Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2016, 14:07   #6481
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

I am an all time fan of Marvel movies and all its movies rank high on my list. however there are some of the movies which have made strong case for re-run on my laptop once in a while.
1. Reader- Watch it for the cynical and vulnerable Kate. Oh boy! did i cry in climax. you bet
2. 12 Years a Slave- Simply superb and poignant.
3. Perfume(story of a murderer)- Story of how your passion can take you to another level. though some unexplained jinx does spoil the narrative which is otherwise very human.
4.The Pianist- All thing WW-II excites me. but its the narrative which is very unique.
And last but not the least

5. Life is Beautiful- Another WW-II movie and my all time favourite. its just mesmerising. Story of father and son in Nazi concentration camp and how father tries to hide his son. the way father narrates the story to keep his son engage is something at a different level. I don't think there is another movie which is as poignant and humorous at the same time. Superlative performances and wonderful narration. Originally an italian movie. A somewhat similarly themed movie namely ' The Boy in striped Pajamas' is another gem of a movie.
Old 30th July 2016, 17:54   #6482
Distinguished - BHPian

Jason Bourne
Rating: 2/5

It's about almost a decade since the last movie, and thankfully the movie too reflects that. Ironically that's the downfall of the movie - they are trying to milk an old cash cow while trying to re-do the same idea with a few minor tweaks. But the the storyline is slow and repetitive. The action scenes are badly done. He is shown to be sloppy and logic has been literally thrown out of the window. And they purposely leave a twist at the end for literally no logical reason; of course other than to keep the flame burning for future sequels.

Go at your own risk. I was bored to death.
Old 4th August 2016, 07:16   #6483
BHPian

Jason Bourne

Rating: 3.5/5

I liked the movie, especially good and engrossing action scenes. The initial build up was slower than the previous Bourne movies but later on, it kept me engaged. I felt it was money well spent in the theater.
Old 10th August 2016, 13:02   #6484
BHPian

Deadpool

***1/2

Watched this after a long long time. Actually loved the screenplay and dialogue delivery. But action is gruesome and some camera angles are hard to digest. The love interest is cute and on the whole, movie is a definite watch - rated R+ for strong language, violence. Story is pretty much the same you would see in most of action heroes/super natural movies.
Old 10th August 2016, 13:12   #6485
Distinguished - BHPian

Being a fan of the Bourne series, I loved Jason Bourne to the core. It is like the previous movies in the series and kept me engrossed throughout the movie. The action scenes and plot is typical Bourne which why I (five of my friends/colleagues) loved it.
Old 10th August 2016, 13:57   #6486
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw Chris Rock's "top five".
It basically is a day in the life of a stand up comedian (Obviously ), who is a recovering alcoholic, about to get married, and trying to promote his "serious" film. Overwhelmed much?
Its been a long time since I saw something new by Chris rock, whether a show, or a movie, and it is utterly refreshing!
Oh, and Rosario Dawson......

5/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesh6481 View Post
All thing WW-II excites me.
Us nutters have a thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ks-trivia.html
Old 10th August 2016, 14:49   #6487
BHPian

Last week I saw star Trek Beyond and wasn't impressed by it. The first movie in the reboot was good but this movie has just copied Star Wars and script and screenplay leave lot to be desired. Star Trek was all about sending right message in a subtle way but this movie seems to give political message in your face.

Rating : 2/5 .

One message to Hollywood is that stop tinkering with original plot and also stop inserting political correctness message in your movies. It spoils the movie and leaves a bad taste.
Old 12th August 2016, 10:08   #6488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I saw Chris Rock's "top five".

Us nutters have a thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ks-trivia.html
thank you very much. hooked on to it now
Old 12th August 2016, 10:27   #6489
BHPian

Jason Bourne was boring. There was nothing new in it. I loved previous Bourne movies but there was nothing new in this one. Also, acting skills of Alicia Vikander not used to its full potential. I would rate it 2/5.
Old 12th August 2016, 15:24   #6490
Senior - BHPian

Finally caught up with SPOTLIGHT. My rating: 4/5

Great movie. Great acting by entire cast. The movie never loses focus. It is a pleasure to see Mark Ruffalo in a completely different role. There is nothing superhero about it. And same is the case with Michael Keaton. It is so refreshing to see these guys play a very normal day-to-day layman characters and still put their 100% effort in those.

No wonder the movie was nominated in all award shows.
Old 12th August 2016, 22:14   #6491
Senior - BHPian

Jason Bourne: 3/5 (1 for attempt, 1 for production,3D & 1 for Matt Damon in Bourne movie )

This is mashup of previous 3 movies. It is like watching selected scenes of the series. Nothing new here. There isn't much in story and is very weak.

PS: I watched with few who had not seen any of previous Bourne movies. They liked the movie.
Old 13th August 2016, 01:19   #6492
BHPian

Just watched Independence Day -- Resurgence, what a god awful movie. Would give it a 0/5 if I could.

Looked like a lo-o-o-ng commercial for the Chinese. How low do the mighty fall?
Old 13th August 2016, 02:18   #6493
BHPian

Demolition :- 4/5

A drama and a good movie by Jake Gyllenhaal.
Loved watching it. Time well spent.

