Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2015, 07:02   #5971
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Check out primer. Its the best of the genre IMHO.
yep, primer is a cult classic. much like triangle- that one is trippy too
Old 20th January 2015, 11:35   #5972
Senior - BHPian

Boyhood (Rating - 2/5)

I seriously don't know why BOYHOOD is already winning so many awards all over the world. What a disappointing, boring, documentary. Yes, documentary, its not a movie, unless the definition of a 'movie" has changed in the recent past.

Its about a boy and his little sister and how they grow up in the typical American life ( divorces, single mother, drunk step-father, etc...). Where is the story in all this mess? The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything, even the Grand Budapest Hotel are really good movies, compared to this boredom-personified documentary.

The only USP of this documentary is that the director shot this over 12 years and managed to retain the entire cast throughout. The boy grows from mere 5 years of age to 17+ by the end of the movie, and that is some super stuff. I don't think any other director/producer has done this before, in the world.

Please avoid, if you can.

P.S.: Its a 3 hour long movie. You need all the patience in the world to survive till the end of the movie.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 20th January 2015 at 11:38.
Old 21st January 2015, 14:46   #5973
Distinguished - BHPian

Left behind

I'm a huge fan of Nicholas Cage, as much as I'm a fanboy of mclaren.
But this one had me wondering how hard are the times he's landed in, to do such stuff???
First outcast, now this.
The movie is basically about rapture, and the ones left behind, of which cage and his daughter are two, with his wife and son gone. Interesting so far? Now, the thriller bit : Cage is a pilot of a plane which had to turn back to New York post rapture because he's losing fuel and doesn't have hydraulics or some such.
Absolutely harebrained plot, with some amazingly bad acting by cage, as if he was forced to do the film and is trying everything he can do to make it stink.

Please avoid, even if you love cage.
0/5

Last edited by mayankk : 21st January 2015 at 14:48.
Old 21st January 2015, 16:12   #5974
BHPian

American Sniper: The performance of Bradley Cooper is towering to any of his roles till date. The movie is a good one time watch. It has some chilling scenes of violence. Clint Eastwood has probably toned down the aggression of the character. Probably a 7/10 for me

The Imitation Game : Absolutely brilliant to anyone who does not know about Alan Turing. Brialliant potrayal of his life. he director does a grea job with the script. The story though could have been developed a bit more. Benedict Cumberbatch takes on the role effortlessly. A must watch in my opinion 8.5/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncNest View Post
yep, primer is a cult classic. much like triangle- that one is trippy too
I get bored when I watch this one, have tried so many times The film makers have made it really really difficult to understand and I do not know if it is a good or a bad thing, but I found this to be excruciating. Maybe, one more sincere effort.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st January 2015 at 21:05. Reason: Back to back posts merged, Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 16:34   #5975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Boyhood (Rating - 2/5)

I seriously don't know why BOYHOOD is already winning so many awards all over the world. What a disappointing, boring, documentary. Yes, documentary, its not a movie, unless the definition of a 'movie" has changed in the recent past.

Its about a boy and his little sister and how they grow up in the typical American life ( divorces, single mother, drunk step-father, etc...). Where is the story in all this mess? The Imitation Game, The Theory of Everything, even the Grand Budapest Hotel are really good movies, compared to this boredom-personified documentary.

The only USP of this documentary is that the director shot this over 12 years and managed to retain the entire cast throughout. The boy grows from mere 5 years of age to 17+ by the end of the movie, and that is some super stuff. I don't think any other director/producer has done this before, in the world.

Please avoid, if you can.

P.S.: Its a 3 hour long movie. You need all the patience in the world to survive till the end of the movie.
Boyhood is an inquiry into the fragments of life that we keep dragging behind us like the coaches of a train. Meeting head-on, one only gets to see our face, our appearance of stability, our glaring ruggedness, cast in a cloud of vicious smoke.

one has to look past this to see the mental states we inhabited in each of those compartments of our life:
the one where the boy witnesses intimacy between his mother and a stranger, the one where his father forgets his promise and sells the car, his first kiss, his first confessional dialogue he has with his girlfriend, the one where his mother (who is shown to be incredibly composed throughout the movie) breaks down and cries in the end

Boyhood is beautiful, it is a jewel encased in rapture. see it from each side and it shines differently.
Old 21st January 2015, 23:30   #5976
BHPian

The Imitation Game : 4.5/5

For science/tech nerds, this is a good watch. Although it doesn't get into the technicalities of ciphers and encryption, which IMO very very select few would even understand, it covers Alan Turing's work in decoding the Enigma machine. Benedict Cumberbatch does a fine job as Turing, as also Charles Dance who plays commander of armed forces (Navy?).

American Sniper : 3.5/5

Though this is better than most stuff Hollywood churns out, it's not the best movie in this genre, if you're into military ops based movies/documentaries. Best work by Bradley Cooper yet, while Sienna Miller looks toned down. I was a little disappointed though, that it didn't cover much about the usual sniper role or his spotter. Bradley's role seems more of designated marksman than pure sniper however.

I liked "Zero Dark Thirty", "Act of Valor" and "Lone Survivor" more than American Sniper.
Old 23rd January 2015, 20:19   #5977
BHPian

The Theory Of Everything

The Theory Of Everything

Finally watched this much awaited movie. Based on the life of Stephen Hawking this movie is somewhat of a tragic love story. Eddie Redmayne & Felicity Jones performances are phenomenal. The movie requires patience and unfolds like a scene set in time gone by. Amazing, beautiful, heart breaking and among the most touching movies one will ever see.

The background score and cinematography is perfect. It is easily the best of the 3 new english movies, all nominated for Academy Awards, I have seen so far this week. The movie is not about science or mathematics but about humans and love. An absolute must watch.
9.5/10 for me

PS. If the lead actor does not win the Academy for this, I don't know who will.
Old 23rd January 2015, 21:53   #5978
BHPian

Big Eyes is ok, not as good as what we have come to expect from Tim Burton. I love his movies - they exude a sense of something ancient that has been bottled up, and is being opened for you, the audience.

Who can forget the sweet portrayal of Frankenstein in Edward Scissorhands. And what about Big Fish, a movie that you want to screw up and hide in the soft walls of your heart...

So, well, coming from him, Big Eyes was just ordinary. 3/5

Note from Support: Please check grammar & perform a spell-check before posting. Thanks!
Old 24th January 2015, 01:53   #5979
Senior - BHPian

Watched the following movies:

Fury: My brother who is in the army asked me to watch this. Glad i did and its just too good. Gives an insight into the way a war looks and also into the minds of the people. It has a lot to do with ambush variety of war.

Acting is very good by all characters in this and is very nicely done. Do watch it.
4/5

Sniper: This is a movie which will give a insight to the mind of the character. It will leave you stunned as calling for war is easy. Being in a war is a different story. The ending had me in tears. Absolutely in tears. The day India respects its soldiers the way they are in america, that day we have arrived as human beings.
4/5

Hobbit: This movie is really well done as the last part of the triology. The action sequences are nice but i feel over time the director has started adopting the latest trend of jumping and strings in the movie. Its a nice end but i preferred LOR part 3 to this.
3/5

next movie to watch is unbroken.

Maddy
Old 24th January 2015, 20:54   #5980
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Theory Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
The Theory Of Everything
The lead actor, Eddie Redmayne was immense.

But I didn't like the movie as much as I hoped. Not at all in the same league as say 'A Beautiful Mind'.
Old 25th January 2015, 10:36   #5981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Left behind

0/5
Can we give negative rating?
Along with the negatives you have mentioned, the movie also holds a particular religion high. For example, there is a guy in the flight who is seen praying, wearing a religious cap etc. But because he follows a different religion, he is not affected by the event that occurs about 35 minutes through the film.
Old 25th January 2015, 13:36   #5982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Can we give negative rating?
Along with the negatives you have mentioned, the movie also holds a particular religion high. For example, there is a guy in the flight who is seen praying, wearing a religious cap etc. But because he follows a different religion, he is not affected by the event that occurs about 35 minutes through the film.
That's true.
However, if you recall, the preacher is also left behind.
And the best bit is the end where they sort of indicate a sequel. Why????
High hopes they must have had.
Old 25th January 2015, 14:15   #5983
Team-BHP Support

I feel that Nicolas Cage is to Hollywood what Mithun Chakraborty was to Bollywood in the '90s
Old 25th January 2015, 19:29   #5984

St.Vincent

A bit predictable but very nice story with great acting by both leads. Leaves you with a soft feeling on the inside.

4/5
Old 27th January 2015, 17:23   #5985
BHPian

Whiplash

Another good movie from this Oscar season. It ends a bit abruptly but I won't blame the makers for it, because I think the ending sort of hangs in there, teasing you. Since we have no spoilers rule, I won’t deliberate on the ending.

The movie is very nicely done. The pacing of the movie is steady and doesn’t escalate towards the ending (like most blockbusters today). Don’t let this dampen your excitement though.

At times the dialogue is too simplified. For instance where the protagonist is telling his girlfriend he has to focus on his drumming and can’t see her anymore. No melodrama, no cries, no tears…
And then, there are times when I felt it was overdone. His obsession/hero-worship was an overkill. It could have been toned down a bit.

All in all, a great movie that ties the mental resolve with expectations (of holding up or breaking)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks