Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2013, 12:43   #5416
Team-BHP Support

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baludharmarajan View Post
I have seen Captain Philips and I think its great movie. Any one else seen it.
Excellent movie it is. More than Hanks (who is already an acclaimed and established actor) himself, I loved the guy who played the role of the pirate leader. Some of those intense moments were done so well especially with his broken Somali English. Some of the quotes from the movie:

Muse: “Captain, relax. Nobody get hurt. No Al Qaeda here. We just want money. It’s business.”

Capt. Richard Phillips: "The Navy is not going to let you win. They would rather sink this boat."
Muse: "I come too far. I can't give up."

This one was hilarious:

Muse: “Thirty thousand dollars? What am I? Do I look like a beggar?”

Looking forth for Prisoners. Heard some good things about it.
Old 21st November 2013, 20:20   #5417
Senior - BHPian

Any reviews on Tears of Kali (2004) and Zero Killed (2012)? Liked the trailer of Tears of Kali, looks like extreme horror/torture affair.
Old 23rd November 2013, 20:00   #5418
Senior - BHPian

The Internship

Light hearted fun movie. A good one time watch. Though sometimes it feels its an advertisement for Google.
Rating -7/10

This is the End
Really liked it. Every star is playing himself in the movie. Story is kinda weak but the dialogues are funny. Do watch it.
Rating -8.5/10

The worlds End
Was disappointed. Only watched it cos of Simon pegg but its no where fun like Hot fuzz.
Can be easily avoided.
Rating- 5/10

Prisoners
This is a dark movie. Hugh jackman is extremely good. Jake Gyllenhaal is in a different role than his previous films. Must watch if you like slow crime thrillers. The way they had shown how far a father will go for his child is quiet believable.
Rating-9/10
Old 23rd November 2013, 22:41   #5419
Senior - BHPian

Watched Gravity on a regular screen with 3D yesterday, and loved the movie. Who said it is slow-paced? The visuals were marvelous and the plot very interesting. For a moment, i got reminded on a trailer in the early 80s for Aliens which said 'In space, no one can hear you scream'!

I was surprised to see sub-titles in English in the movie, though they were not too clear with the 3D glasses. Is this a new trend? Perhaps they are keeping in mind that many movie-goes might not understand US accent.
Old 23rd November 2013, 23:22   #5420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Watched Gravity on a regular screen with 3D yesterday, and loved the movie.
I was surprised to see sub-titles in English in the movie, though they were not too clear with the 3D glasses. Is this a new trend? Perhaps they are keeping in mind that many movie-goes might not understand US accent.
Not sure if it is across all movies. I saw Gravity at two different theatres, and the subtitles were there in both. I have also seen Thor: TDW in 3D which had subtitles. Captain Philips, Escape Plan (in 2D) did not have subtitles in them. Strange, could it be for 3D movies. Because I do not want to spoil the visuals with subtitles.

It's ok if we do not understand ALL the dialogue, we can always see it when the movie releases on DVD.
Old 25th November 2013, 00:00   #5421
BHPian

Just saw Last Vegas. Its a nicely directed film with good performances by the lead cast. Its a light hearted comedy and will appeal to mature audiences.

Will recommended it.

Rating- 4/5
Old 25th November 2013, 22:30   #5422
Senior - BHPian

Watched Following movies over weekend

Hangover 3

What a disappointment, first things first nobody gets a hangover in this movie so it does not belong in this series. On its own its decent watch but no where compared to the first two. Luckily this was the last in series, they probably realized that they cant make it any better.

2.5/5

Pacific Rim

Again first things first, the story is not great & has loop holes, some scenes you will keep wondering why did they do X instead of Y. However at the end its an awesome movie with some great special effects & fight sequences. A must watch, poor story not withstanding.

4/5
Old 26th November 2013, 15:04   #5423
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " Last Vegas" last weekend starring Robert DeNiro, Michael Douglas, Kevin Kline and Morgan Freeman

This movie is not a copy or has any similarity to "Hangover". Guys want to have a ball in Vegas and similarities end just there. This story is about childhood friends now oldies (70+) how they all gang up and decide to have one last party at Vegas to celebrate one of their friends marrying a woman half his age

This movie is full of adjectives. Witty, Funny, Gaggy, Amazing and most importantly very endearing.

We both loved watching this movie and is a must watch.

4/5
Old 29th November 2013, 23:18   #5424
BHPian

Watching "The Human Centipede" now.
35 minutes in ( another 53 to go ).

I can already tell - this is going to top the list of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen.

I don't know how to rate such movies.

Ace.
Old 29th November 2013, 23:33   #5425
Team-BHP Support

Watched Prisoners the other day. Fantastic thriller! Dark and a very good plot to go along with it. 2 hours and 35 minutes but not a second felt boring. The last 30 minutes - edge of the seat stuff.

9/10
Old 2nd December 2013, 09:51   #5426
Senior - BHPian

If you are a blues music buff there are a couple of must watch movies.
Crossroads (1986) inspired by the legendary Robert Johnson - has some truly mind blowing music if you are into that kind of stuff.
Honeydripper (2007) - also has some wonderful blues music and is an entertaining film.
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:08   #5427
Senior - BHPian

Watched Gravity in 3D after so many folks said they liked it. But I found it to be very boring. The story is weak plus Sandra Bullock is not at her best in this movie. The visuals are Ok but nothing spectacular. One can definitely give this movie a miss, thank god we did not spend money to watch in Imax. To that extent I thought the earlier Apollo 13 (similar kind of scenario)was slightly better off.
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:20   #5428
BHPian

Saw Frozen on Sunday. 7/10.

Decent one time watch. Almost like a musical. Should be good for kids too.
Old 2nd December 2013, 14:20   #5429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Watched Gravity in 3D after so many folks said they liked it. But I found it to be very boring. The story is weak plus Sandra Bullock is not at her best in this movie. The visuals are Ok but nothing spectacular. One can definitely give this movie a miss, thank god we did not spend money to watch in Imax. To that extent I thought the earlier Apollo 13 (similar kind of scenario)was slightly better off.
Are you kidding me? Gravity was one of the best movies of the decade. It was meant to be watched in 3D. ThankGod I did not miss it, and here you are saying one can miss it. I understand that you may not be a space-fan, but even normal people liked the movie.
In the end liking or not liking depends upon individual perspective. Im shocked anyways.
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:07   #5430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post

Are you kidding me? Gravity was one of the best movies of the decade. It was meant to be watched in 3D. ThankGod I did not miss it, and here you are saying one can miss it. I understand that you may not be a space-fan, but even normal people liked the movie.
In the end liking or not liking depends upon individual perspective. Im shocked anyways.
To Be frank even I didn't enjoy the movie that much. Somehow the lead pair failed to connect with me and that survival instinct didn't show up that well as in Some other movies such as 128 hours. The visuals were great but then you kind of expected that knowing that it was a story about space.

Most Viewed