Old 16th August 2016, 00:39   #6494
Distinguished - BHPian

Alright, I guess I'm not keeping up with the latest movies due to extreme time crunch and well, lack of patience not to mention that stories that intrigue me are very, very rare.. for lack of a better term. So let me hark back to the few movies that are rarely mentioned anywhere yet have a deep following by the few people who admire such cinema. Let me also state in advance that viewer discretion is advised in all of the movie names that follow.

1) Schindler's List (1993) : I put seeing this one off by quite a bit, saw it perhaps last year but its worth every second of viewing. The scale of it, Spielberg's hand, a strongly emotional real-world tragedy.. it had everything portrayed in it yet it was a then unknown, lanky Irish gentleman portraying a Nazi-German businessman who totally stole the show and made it his own, specially at the end. We know him now as Mr.Taken, Liam Neeson. An underrated movie which would have tore box-office records if it had released now, but even for today it is risqué, a bit controversial, uncensored and hence can never be a theatre filler quite the same way as say, "Avengers".

2) Eyes Wide Shut (1999) : I doubt anyone would've watched it, even if they have heard of it. May I also raise a very specific warning again for this movie regarding viewer discretion. It is definitely not for the closed-minded and many things will not make sense if one sees it in that manner. This movie, like every other Stanley Kubrick film is a book adaptation truly brought to life. May I also say that Kubrick perhaps, was the finest director on earth.. his way of obsession when focussing on scenes, getting the shot just right and adding layers upon layers of meaning to each shot is perhaps closely matched only by Christopher Nolan. Right from the start the movie screams of controversies, tragedy of errors, a beautiful misunderstanding and horrors which no man should discover. Its a poetic masterpiece set in film and it scares the viewer to the bone without it even being a horror movie. Here the story takes strength from beginning to the end and even with a main cast of Tom Cruise & Nicole Kidman, they hardly matter. Stanley Kubrick is one of the rare directors who brought out the actors in Cruise/Kidman and that's a feat in itself. A haunting experience without the fear factor. A Clockwork Orange is a similar movie by Kubrick, different subject.

3) The Machinist (2004) : Some call it artistic cinema, some call it strangely entertaining, I call it true suspense. To me there is no doubt that Christian Bale can kick "famous" actors like Brad Pitt, DiCaprio and Johnny Depp to the kerb with his acting.. there is no comparison as Bale is at least 10 leagues above and no movie is better proof of it than The Machinist, to enjoy it however, if you've never heard of it watch it straightaway without reading reviews or even looking at the poster. Its a worthwhile 2 hours for fans of noir style setting with old fashioned violin suspense music to boot.

4) 2001 : A Space Odyssey (1968) : Yes the inspiration for Nolan's Interstellar (which I feel happens to be his worst ever), was 2001, a Stanley Kubrick film. Beyond the breath-taking visuals for its time, it is filled with meaning, most of which I was able to piece together myself and many more by reading reviews. It raises many questions, chief among them who we are really, as a race and whether we are in the process of creating so much that it'll destroy us before we know it. The ending is a bit vague but like abstract art I'll let the viewer draw his/her own opinions. A machine sure isn't a man's best friend, though.

5) Falling Down (1993) : A bad day at work? A manic traffic jam? Feeling pushed to a corner every second of the day? How long would it all last before one cracks and kicks society back with the boot it so richly deserves is the question. This movie answers it all and Michael Douglas makes it worth the while. The parts where he fires back at the nonsensical workings of society are hilarious though the end is a bit slow and changes pace in a boring way.

6) Speak (2004) : Alright this may be the least controversial movie in the list, and even could pass off as a Sunday movie. Kristen Stewart is my favourite actress today and before anyone laughs pointing to "the" twilight, I know that was a very poor choice of role, however she redeemed herself in movies like this, Camp X-Ray, Welcome to the Rileys etc. This movie is about a real problem that might happen anywhere, and the way it imprisons an individual until they are forced to see that beyond their troubles, lie infinite choices.
Old 16th August 2016, 01:13   #6495
Distinguished - BHPian

Sausage Party : 3.5 / 5
The double meaning of the movie name literally means the other meaning, so folks planning to watch this with family - DON'T! This is a R-rated animated movie. But on the other hand, this is a ridiculously funny movie and a must-watch. The whole idea seems really stupid from the start but it just keeps on getting better and better.

Suicide Party : 2 / 5
Surprised to see no reviews on this blockbuster. Anyway this is a total flop show; if it wasn't for the potential of the movie (and sequels) and Will Smith & Margot Robbie's acting, this would have been not even worth 1 star. Such an amazing star cast and yet DC turns up with such a mess.

The Secret Life of Pets : 4 / 5
Hilarious watch - irrespective of whether you are a kid or an adult, this is a must watch. Hollywood has realized that there is big bucks in animation movies and its not only Pixar and Disney now focusing on animation movies. The genres of these movies are getting better and better.

Finding Dory : 3.5 / 5
You can't really improve perfection. And that holds true in case of the Nemo and group. Pixar tries to rehash an old story and re-create the magic again. They do pretty well but the movie seems a redo of the original one, with just a few new characters and the existing ones moved here and there. But still a great watch!

Star Trek Beyond : 4 / 5
Read up a lot on how the director Justin Lin (more known for the F&F series) tried very hard to cover the gaps / mistakes of JJ Abrams' previous two movies. And he did a great job - among the various super hits and super misses of summer, this turned out to be great! Somehow the box office hasn't really hit that much, but still it's definitely a must-watch!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks