed. Decent thriller & its always a pleasure to watch Halle Berry

4/5

The Last Stand

I don't why Arnie is fixated with Last earlier it was Last action hero & now its Last Stand. Nothing great, Arnie is a small town Sheriff to live peaceful life after doing a stint LAPD Narcotics where he saw too much action. A Drug Cartel Boss escapes from police custody & must pass through Arnie's village to cross over to Mexico.
Decent watch, though nothing great about it.

2.5/5
Old 10th July 2013, 21:00   #5202
vsh
BHPian

Amazing before and after images of the visual effects in "The great gatsby"- have a look -
Old 11th July 2013, 06:46   #5203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Man Of Steel - summary in one word = Disappointed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
World War Z

...disappointment ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Man of steel - chaotic, loud, noisy,...
I think both the movies were total DUD. I watched Man of Steel in IMAX; Imagine the amount of sliding/crashing and travelling through walls. I am not sure if Superman has to fight in that fashion all the time. This makes me like BATMAN more as a superhero character (the guy with no super powers ). Even Spiderman must not be throwing that many webs at his enemies.

World War Z : People were giggling at some of the Zombies and I was too.Not sure if that was the intent.
Old 15th July 2013, 15:08   #5204
BHPian

Pacific Rim: 4.5/5

If there ever was a movie that deserves to be watched on a big-screen, it is Pacific Rim.

People said it is like Transformers vs Godzilla. Hell No. It is way more epic, the human piloted mechas (robots) are the size of skyscrapers, and the fight sequences remind me of all the Cartoon Network 'Power Zone' Japanese Anime is used to watch as a kid.

Honestly, this movie is what a summer blockbuster should be about... FUN

It has ham-fisted acting, plot holes, and some irritating human characters. But you honestly do not care when you see a 25-storied robot walking through the streets of Hong Kong dragging a Ship to be used as a baseball bat to smash in the monsters head.

Verdict: As a piece of rollicking fun, PACIFIC RIM is my movie of the year. Definitely watch it to bring out your inner 10-year old, or indeed, do please take your 10-year old with you
Old 15th July 2013, 16:00   #5205
Senior - BHPian

Jack Reacher : 4/5

One of the best movies of Tom Cruise.

It is about investigation of multiple homicide by an ex-army person and the investigator (tom) uncovering the truth. Always will keep you on the edge. Good Hand to Hand combat too. Great Cinematography.

Worth a watch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks