Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2014, 20:56   #5896
Team-BHP Support

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Just saw Horrible Bosses 2. While the beginning is a bit silly, and it seems they're trying too hard, it picks up very well and is a good laugh by the end of it. Definitely worth a watch!
Old 30th November 2014, 21:03   #5897
Distinguished - BHPian

Predestination

As far as blowing you out of your mind concepts go, this blows a lot of time travel movies away, so to speak.
Ethan hawke is absolutely brilliant in this one.
It's a proper time travel sci-fi flick, but what execution. And the twists... Man o man!
I can say anything about the plot without giving away a detail which will hit you midway. Just watch this if you watched trance/inception/Continuum with even a half penny of interest. It's that level of good.

5/5

Last edited by mayankk : 30th November 2014 at 21:04.
Old 4th December 2014, 13:57   #5898

Saw a few this week and decided to share my thoughts here.....

Lucy 4/5

Well made. Concept was very new, so it kept me hooked to the end. A good watch.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3/5

Nothing new or original. I felt it was a filler movie for something bigger. Even if it was, there is no reason not to make this one alluring - which I felt was missing. Batista's lines are enjoyable though.

Interstellar 3/5

The hype surrounding this one and paucity of tickets led me to watch it in IMAX. Story is good. Effort put into the film is very evident. Did find one major logical flaw (cannot day what it is and spoil it for those planning to see) or gap in explanation that rendered the experience incomplete.

The 100-foot journey 4.5/5

Helen mirren and Om Puri compete for acting excellence. Great story with awesome dialogues. Some of them are really well placed and well delivered. Helen's portrayal of a few expressions were amazingly genuine. A sumtious treat to the palate.

The Maze Runner 2.5/5

The trend of post apocalyptic life on earth seems to be dragging on. After Hunger Games and Divergent, I didn't find anything new or different. Mediocre acting, unoriginal creatures and high levels of predictability punctuate this franchise which, like the others, has more movies to come. Can watch when there is nothing else.

If I stay 1.5/5

Aims to create an emotional atmosphere. Ends up putting the viewers to sleep! A slow drag with not a great story line.

The One I Love 3.5/5

Slightly different concept, but not totally new. One time watch.
Old 4th December 2014, 14:01   #5899

Predestination 3/5

Was able to predict all of the twists bar one. Very different to most movies. A good narrative keeps one hooked to the end.
Old 4th December 2014, 16:27   #5900
Senior - BHPian

Old movies but still.

Prometheus: 3/5

The plot is very good, the concept is good too, but somehow I felt that the director was in a hurry to wrap up things near the end.

Also, if someone can explain,
1) Why those virtual robots/humans/whatever are only visible to David-the robot and why not others?
2) Why does he play spoil-sport in the 2nd half?
and few more questions.

All in all, worth a watch one time.

The Grand Budapest Hotel: 4/5

What a crazy movie!!! Totally different treatment to screenplay, and a pretty good one too. Very fast paced movie from start to end. Ralph Fiennes is excellent and so is "Zero" played by Anthony Quinonez.

Flashback into flashback into flashback into flashback, is how the movie starts. You hardly get time to think or even breath.

Must watch once at least.
Old 6th December 2014, 15:54   #5901
Senior - BHPian

The name's Spectre: New James Bond film will star Chistoph Waltz, Monica Bellucci
wonder which exotics also appear in the film : )

https://twitter.com/ExploringBird/ti...D&refsrc=email

London: The latest Daniel Craig-starrer James Bond movie is called Spectre and will have Sherlock actor Andrew Scott, Oscar-winner Christoph Waltz and Monica Bellucci joining as new cast members, director Sam Mendes announced in London on Thursday.
Daniel Craig will be seen as James Bond once more in Spectre. ReutersDaniel Craig will be seen as James Bond once more in Spectre. Reuters
Craig, 46, is returning for his fourth turn as Ian Fleming's fictional spy 007 while it would be director Sam Mendes' second Bond film after the success of Skyfall.
Spectre will release on 6 November next year.
"We are very excited and I think I speak on behalf of all of us to say that we cannot wait to bring this movie to you in just under a year's time. We hope you like it," Mendes said as he announced cast and crew details with producer Barbara Broccoli at Pinewood studios in Buckinghamshire.
The film will begin principal photography from Monday at Pinewood studios (London). It will be shot in locations like Mexico City, Rome, Tangier & Erfoud, Morocco, Solden, Obertilliach and Lake Altausee (Austria).
In the new movie, a cryptic message from Bond's past sends him on a trail to uncover a sinister organisation (Spectre). While M battles political forces to keep the secret service alive, Bond peels back the layers of deceit to reveal the terrible truth behind Spectre.
Django Unchained star Waltz, whose name was rumoured in the cast as villain Blofeld, will play Oberhauser. Mendes did not elaborate on his character.
Scott, best known for his role in TV drama Sherlock where he played Sherlock's nemesis James Moriarty, will play Denbigh. David Bautista will play Mr Hinx.
Bellucci, 50, is the new Bond girl Lucia Sciarra with Blue is the Warmest Color star Lea Seydoux as Madeleine Swann.
Ben Whishaw, who played Q in the last film, is returning so is Naomie Harris as Moneypenny, Rory Kinnear as Tanner. Ralph Fiennes, who was introduced as the new M after the death of Judi Dench in Skyfall, is also returning.
Aston Martin has continued its 50-year-old relationship with the spy drama and Mendes launched the new DB-10 version of the car that Bond will be seen driving in the movie.
The writing team behind Skyfall - John Logan, Neil Purvis and Rob Wade are returning for Spectre as well.
The film is produced by Albert R Broccoli's EON Productions, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, and Sony Pictures Entertainment.
PTI
Old 6th December 2014, 17:18   #5902
BHPian

Saw this movie last night. Compelling watch & very different from movies we usually see. Won't give you much here so as to not spoil your viewing pleasure.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-image.jpg
Old 6th December 2014, 18:24   #5903
BHPian

Exodus : Gods & Kings

I was so eagerly waiting for this movie - saw it first day first show - and what a downer it is. Boring, too long and on expected lines. Some visuals were very good but overall probably the most insipid Ridley Scott movie I have seen.

Rating : 2.5/5, Can miss.
Old 6th December 2014, 18:26   #5904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Predestination

As far as blowing you out of your mind concepts go, this blows a lot of time travel movies away, so to speak.
Ethan hawke is absolutely brilliant in this one.
It's a proper time travel sci-fi flick, but what execution. And the twists... Man o man!
I can say anything about the plot without giving away a detail which will hit you midway. Just watch this if you watched trance/inception/Continuum with even a half penny of interest. It's that level of good.

5/5
Absolutely agree. One of the best sci-fi flicks I have seen in a long time. Beautiful - Must watch in my opinion.
Old 6th December 2014, 18:49   #5905
Distinguished - BHPian

Exodus: 2/5. I was really waiting for this movie since the first time I saw its trailer which looked very promising. But the movie turned out to be totally opposite. Couldn't make out what exactly did they tried to show. My advice is to avoid it.
Old 6th December 2014, 20:25   #5906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Saw this movie last night. Compelling watch & very different from movies we usually see. Won't give you much here so as to not spoil your viewing pleasure.

Attachment 1315734
Agreed.. That's a good one. Saw this a few weeks ago. I think I last saw this actor in Warrior. Quite a different role.
Old 6th December 2014, 22:11   #5907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post

Agreed.. That's a good one. Saw this a few weeks ago. I think I last saw this actor in Warrior. Quite a different role.
Not as Bane?

I'll also check out the warrior, meantime.
Old 7th December 2014, 19:17   #5908
BHPian

Pretty sure ya'll must have seen it but sharing it nonetheless.

I'll watch it for Arnie alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay S View Post
Saw a few this week and decided to share my thoughts here.....

Guardians of the Galaxy 3/5

Nothing new or original. I felt it was a filler movie for something bigger. Even if it was, there is no reason not to make this one alluring - which I felt was missing. Batista's lines are enjoyable though.

Interstellar 3/5

Did find one major logical flaw (cannot day what it is and spoil it for those planning to see) or gap in explanation that rendered the experience incomplete.
The average moviegoer might feel that Guardians of the Galaxy does not have an original setting to it since the current trend is just aliens invasions and superheroes. But it serves as an excellent tie-up film to Marvel's cineverse and the characters and is a fair comic-to-movie adaptation.

I can tell that one flaw with Interstellar - McConaughey!!

I am yet to watch Lucy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Old movies but still.

Prometheus: 3/5

The plot is very good, the concept is good too, but somehow I felt that the director was in a hurry to wrap up things near the end.

Also, if someone can explain,
1) Why those virtual robots/humans/whatever are only visible to David-the robot and why not others?
2) Why does he play spoil-sport in the 2nd half?
and few more questions.
The virtual robots/humans/whatever are referred to as 'The Engineers'

Don't wanna spoil the plot so PM'ed you.
Old 7th December 2014, 21:30   #5909
Senior - BHPian

Lucy - 4/5

The concept is brilliant. The execution is pretty good too. Especially everytime the "cerebral capacity" goes up, you look forward to what Lucy can do now.

Scarlet Johansson is my favourite of the current lot Hollywood actresses. She has pulled off Lucy really well. And of course, sir Morgan never ever disappoints.

Thumbs up to the movie!
Old 8th December 2014, 09:42   #5910
Team-BHP Support

For all the people who are confused about Interstellar, this is a must watch. It contains spoilers, so don't watch if you haven't seen the movie.

The renowned astrophysicist Neil Degrasse Tyson gives it 8-9 out of 10 for scientific accuracy.

Most Viewed