Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2014, 12:10   #5806
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

I saw Gone Girl yesterday. While I would recommend everyone to watch this one, for me this was a good movie but not an exceptional one. This is directed by David Fincher starring Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike. I liked few films by David Fincher like Seven, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and the Social Network (‘Fight club’ movie was quite weird though). So I did have high expectations from this movie.

It can be called a good thriller movie but there are some loopholes in the movie. The ending of the movie is a letdown – I know this is based on a novel and might have just copied the ending from the book but the movie could have been much better with a different ending. I am not sure about others but I found the editing in the initial part of the movie to be very bad – I was not able to hear the dialogues clearly (especially the conversations between the main two actors).

All in all, without any other movie options, this is worth watching once.

Last edited by Saanil : 5th November 2014 at 12:11.
Old 7th November 2014, 20:10   #5807
BHPian

Big Hero 6

Went out expecting tickets for Interstellar.. but full house, also expected!

Big Hero 6 saved the day. If I have to sum up in one word (err..two): REALLY NICE.
For all ages kinda movie. Even better for kids. Must watch if looking for light-hearted entertainment.

Last edited by Senna4Ever : 7th November 2014 at 20:13.
Old 7th November 2014, 21:35   #5808
BHPian

Did anyone watch Interstellar today? What is to be expected? Can I take my 7-year old son along? Is it suitable for kids? I have heard they have put PG13 advice in the US. Really excited about this movie!
Old 7th November 2014, 22:39   #5809
BHPian

Watched Interstellar today and went Wooooow... The story line, the screenplay, the background score - everything beautifully set up for the climax.

Watch it in IMAX if you can - I watched this at the normal PVR screens - which for some shitty reasons have subtitles - spoiled the experience a bit.

Completely suitable for kids - though you may need to explain them some fundoo scientific terms during the movie. I loved it particulary for this reason - how well has Nolan researched the topic. Mat. McConaughey lights up the screen unlike I have ever seen him; but the star of the show is clearly the director. You would come out the theaters a bit dazed from the visuals and pinching yourself at how well thought out this is.

Absolutely a must watch!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S.
The movie is based on science but it is about humanity and the characters will prove it. And Hans Zimmer, boy the magic that he creates with his scores is bloody brilliant. Nolan has revolutionized the genre in itself. I was blown away by Inception but this is something else.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 7th November 2014 at 22:57. Reason: Add Info
Old 7th November 2014, 22:41   #5810
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmum View Post
Did anyone watch Interstellar today? What is to be expected? Can I take my 7-year old son along? Is it suitable for kids? I have heard they have put PG13 advice in the US. Really excited about this movie!
Just finished watching it now. Overall a good movie 4/5. A bit deep though and if you are a sci-fi fan you will enjoy but if you are not a scifi fan, you may not like it. It is a movie in the league of "contact" / "gravity".
There is no vulgarity/ profanity ( there are only 2 mentions of a certain fword but nothing else apart from that) so not really anything to worry about pg13 rating.

Last edited by Behemoth : 7th November 2014 at 22:44.
Old 7th November 2014, 23:18   #5811
BHPian

There's quite a bit of negative reviews for Gravity and I can understand them. I saw the movie in iMax and was stunned by the audio-visual extravaganza. The 3D was relevant and was not exaggerated. The visual experience pulled the audience in the story and the entire experience was very immersive.

A couple of months later, I planned to rewatch it on my home theater and I shut it down just after the first 20 mins. Every one in my family was disappointed (and they had not seen the movie earlier).

Some movies are strong on plot, some on the theme and some on just the audio/visual wizardry. Gravity definitely belongs to the last category.
Old 8th November 2014, 02:11   #5812

Interstellar is a must watch. What a movie!
Loved the simplicity with which such a difficult concept has been presented. Hats off to Nolan. Must've researched the subject so throughly.
Old 8th November 2014, 06:54   #5813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmum View Post
Hello debmum, my reference had been IMDB parental guide page. Please refer http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/parentalguide for more info on Interstellar parental guide, Again this depends on the user giving feedback.
Old 8th November 2014, 07:44   #5814
BHPian

Interstellar.

Gripping, beautiful, thrilling, emotional, Wonderful.

There are so many extremely geeky, mind twisting concepts in the movie, so keep your mind open, and don't try to make sense of it all at once, like I did.

Visually, the movie is simply breathtaking. It's worth watching the movie just for the visuals alone.

And of course, with a Nolan movie comes a Hans Zimmer background score. Enough said.

Matthew McConaughey did a solid job, Anne Hathaway, not so much.

Overall, Nolan delivers with a slightly preposterous epic. But it is an epic none the less.

This is a must watch movie.

My rating - 4.5/5
Old 8th November 2014, 09:07   #5815
Team-BHP Support

Interstellar - 4.5/5

Nolan appears to have drawn a lot of inspiration from Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey but released in 1968, that movie was clearly ahead of its time! This has to be one of the best sci-fi movies I’ve watched in a long time. The connect between mankind and space fiction has been done so beautifully along with the background score. Cinematography was good, typical of Nolan’s movies but I think Gravity fared better in the space shots sequences.
Old 8th November 2014, 16:05   #5816
Distinguished - BHPian

Interstellar - Watched it yesterday and I must say that the story was just too random & chaotic. Dialogues were very wooden and Mathew McConaughey and his drawl just tends to make it sound a little more drawn out.

I guess Nolan was trying a little too much and in the end just made a mess of it. For a science buff, this movie is too much to digest and I wonder how Kip Thorne managed to overlook some very basic and obvious mistakes. Was expecting an epic like Inception which will stretch your imagination and keep you hanging till then end but this movie does not do that.

By Nolan's standards, this is just a mediocre movie.

Last edited by procrj : 8th November 2014 at 16:08.
Old 8th November 2014, 21:34   #5817
BHPian

Nightcrawler

No one is talking about it here yet, understandably so in the midst of the storm of Interstellar
(which was also our first choice, but for the tickets' availability).

Nightcrawler provides a great alternative.
Story about camera crews trying to capture raw footage of events (fire, theft, murder, accident, ... .. .)
happening during the night in the city of L.A. that they sell to highest bidders for local morning news.
Slowly but surely it shows the dark side of that kind of journalism as to how hogging the ratings happens to be concern of everyone involved.

Premise looks flimsy, but the way story pans out keeps you engaged all the way.
The star of the show, however, is Jake Gyllenhaal, whose character has his own ambitions and happens to join this world by chance.
He is a quick learner (as he himself reminds more than once during the course) and the progress he makes
while he crawls up the ladder night-by-night could provide some great management lessons on how to run a start-up .

The actor, with his customized mannerisms and portrayal, looks very likeable all the way as well as menacing as the story moves on.
The way he displays cunning calmness and ruthlessness in difficult scenes makes it one of his best acts.

I would put 4/5 for the movie.
That's possibly again because it doesn't look as grand as Interstellar, any other week this could well be a 4+ movie.
Old 9th November 2014, 13:02   #5818
BHPian

Thoroughly enjoyed Interstellar. Though some have not liked the climax, I think it was logical and the best climax for the story. Nolan has drawn a lot of inspiration from science, philosophy, spirituality. May offend some hard-core environmentalists. Man's solution to woes lie in tech and progress only, not in 'de-progress'! Many scientific theories are open to review time and again and they may be in for drastic alterations. As many people have pointed to scientific inaccuracies in the movie, but just for example, it may actually be possible to navigate a black hole very close to its edge, and as Stephen Hawking says, if a black hole is large enough to be the mass of a million suns, it may actually be possible for an individual to enter a black hole in one piece. After that what happens, humans don't know! It may be an endless pit, it may be the door to another universe, it may be a time warp where one can froth between different time zones, we don't know! But believe me, they are us only! We are our best helpers (and it is not a spoiler It is the kind of movie that makes you think, that stays with you long after the lights are on in the theatre, you come back home, switch off the lights and go to bed! My advice is, don't miss Interstellar!
Old 9th November 2014, 14:48   #5819
Senior - BHPian

Is Interstellar by any chance like Noah? That movie bored me that I slept while sitting on chair.
Old 9th November 2014, 14:55   #5820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Is Interstellar by any chance like Noah? That movie bored me that I slept while sitting on chair.

Definitely not. I was a bit bored by Noah too, but Miss Watson kept me awake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks