Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2016, 17:44   #6466
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Angry Birds: Time passed
Old 4th June 2016, 00:34   #6467
BHPian

Watched 13 hours. Good work by Michael Bay. Action, and lot of it very believable. It is based on the 2012 attacks on the CIA annex in Benghazi, Libya, 2012. Bay hasn't taken a lot of artistic liberties, and that's a very good thing. The movie sticks to the actual events as far as possible.

Last edited by searchingheaven : 4th June 2016 at 00:40.
Old 6th June 2016, 13:23   #6468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hey guys!
How is the new X-men movie ?
I just wound up on the movie last night.
You could watch it on the big screen just for the sake of the massive antics.
Otherwise, it was bad. Apocalypse has been made into doomsday of SvB. Yeah, they keep saying "he is so powerful, he will kill us, he will destroy everything", but you JUST DONT see it in the movie. Watch the last few episodes of X Men:evolution to understand how bad this guy is!

And the choice of actors? I know the old would not fit, but c'mon, dont scrape the bottom of the barrel!
Famke Janssen, Halle berry, James Marsden(yeah, him too!), Rebecca Stamos.
Current guys are useless for such major characters like the ones above. Only one who seemed as good was Nightcrawler.

And the dialogues!!
Hol-eeee!!! SOme of the worst ever!

I'd still give it a 3/5 just for the massive scale of the events shown.
Old 6th June 2016, 13:32   #6469
Senior - BHPian

13 Hours - The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

4.5/5. Absolutely Brilliant Movie. Edge of the seat action with almost everything replicated as it actually happened.

It has covered the emotions, the team bonding, the will to live and most of all the power of America to support its people wherever on this planet.

An Absolute must watch.

PS: Watching this movie, although this had CIA personnel in them, it made me wonder, if ordinary Indians were stuck in a far flung place like this in need of military assistance, would Indian Army/Navy/Airforce come to the assistance pounding whoever is trying to harm us ?
Old 6th June 2016, 13:34   #6470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Watched 13 hours. Good work by Michael Bay. Action, and lot of it very believable. It is based on the 2012 attacks on the CIA annex in Benghazi, Libya, 2012. Bay hasn't taken a lot of artistic liberties, and that's a very good thing. The movie sticks to the actual events as far as possible.
I agree. The camera work was good. He gave the viewer very good sense of the battlefield and how the whole defence and attack were carried out. Buildup to the firefight was fantastic but the actual battle didn't quite live upto the expectations. They might as well have given importance to the surprise element of attack and the ensuing chaos.
Old 6th June 2016, 16:42   #6471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
13 Hours - The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

4.5/5. Absolutely Brilliant Movie. Edge of the seat action with almost everything replicated as it actually happened.

An Absolute must watch.

PS: Watching this movie, although this had CIA personnel in them, it made me wonder, if ordinary Indians were stuck in a far flung place like this in need of military assistance, would Indian Army/Navy/Airforce come to the assistance pounding whoever is trying to harm us ?
I agree with you about the movie - brilliant though a bit long.

But the US government - under the Democrats and Secretary of state Hillary Clinton failed to come to the rescue of the Ambassador and the GRS contractors had to fight so hard for their own survival.
Old 6th June 2016, 17:13   #6472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I agree with you about the movie - brilliant though a bit long.

But the US government - under the Democrats and Secretary of state Hillary Clinton failed to come to the rescue of the Ambassador and the GRS contractors had to fight so hard for their own survival.
I think we will have to agree to disagree here. The Benghazi committee, which was set up in May 2014, has been operational for longer than the 9/11 Commission was.

The committee has spent nearly $7 million looking into an incident that had already been the subject of an independent investigation commissioned by the State Department and nine reports issued by seven other congressional committees. Those reviews faulted the federal government for failing to provide proper security for the American ambassador in Libya and three of his colleagues who were killed, but found no evidence of a cover-up or gross negligence by Mrs. Clinton. I am not getting too political, but believe me, if there was anything that could have been found on her, it would have been found, considering that she had announced her campaign by that time.
Old 8th June 2016, 23:03   #6473
Distinguished - BHPian

Misconduct (2016)

Josh Duhamel leads an all-star cast in a pacy thriller, which turns into a murder-fugitive drama. Despite boasting of heavyweights such as Al Pacino and Anthony Hopkins and a story with enough twists to keep you thinking till the end, what bogs the film down is the absolute emotionless performance of the entire cast. The only one who does anything worth of note is Malin Akerman (of Watchmen fame).

Sad to see so much talent wasted. What could have been a dark, deceitful, twisted and edgy thriller ends up being a missed opportunity. Shame, really.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 8th June 2016 at 23:04.
Old 9th June 2016, 06:18   #6474
BHPian

Heidi

Not an English film, I saw it on the flight with subtitles. A wonderful story of a little girl staying with her grandfather in the Swiss Alps. I liked it so much I saw it again on the return flight! A very feel good and charming film. All the actors have done a splendid job and the locations are amazingly shot.

Check out:
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3700392/

Rating - 5/5

Another film (Hungarian) I saw was The Wednesday Child, a story about a teenage mother trying to do better in life for her son. Very well acted and directed.
The actress is debuting and has done a solid job on this. Recommended.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2670508/

Rating - 4/5
Old 22nd June 2016, 10:19   #6475
Senior - BHPian

Finally caught up with FURIOUS - 7. I would rate it 4/5 just for the entertainment value.

Most of the scenes are like... WTH !!! But are also entertaining to the core. I thought Haan was killed too early and too fast. I was expecting some car chasing and all, continued from the Furious-6 part.

I don't know if this technique was used before, but there is one very interesting camera technique used in Furious-7. When Lottie and that huge woman are fighting in that hotel in Abu Dhabi, Lottie falls down on the soft and then the sofa turns over. If you observe, the camera also moves with the sofa. Also, in the fight sequence where Paul is fighting with Tony Ja, when Paul falls, the camera also falls, literary. I found it very interesting.

The Lykan Hypersport flying from tower one to tower two to tower three is over the top, but amazingly shot, whether VFX or not.

Furious-8 is for sure on the cards, but this time without Paul.
Old 22nd June 2016, 11:08   #6476
BHPian

Conjuring 2

Since the tickets were booked, I sat and watched Conjuring online from 1 AM to 3 AM the night before. While it did not seem very scary but had some really good scenes. Conjuring 2 is not different either. Has its bit of good scenes and also ties down to part 1 in some cases. Would rate it 4/5 stars at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Finally caught up with FURIOUS - 7. I would rate it 4/5 just for the entertainment value.
Looks like you too watched it when it premiered on Television like me . Had some guests at home and so missed the flying Hypersport scene

However, I felt that 5 & 6 were better flowing than 7 in the sense that there was some link between the scenes which I felt was missing in 7 to a certain extent. Felt slightly disjoint at times but nevertheless, lives up to the franchise name. The final scene too is a good one with Paul Walker taking a different road
Old 26th June 2016, 01:36   #6477
BHPian

Independence Day - Resurgence : 4/10

Oh my, what an absolutely terrible movie. Pathetic story, horrendous acting, and really bad direction ! Give this a miss, unless you really like wasting your money & time. Top gear top tip: Avoid!
Old 26th June 2016, 01:58   #6478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Conjuring 2

Since the tickets were booked, I sat and watched Conjuring online from 1 AM to 3 AM the night before. While it did not seem very scary but had some really good scenes. Conjuring 2 is not different either. Has its bit of good scenes and also ties down to part 1 in some cases. Would rate it 4/5 stars at best

Too many jump scare techniques !

A Typical Hollywood Horror with too much left for the Audience to interpret for themselves !
A Lot of Loose Ends and very little pre-info about the characters , barring the leads which result in zero connection with the characters !

For someone like me who prefers a Ghost with a strong motivation [or background] , I must say I am less than impressed.
3/5

PS : The Ghastly Nun is depicted well though !
Old 20th July 2016, 11:14   #6479
BHPian

Ice Age: Collision course

Ho-Hum. Dont get in there with too much expectations. An average movie. Few dialogues are really funny and make you laugh. Else drab. Better get the barbecue out and invite your friends and maybe watch "only fools and horses" on a DVD @home.
Old 24th July 2016, 13:14   #6480
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you like drama, watch the 'Iron Lady' (movie on the life of Margaret Thatcher). Flawless performance by Meryl Streep .

Rating 5/5.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks