Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2013, 04:28   #5206
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Pacific Rim: 4.5/5

If there ever was a movie that deserves to be watched on a big-screen, it is Pacific Rim...
Spot on Review. Don't go on trailer, if you feel this is going to be gimicky robot movie (which is what I thought when I first saw the preview). After learning that it is from Del toro, I was confident it will have a good story. His other creations are awesome too (Pans labyrinth,hellboy,Cronos )

The first time I saw a kaiju, it reminded me of "Giant Robot".The fight sequences are awesome and nicely executed.

Go watch this movie and have fun.

Waiting for his next "Pinocchio"
Old 16th July 2013, 18:25   #5207
BHPian

Jack Reacher : 4/5

I too just watched this recently, and I wasn't expecting to like it, but it is actually one of the better movies I have seen.

I Am Number 4 : 2.5/5

Decent alien flick, aliens who look like humans but have super powers, and are being hunted by another humanoid alien race in the quest for domination of the planet/universe. Nothing really noteworthy though, it's got a bit of this and that from other sci-fi movies.
Old 19th July 2013, 17:55   #5208
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Bigflix has become useless. After nearly 3 years, I finally stopped my Bigflix membership & joined showtimevideo (this is a Bombay only chain I think) a week back.
Showtime Video was decent. However a few months back, they moved from a stored based delivery system to a central delivery system and from then the service has gone to the dogs. It's difficult to get them on the phone - there is no way to request a movie via web, unless you currently have one to return. And they deliver just 2 days a week. And usually they don't have the movie you want (it's always in circulation - even the old ones).

Are they are any good DVD rental services (with home delivery) in Bombay anymore?
Old 19th July 2013, 18:10   #5209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Pacific Rim: 4.5/5

If there ever was a movie that deserves to be watched on a big-screen, it is Pacific Rim.
Can't wait to watch this one on the big screen! Missed it last weekend since I was going to embark on a long drive and had stuff to take care of. Gonna watch this movie first thing when I'm back in Bangalore
Old 19th July 2013, 20:10   #5210
Senior - BHPian

Pacific Rim:

Typical monster machines vs aliens story line. Action action and more action. Even though the story line is done to death, the movie is well paced and does not leave the viewer bored at any point of time. On some occasions, actions are a so complex that it leaves the person confused. This movie has a lackluster story line, but it offers brilliant visuals. This movie deserves a watch in the full screen with 3D for sure.

I am giving this movie a good 3.5/5.
Old 19th July 2013, 22:10   #5211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Last but not the least - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046912/ - A super fantastic movie & plot
This movie is it worth watching? I don't trust IMDB reviews, the are mostly worthless. And I don't like watching crappy prints too! The story looks interesting but Is it presented the same way?
Old 19th July 2013, 22:23   #5212
BANNED

I recently watched a few English movies which I can recommend to you all. I have little idea of their vintage but will list them down for your indulgence;
American history X
The English Patient
The pursuit of happiness
The time traveller's wife
There will be blood

Al these movies make excellent viewing for the mildly serious audience. I hope I have saved you some searching. Hit it.
Old 19th July 2013, 22:30   #5213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I don't trust IMDB reviews, the are mostly worthless
Lol, IMDB reviews are worthless? ROTFL
Anyway, from your point of view, I can perfectly understand you're not into movies much, especially Hollywood. Dial M for Murder is one of the movies from a very respectable directors in the world, Alfred Hitchcock - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Hitchcock

And this movie is one of the very famous work.

If you like to have a good copy, then you can order from here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dial-M-for-M...item4611341078

Still can't believe you're saying this about Dial M for Murder Lol

Edit - If you don't like IMDB, then use the below alternatives
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dial_m_for_murder/
http://www.mrqe.com/movie_reviews/di...der-m100042638

Last edited by aargee : 19th July 2013 at 22:35.
Old 19th July 2013, 22:50   #5214
BANNED

Quote:
This movie is it worth watching? I don't trust IMDB reviews, the are mostly worthless. And I don't like watching crappy prints too! The story looks interesting but Is it presented the same way?
Was remade in Hindi as Aitbaar with Dimple & Raj Babbar.

Quote:
Lol, IMDB reviews are worthless? ROTFL

Edit - If you don't like IMDB, then use the below alternatives
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dial_m_for_murder/
http://www.mrqe.com/movie_reviews/di...der-m100042638
Who cares about reviews? One cannot like a movie just because the reviews are good.

Last edited by carboy : 19th July 2013 at 22:53.
Old 19th July 2013, 23:01   #5215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Was remade in Hindi as Aitbaar with Dimple & Raj Babbar.
Who cares about reviews? One cannot like a movie just because the reviews are good.
Thanks, Just was confirming that the movie is really good. i watched Killing them softly based on overhyped imdb review and I slept watching the movie! there were some other movies too, to speak alot! I watched Upstream Color based on Rottentomatos critics review and to say it was a horrible movie, what art does it involve to create them. BTW, liked some movies like 50 first dates, due date. Can you guys suggest most hilarious movies? I mean ROFLMA type movies.
Old 19th July 2013, 23:55   #5216
Senior - BHPian

Stoning of Soraiya M -

5/5

Will make your blood boil at the same time, make you wonder, did we develop a brain yet or goats have more IQ than us ?

Not a word of the story I will revel. The title says it all. Go watch it for yourself. Its an excellent movie.
Old 20th July 2013, 10:59   #5217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you guys suggest most hilarious movies? I mean ROFLMA type movies.
A few of them:

1. Robin Hood: Men in Tights; if you like some unusual humor.
2. Hot Shots : same as above
3. Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex (Woody Allen): Can't explain; go watch yourself!
4. Blazing saddles: still to catch.
Old 20th July 2013, 14:13   #5218
Senior - BHPian

Turbo (3D) - 4/5

Its rear that I rate 4 for an animation movie. The sole reason is the movie gets a bit slow in the middle. The concept, though far fetched, is well presented. The race is great and its fun in 3D.

"No dreams are too big and no dreamer is too small."
Old 20th July 2013, 14:57   #5219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Stoning of Soraiya M -
I saw this movie after reading your post and I am glad I spotted your post. I was not aware of this movie and the story behind it. I would definatley recommend this movie.

P.S. - This is movie is there on youtube with english subtitles.
Old 20th July 2013, 16:30   #5220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I mean ROFLMA type movies.
My Cousin Vinny
Meet the Parents
Meet the Fockers (Haven't watched Little Fockers)
Meet the Spartans
RV
The Pink Panther sequel
What About Bob
Problem Child
The Little Rascals
Dumb & Dumber
Austin Powers
Baby's Day Out
Anger Management

All said, there's nothing that can beat the following ever greens. If you haven't watched any of these, then you're not watching comedy movie at all
City Lights
The Idle Class
Sunnyside
The Gold Rush
The Kid
The Great Dictator
The Circus
Modern Times

I mostly like to get involved when watching movies (not watching for relaxation or time pass), so I'm not very much into watching humorous movies & hence the list of comedy movies I've watched are very less.

Quote:
I told since he asked & there're millions of people who care about reviews. The votings in the IMDB only indicate so many people liked, it doesn't mean we would like them too or does it guarantee everyone likes. For instance, I simply love Shawshank Redemption to the core & have watched over 100 times. I've come across people who're movie lovers, but don't like to watch Shawshank Redemption more than once. From their perspective, it doesn't mean IMDB is crap to have rated that movie so well.

Likewise, I liked God Father 1 & 3 better than 2, but, 2 has a good rating. I only take that, I'm not into the crowd of people who worship God Father 2.

Last edited by aargee : 20th July 2013 at 16:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks