Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2014, 04:45   #5881
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Changeling: 4.5/5

This one was on the radar and I kept seeing it in the HDD but didn't bother to watch. Planned to watch it tonight and was left in tears and smiles at the end of it.

Clint Eastwood spells magic with each and every aspect of the movie - Setup, Casting, Style, Story, everything.
The story is very gripping. Overall, it is a slow paced movie (considering it is based in 1920s'), with no major fast action scenes of the sorts, yet it keeps you on the edge of the seat !! Each scene gives you something to hold on to the next scene.

The story is based on real-life events, one of my favourite generes. Being a parent myself, the story bought some tears and pain, yet ended with a smiling note. A bit emotional one.

Angelina Jolie is in her top class. My other favourite of hers' is 'A Mighty Heart'.
Other characters do their good self.

As I often do, ended up Googling a bit on the real-life event. Came across this horrifying article on Wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winevil...n_Coop_Murders
Old 26th November 2014, 12:20   #5882
BHPian

This is a must for every movie buff

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

I rate it 4.5/5
Old 26th November 2014, 14:37   #5883
Team-BHP Support

Jurassic World's trailer came up yesterday:

The first one would always remain a classic. The visual effects, the T-Rex, the music composed by John Williams - ah the good memories!
Old 26th November 2014, 14:51   #5884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post

I rate it 4.5/5
Yes. A great movie. Watched it umpteen times. I wrote a review of the movie on my blog and the producer actually responded to that blog post. It was one of the best days of my life.

My review: Copy-pasted from my blog:
Quote:
As a policy, I don’t entertain piracy of intellectual content such as music or movies. Many a time I have come across as a pompous, self-righteous, whining old man and people have started avoiding me at social gatherings fearing my lectures on the importance of upholding a wonderful but little understood concept called Intellectual Property Rights.

So when I downloaded this movie from a torrents site, it was the first of many things. My first usage of the bit torrent client on my Ubuntu laptop; my first download of a movie in electronic form; in some ways my first “illegal” and “Criminal” activity on the internet.

Before you pick up the phone and report me to the cops, let me reveal something – The producers of this movie have “requested me” (read on) to download the movie via torrents. I have their official consent. So while the transaction may have taken place via a medium largely known to beget piracy, I am quite on the right side of the legal line.

(Update: Eric D Wilkinson clarified below in the comments section that they did not “request” anyone to steal or download the pirated copy of their movie but did not have a choice. Read the complete comment: http://www.venu.in/blog/?p=280&cpage=1#comment-415. I would like to clarify here that the “request” part in the paragraph above should not be taken literally. I am happy Eric read my review and provided his point of view.)

The movie in question is Jerome Bixby’s “The Man from Earth”, an astonishing tale about a man purportedly 14000 years old. I was blown away by the script. (Jerome Bixby is the writer) There are no heroes in this movie. It is the script that captivates you. And that’s sad because, this amazing movie though extremely popular, has not made any money. In fact last heard, it is yet to recover the costs.

The producers of this movie, Richard Schenkman (Also the director) and Eric D Wilkinson, made a passionate appeal on the torrents site – encouraging people to go ahead and download this movie. If you watch it and like it, you are requested to make a donation however small it may be. I parted with ten dollars immediately after I finished watching the movie. Such attempts should be encouraged.

Let me forewarn you. It is a science fiction movie only in the strictest sense of the phrase science-fiction. The entire movie takes place inside a room and there is no movement other than people shifting from one lazy boy recliner to another. It is actually a dialogue – kind of a group discussion where the “14000 year old man” is subjected to a long, strenuous and sometimes scary cross examination by his friends. The dialogue is the soul of the movie.

I will stop at this point as any more disclosures will adversely affect your experience of watching this movie. It is not without its shortcomings though. In a crucial juncture towards the end, you find certain complex schools of thought reduced to oversimplified notions and if you are deeply religious, there are chances you would want to declare a holy war on the makers of this movie. However, it makes you think and it entertains you completely. The objective of this movie, if I am not mistaken, is to captivate the viewer and from that point of view alone – it merits a full five stars.

My recommendation: Catch hold of this movie. If you like it, donate as much as you can. Let more such thoughtful movies delight us.

The movie website: http://manfromearth.com/

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th November 2014 at 17:55. Reason: Copy-pasting your blog content here itself. Our rules disallow members from linking to their own sites. Thanks :)
Old 26th November 2014, 19:35   #5885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I rate it 4.5/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
Yes. A great movie. Watched it umpteen times. I wrote a review of the movie on my blog and the producer actually responded to that blog post. It was one of the best days of my life.

My review: http://www.venu.in/blog/2010/08/the-...view/#comments
+1 to that.
This movie is available on Netflix now in US.
Old 26th November 2014, 19:55   #5886
Distinguished - BHPian

Daybreakers:
Ethan Hawke

This one may have slipped under the radar for most.
Its a vampire against humans story, but there is a twist, in that, the vampires have more or less decimated the humans, and run the world normally, but at night.
Ethan stars as a hematologist working on artificial blood, since humans are more less gone. Instead he meets a few humans, and then it carries on.

Its very slick, and very nicely presented, and a good vampire flick.

4.5/5

Welcome to the punch

James mcavoy, and Mark strong

Mcavoy as a cop, who came out on the wrong side of things after an argument with Strong, who was interrupted in a heist.
The rest is all about Strong's son getting deaded, and the subsequent revenge thing.
Its a typical brit action/thriller flick, and lovely.
DO watch
5/5
Old 26th November 2014, 20:27   #5887
BHPian

Dumb and Dumber to
Actors - Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels

There is no continuation to the previous part, so go ahead and watch it even if you haven't seen the first part. In the series of action films like the Equalizer, John Wick, if you need to have a real laugh, then this movie is a must watch. the dumbness is shown in such a way in this movie that no one would have imagined So sit tight and enjoy a good laugh over the weekend. Do not take your kids with you, as one wouldn't want to keep explaining the jokes to them instead of enjoying the movie. You will definitely enjoy this one as Jim Carrey is still the king of the comedy.

Score
Definitely a 5/5
Old 26th November 2014, 22:31   #5888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I rate it 4.5/5
I give it a 5/5. No matter how many times I see this it always amazes me. I recommend everyone who is a movie buff. A must watch.
Old 30th November 2014, 00:48   #5889
BHPian

Hunger Games - mocking jay Part 1
Fans of the series cannot complain but was slow in parts making me reach out to my phone to check emails... Not much depth in this edition
Old 30th November 2014, 07:55   #5890
Senior - BHPian

Penguins of Madagascar (*** 1/2)

We had very high expectations because of the super funny dialogues of the penguins in the original Madagascar series and fantastic trailer. However the movie is not as funny as we expected.

There are parts which are a laugh riot, but parts. Some scenes are a little slow and almost kill the pace of the movie.

Opening sequence, NW vs Penguins chase sequence and the Penguins going behind Octopi are great. Lovely voices by artistes, especially Captain and Kowalski. But my favourite is ofcourse Classified...voiced by my current most favourite actor, Benedict Cumberbatch. His voice is to die for.

Overall the movie is not as good as all the 3 Madagascar movies, but not bad at all. All kids in the theatre including mine got bored in the 2nd half.

The half star out of the ***1/2 is because its an animation movie and animation movies are never bad, violent, gory or any negative adjective you can think of. They are very refreshing and pleasure to watch.
Old 30th November 2014, 09:23   #5891
Senior - BHPian

The Signal : One of the best movies of science fiction this year. You will be on kept me guessing throughout. The end was superb.
Old 30th November 2014, 09:36   #5892
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Absolutely dying to see Penguins of Madagascar - they are really naughty and I love them.
Also Paddington, about a little boy in a train station with a talking bear.

Truly however old I may be, I derive much happiness from watching these innocent films.
Old 30th November 2014, 09:42   #5893
Senior - BHPian

Waiting

The 'Millennium Falcon' looks fantastic...
Old 30th November 2014, 14:42   #5894
Distinguished - BHPian

So now its all but official, Interstellar has failed to repeat the box-office success of Nolan's last 3, i.e TDK, Inception & TDKR. Even the current figures are mostly because of his vast fan-base who initially went to see it. The official motto of the Nolan fan club is "in him we trust", now I'm not sure anymore. His latest seems too much of a mish-mash of sci-fi, forcefully depicted emotions, and a highly repetitive soundtrack of an otherwise very capable Hans Zimmer. Adjusted for inflation, the past 3 movies more than double the current Interstellar figure.

I usually don't care for special effects, its the story/inspiration that piques my curiosity. The story was wafer thin here. The theories like time-dilation, worm-holes, time-travel etc may 'sound' impressive but as a huge Nolan fan I got to say this bombed.

May I also suggest watching the movie Camp X-Ray? Its a wonderful simple story and a certain actress completely redeems herself in it.
Old 30th November 2014, 19:23   #5895
BHPian

Exodus: Gods and Kings

Eagerly waiting for Ridley Scott direction. Many of his previous directions are a great success as Gladiator.

Cast involves Christian Bale as Moses and Joel Edgerton as Ramesses II, and many other well known faces. Looking forward to this one releasing in india on 5th of December 2014.

Most Viewed