Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2014, 03:54   #5776
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

The Fault In Our Stars - 5/5

As with all tragic stories this made me cry madly at some scenes.
But, let me tell you, I smiled all throughout the movie.

The last time I cried and smiled simultaneously, was Kal Ho Na Ho (with over the head SRK scenes, but it was good).

Coming back to this movie, I just fell in love with the leading lady. She was so differently pretty. And the leading hero, was superb - smart, cute and very matured kinda acting.

Overall, this movie has just touched my heart so much after a long long time of movie watching (Hindi and English). I guess Barfi had touched my heart too.

In anycase, please please do watch this movie. Its' a tragedy story, but will make you smile in each and every scene.

PS: Making the missus see this movie tonight. I am eager to watch it again, and cry again.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 25th October 2014 at 04:00. Reason: The rating deserves a straight 5.
Old 25th October 2014, 19:44   #5777
Senior - BHPian

Despicable Me 2
Almost as Good as the first one. Can watch it once more if it is telecast again.

Tall Man
Kidnapping(s) with a twist, very interesting drama.
Old 25th October 2014, 21:06   #5778
BHPian

The fault in our stars- 4/5

A very good movie. Heard a lot about the movie, many many appraisals from people, although somewhere the movie failed to connect with my heart deeply, it did brushed it up though. I had a smile with watery eyes throughout the second half, but I felt something was missing.
The cast was awesome. The lead actress will make you fall in love with her. The lead actor was also charming. Though I didn't like Hazel's mom at all. The way she talked was just annoying.
Overall a great movie to watch, will watch it again when I'll feel down, though not anytime soon.

Priest - 2.5
Watched this one a while ago in the hope of finding some religious matter (I love watching such movies), but found vampires instead. It's a one time watch. Nothing special.
Old 29th October 2014, 15:18   #5779
Senior - BHPian

The Judge
Amazing. Depressing at times, funny at others, this movie will definitely move you at times. Career best performance by Robert Downey Jr and Robert Duvall. I will be highly surprised if they don't get nominated for Oscars. In fact entire cast is superb. They could have shorten it a bit but then the character development would have suffered. Don't miss it if you like family dramas.

Rating - 4.5/5
Old 1st November 2014, 02:02   #5780
Distinguished - BHPian

Gone girl

Wow. What a movie. Really interesting story line and the movie just doesn't stop surprising you. Excellent story and acting by all leads.

Rating: 4/5.
Old 1st November 2014, 19:16   #5781
BHPian

Gone Girl

Yeah!! Go watch it.
Caught it up yesterday, the story (& screenplay) is intriguing .. the complexion of it keeps changing after every few acts!!
Its a 2.5 hr movies, still at the end of it you would want to see more (perhaps in the form of mid/end credit scene).

I would say 4.5/5.
Old 1st November 2014, 19:54   #5782
Senior - BHPian

The Shawshank Redemption

What a movie! I will call it a wonderful contribution to the world of cinema. My all time favorite movie. I have watched it over 20 times and yet I want to watch it again and again. And I am a NO movie buff!

IMO, this is the best movie ever made.

PS - Any recommendation for some inspirational movies? Like this one or Pursuit of Happyness which is equivalently great movie.

Last edited by bluevolt : 1st November 2014 at 19:57.
Old 1st November 2014, 22:07   #5783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
The Shawshank Redemption

What a movie! I will call it a wonderful contribution to the world of cinema. My all time favorite movie. I have watched it over 20 times and yet I want to watch it again and again. And I am a NO movie buff!

IMO, this is the best movie ever made.

PS - Any recommendation for some inspirational movies? Like this one or Pursuit of Happyness which is equivalently great movie.
The fastest Indian on the road
Seabiscuit
Life is beautiful
Old 2nd November 2014, 00:15   #5784
Senior - BHPian

Gravity : Literally a puller downer. Utter crap of a movie wonder what they spent the millions on.
Old 2nd November 2014, 00:31   #5785
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Gravity : Literally a puller downer. Utter crap of a movie wonder what they spent the millions on.
Well, they didn't use the millions to send someone to Mars, I'm sure.

I'm surprised though, that this is the first time I'm reading a negative review about it here. I recorded it for a later watch. No boom boom, I'd heard, in the flick. I suppose I'll keep it for later then.
Old 2nd November 2014, 00:48   #5786
Team-BHP Support

Gravity will not be enjoyable on a small screen. It's a big screen movie, and preferably 3D
Old 2nd November 2014, 01:15   #5787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Gravity will not be enjoyable on a small screen. It's a big screen movie, and preferably 3D
Seconded.
It's made for a cinema hall.
If it home the TV should at least be 55 inch with good home theater and pitch black darkness with no outside sound. Then you may enjoy it.
Old 2nd November 2014, 08:35   #5788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
My list of inspirational movies includes
- Men of honor
- World's fastest Indian
- The last samurai
- Schindler's list
- October sky
- Million dollar baby
- Empire of the sun
- The flowers of war
Old 2nd November 2014, 17:05   #5789
Senior - BHPian

My panel is off only by 5" and a 3D Panny Plasma from the VT series to boot but then just like there is no replacement for displacement a home set up can not replace a cinema hall.

After that saw (thanks to a life less weekend) a Nth rerun of "My Favourite Martian" starring Christopher LLoyd, Jeff Daniels & the Zoot, supported by Daryl Hannah, Wallace Shawn & Elizabeth Hurley and the enjoyment factor was Nth time raised to the power N

BTW recorded and saw Vicky Cristina Barcelona and throughly enjoyed the movie. Directed by Woody Allen, stars Rebecca Hall, Scarlett Johansson & Javier Bardem with Penelope Cruz. Rumour was Woody Allen made the movie specifically for Scarlett, who is/was considered as his muse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Seconded.
It's made for a cinema hall.
If it home the TV should at least be 55 inch with good home theater and pitch black darkness with no outside sound. Then you may enjoy it.
Old 3rd November 2014, 04:37   #5790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Now there's a first one for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I recorded it for a later watch. No boom boom, I'd heard, in the flick. I suppose I'll keep it for later then.
Atleast watch it on a as large screen as possible. And do watch it. Not a movie to be missed, this one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks