Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2014, 11:13   #5611
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched 'The Man from Earth' last weekend. Though late to the party, but excellent watch. Amazing concept and despite the movie mostly shot in one room, keeps the audience on the edge of the seat by way of its beautifully crafted (& intelligent) dialogues. My rating for the movie - 5/5

Would like to share one more good movie which I remember watching 3 years ago - K-Pax. Its the kind of movie which will keep you thinking about it even after 4-5 days! Kevin Spacey is simply amazing in the movie, where he claims to be from another planet! Great watch. My rating 5/5
Old 12th May 2014, 18:32   #5612
Senior - BHPian

Jack Ryan : Shadow Recruit.
Another movie with a CIA operations and saving US plot. Good one time watch. Could have been better.
Rating- 3/5
Old 16th May 2014, 22:37   #5613
Team-BHP Support

Godzilla - 4.5/5

Brilliant! Amazing sfx and creature design. If you liked Pacific Rim, you will love this one. We watched it in regular 3D, I am sure IMAX viewers would have an even pleasurable experience. The story is not what you would expect from a typical creature movie.
Old 16th May 2014, 23:06   #5614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Jack Ryan : Shadow Recruit.
Another movie with a CIA operations and saving US plot. Good one time watch. Could have been better.
Rating- 3/5
Agree.
Especially the "10 minutes".
I don't know what they did, but it was truly edge of the seat.
Old 16th May 2014, 23:07   #5615
Senior - BHPian

Godzilla -
One word, Disappointed. Previous one was much much better. The biggest drawback is acting which lead actor couldn't do. Also story line was much better in previous one. 3d is a complete waste. I was actually bored in some scenes. First half is a drag, second is bearable. In my honest opinion chuck this and watch previous Godzilla again :P
Rating - 2.5/5
Old 17th May 2014, 01:05   #5616
BHPian

Watched "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" a couple of days ago.

A very good flick with lot of action and the entire cast did a great job.

Next up:
1. 10 Rules for Sleeping Around
2. Alpha House
Old 17th May 2014, 22:24   #5617
BHPian

Godzilla - 2/10

Absolutely useless! What a waste of time, money, popcorn, and a Saturday evening.

Sticking to the rules of team-bhp, I will not reveal the plot. But if we start discussing loopholes, irregularities and useless scenes/motives/plots in the movie, it will be the middle of next year and I still won't be done.

Movie makers, here's a Top Gear top tip. Not every one can re-invent a character like Nolan did for Batman. Sometimes it's a lot easier to stick to the tried and tested formula, that has worked well in the past. All people expect is that it should be tweaked. Not thrown out and some new formula, that no one likes, written in its place. Ugh. Totally irritated.
Old 18th May 2014, 06:24   #5618
Distinguished - BHPian

Godzilla - 3.5/5

Interesting story, nice use of good actors and some really slick cinematographics! What I really liked was how the movie revolves around sound acting by such as Ken Watanbe, Bryan Cranston (his normal shouting, cribbing mode), but the story is never focussed on them for too long. The focus is on the monster!

Definitely worth a watch! Go with an open mind wrt to older Godzilla movies, and not much expectations and you won't be displeased. Also please please watch it in a good 3D theatre, more than 50% of the movie is the night, and average 3D experience is only going to spoil it!

A quote from the movie, which has to be the best quote of the year : The arrogance of man is thinking that nature is in their control and not the other way around! Touche!
Old 18th May 2014, 08:01   #5619
Distinguished - BHPian

Wathced Godzilla last night. Many of my colleagues told me to strictly avoid it but the review on this thread had been good ( till yesterday) and I trusted them. Also the trailers looked good. In hindsight should have listened to the colleagues.

Rating: 1/5

Absolutely nonsense crap. Probably the only english movie till date that I wanted to leave in between and go. I didn't not find anything remotely interesting in the movie. It made literally no sense and probably our desi bollywood could have made a better one if given a chance. Please Avoid.
Old 20th May 2014, 02:51   #5620
BHPian

Murph The Protector:

This is a documentary on the life of Mike Murphy, one of the SEALS who died during a gunfight in Afghanistan. His character is also portrayed in the movie "Lone Survivor".

A well shot and moving documentary. Which got me thinking, why dont we make similar movies in honor of our martyrs like Capt Vikram Batra and hundreds of others who have sacrificed their lives for us??
Old 20th May 2014, 10:35   #5621
BHPian

Godzilla

First things first, I did not read the reviews here and then went to watch this and I would say I expected more but hey, its any day-better than most of our Bollywood songs and dance routine.

What also helps is that I am a fan of this genre

As the movie is almost 75% in the dark, please choose your theaters wisely. A bad 3D screen is enough to ruin it. You can watch it in 2D as well.

Watched it in IMAX and my rating would be 4/5.

Loved the cinematography and background score. The performances of Ken Watande and Bryan Crantson are worth mentioning. It is a very interesting take on the original Godzilla story and still almost nothing like it.Absolutely loved the idea and it was good to see them not copying the original movie.

Godzilla is held tantalizingly held back (like the original) and when he appears all hell breaks loose! Though would have loved a bit more action in the first half. The human characters expect a couple were the weak links in the movie and I expect a far better script for the next edition of this thing.

They have left it tantalizingly open for a sequel which is what I would love to watch. The foundation laid is solid!

An absolute go, if you ask me!

Last edited by pratyush6 : 20th May 2014 at 10:57.
Old 23rd May 2014, 23:58   #5622
BHPian

X-Men : Days of Future Past - 8/10

Excellent movie. Days of future past is an absolute blast. Must watch for admirers of the franchise.

Everyone has a decent role in the movie. Though there are plenty of loop holes that an avid viewer can notice and argue about, overall it's a thorough entertainer.

Please stay till the end credits roll. Do not miss the post credit scene
Old 24th May 2014, 00:30   #5623
Distinguished - BHPian

X-Men : Days of Future Past
Rating: 4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post

Shit. I knew it.
Old 26th May 2014, 13:51   #5624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Dammit! I know all X-Men movies save that last important scene for the credits, but we (wife and me) concluded after the first couple of minutes that this movie probably didn't have one. Aaarrrrgggghhhh. It didn't help that it was a late night show and we were a bit sleepy...
We watched it in 3D and it was a lovely experience. I am sure it would be mind blowing to watch at a dome theatre...

EDIT: Ah well I didn't miss much. I am not a rabid fan of the X-Men franchise, so I wouldn't have understood the significance of the scene anyway. For the interested, this should help.

Last edited by TheLizardKing : 26th May 2014 at 14:04.
Old 26th May 2014, 14:01   #5625
Senior - BHPian

X men first class was my favourite movie in the franchisee till date. Days of Future past beats it for me.
Though there are some plot holes and some unexplained points, however it retains what is essential in a Superhero movie: Entertainment.

There is loads of it and some wonderful touches, eg. the Quicksilver scene.

The movie also indicates that Mystique will have much more central role in the future movies within the franchise which has just ended up getting a complete reboot.

Yes wait till the very end!! There is a very important Post credit scene which will really excite the fans and followers of Xmen universe as to what to expect in the next iteration (However fans would already be aware of what is coming up next).

Thumbs up from me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks