Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2015, 10:15   #6301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post

Caught 'Blue Ruin' over the weekend - love it for its long silences, short meaningful dialogues and brutal twists.

Blue Ruin has been on my must watch list forever. Strangely, Not been able to get hold of a copy yet.

Saw--
Man from Reno (2014), Japanese and English movie). Is a slow burner initially. Recommended watch.

Legend (2015). Disappointing. Not sure what they wanted to do with this. The tone could have been taut and tense, instead too many elements were squeezed in and it didn't turn out to be either character driven or love story or a gangster story.

Cold Weather (2010). I recalled this one after watching Man from Reno. It is a nice little indie movie where one of the lead characters is inspired by Sherlock Holmes.
Old 1st January 2016, 00:30   #6302
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched The Big Short, possibly one of the few in our country to do so (it hasn't released here and wont for a few more weeks so its easy to guess how).

The review, its an 8/10 easily.. thanks to Christian Bale for the most part and the storyline in general. Some portions were unnecessary for what is basically, a business/economy based storyline about the real life fall of the American housing market. Some parts have been glamorized & simplified for the others to retain interest. It is based on 100% real people & incidents though, and would teach a valuable lesson on the mirage that is banking. Remove the dust from the eyes and even the most hidden agenda becomes obvious.
Old 1st January 2016, 19:50   #6303
BHPian

Star Wars - The Force Awakens - only die hard Star Wars fan can like this. For someone like me who has not seen any Star Wars films and went in expecting a good sci-fi film, well 4/10.
Old 1st January 2016, 21:16   #6304
BHPian

Some Movies I watched recently, would recommend these

Just Cause - Sean Connery and Laurence Fishburne star in this psychological thriller about a lawyer who unwittingly becomes a pawn in a complex plot full of twists and turns as he tries to help free a death row felon

Inglourious Basterds - As war rages in Europe, a Nazi-scalping squad of American soldiers, known to their enemy as “The Basterds,” is on a daring mission to take down the leaders of the Third Reich.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - When a sudden attack by a French warship inflicts casualities and severe damage upon his vessel, Captain "Lucky" Jack Aubrey (Crowe) of the British Royal Navy is torn between duty and friendship as he embarks on a thrilling, high-stakes chase across two oceans to intercept and capture the enemy at any cost.

Body of Lies -

Seven - Two cops (Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman) track a brilliant and elusive killer who orchestrates a string of horrific murders, each kill targeting a practitioner of one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

Defiance - A good watch - Story about Bielski brothers, Jewish partisans who escaped into the forests of Eastern Europe during the Second World War. The film's best achievement is its strong location work, in Lithuania--as the community makes its home in the forest, the landscape becomes an important player in the drama at hand, and the changing of the seasons is charted with bone-chilling detail.

Fracture - Ted Crawford (Hopkins) brutally murders his wife and calmly waits for the police to arrest him. With the weapon and a signed confession in hand, Deputy D.A., Willy Beachum (Gosling), believes a conviction is a slam dunk; that is until the case completely unravels. Now, with little evidence, Beachum goes head to head with the cunning Mr. Crawford in a desperate search for the truth and the answer to one burning question: How is this guy getting away with murder?

Seven Years in Tibet - Brad Pitt stars in the soaring adventure and incredible true story of an Austrian prisoner of war who is transformed by his friendship with the young Dalai Lama.

The Hunt for Red October - A new technologically-superior Soviet nuclear sub, the Red October, is heading for the U.S. coast under the command of Captain Marko Ramius (Connery). The American government thinks Ramius is planning to attack. A lone CIA analyst (Baldwin) has a different idea: he thinks Ramius is planning to defect, but he has only a few hours to find him and prove it, because the entire Russian naval and air commands are trying to find him, too. The hunt is on!

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Non English

The Intouchables - Brilliant Movie - When Driss, an ex-con from the projects, is hired to take care of an eccentric French aristocrat named Philippe, his newfound job quickly becomes an unpredictable adventure. Speeding a Maserati through Paris, seducing women and paragliding over the Alps is just the beginning, as Driss turns the often humorous world of upper-class Parisian society upside-down. As this unlikely duo overcome adversity of every flavor in this true story, they also shatter their preconceptions of love, life and each other.

Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan - Reasonably good movie - Asano Tadanobu portrays Temudgin in director Sergei Bodrov's sweeping, Academy Award nominated epic full of breathtaking landscapes and bloody battles that follows the Mongol warrior as he escapes the shackles of bondage, finds love and rises to become the general who would create history's most powerful empire.

A Separation - Brilliant Movie, should watch

Children of Heaven - Brilliant Movie, should watch

*Synopsis from respective Amazon pages
Old 1st January 2016, 23:32   #6305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Watched The Big Short
Thanks for that. Amazing how greed invariably leads to stupidity and results in the common man paying for someone's mistakes. Wonder if there is a lesson in here for India's e-comm & related start ups.
Old 2nd January 2016, 21:35   #6306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Thanks for that. Wonder if there is a lesson in here for India's e-comm & related start ups.
You're welcome. Steve Carell's character's reactions were absolutely genius I'd say, couldn't stop laughing. As for your e-comm & start-ups statement I thought of exactly that and I also know what will happen.

The problem here is that there is little to none ethics in any form of business, all that matters is the mo-nay that rolls in. Its simple, make a claim > advertise the claim however much ridiculous until it brainwashes people > operate on wafer thin margins or even minor losses for awhile > build massive customer base > go public claiming the infra & consumer base > become overnight billionaires > sell the brand/go into losses then sell the brand> everyone loses except the founder & CEO.

The banks & investment firms have it even easier.. best case grow richer than wildest imaginations which would lead to huge promotions/bonuses and worst case jump off the sinking ship with savings in tow. There is greed but there is no stupidity involved, their only job is to drain the economy and direct wealth towards themselves. The "firm" is only a punching bag between themselves & investors. (P.S to others none of these are spoilers)
Old 3rd January 2016, 01:17   #6307
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know when Hateful Eight will be released in India?
Old 3rd January 2016, 09:17   #6308
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Watched The Big Short, possibly one of the few in our country to do so (it hasn't released here and wont for a few more weeks so its easy to guess how).
Thanks for the recommendation! I love business / economy-based movies. Will watch.

Straight Outta Compton - Giving it a 9/10. On hip-hop and the music industry.

Brilliant acting & direction.

Old 3rd January 2016, 09:35   #6309
BHPian

Watched 'The Walk' loved it. I will watch it again if I get a chance.

Everest - amazing scenes but the overall story and dialogs was sub par.
Old 3rd January 2016, 11:24   #6310
BHPian

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

The diving bell and the butterfly. Must watch, ladies and gentlemen, if you want to witness the power of human spirit. Based on a true story. Was supposed to be made in English by Hollywood, but they ended up making a French movie.
Old 4th January 2016, 13:05   #6311
BHPian

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 5/10

In case you're a die hard Star Wars fan, you should like this movie. If, however, you're like me who's not particularly impressed with the whole Star Wars franchise & fan following, I would recommend you skip this movie. Let's just say that the franchise is still in the same 80's era while the rest of the franchise from the same era have moved on. \\//
Old 4th January 2016, 13:10   #6312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
Some Movies I watched recently, would recommend these

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

*Synopsis from respective Amazon pages
I just loved this movie and then read all 3 books. The 3 books have been made into movies in Swedish and they are a very good watch as well, would recommend them anyday.

I'm currently reading the latest book "The girl in the Spider's Web" by the new author.
Old 13th January 2016, 21:41   #6313
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hateful Eight - 3.5/5 Typical Tarantino movie with many a twist and turn. The first 30 mintues is slow but then things get moving. Not as good as the Django or Inglorious Bs but surely worth a watch.
Old 13th January 2016, 23:49   #6314
Distinguished - BHPian

Another movie on the fall of the American housing market, albeit this one being slightly dramatized & the story is of course fictional. The actors well I always liked Michael Shannon's acting even though he mostly fits the serious/villain mould, Andrew Garfield did a good job as well (mostly in hiding his Brit accent). The story is simple, gripping and straightforward, something lacking in movies today. The hard reality of realty so to speak.

Movie name : 99 Homes.
Old 16th January 2016, 00:33   #6315
Distinguished - BHPian

The Revenant - 4/5 Its hard, brutal and very real. Not for someone with a queasy stomach. Dont take your kids or even your better half for this movie. Poignant cinematography. Reminds me of Into the Wild. If DiCaprio does not win the Oscar for this, then I doubt that he ever will.

Last edited by procrj : 16th January 2016 at 00:40.

Most Viewed