Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2016, 10:06   #6646
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
I think i would like to watch more of this genre of movies as they are light hearted and can act as great stress busters.
Follow it up with 'The Devil Wears Prada'. Super fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Over few months back I happened to watch Tom Hanks 'The Terminal' and I was blown over by the concept and simple story line and the movie would hold you onto seats. Tom Hanks is just brilliant in this movie and just can't imagine the movie without him.
Next up for you should be Castaway. Love Tom Hanks; he's a thinking actor (much like Aamir Khan). Also check out 'The Green Mile'. Both showcase amazing talent, but are slow-paced.
Old 31st December 2016, 14:03   #6647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Over few months back I happened to watch Tom Hanks 'The Terminal' and I was blown over by the concept.<snip>
Other Tom Hanks must watch movie recommendations welcome.
I love Tom Hanks. So has my better half since she started watching movies with me

Though not offbeat, following are some mainstream movies of his recommend:

1. Apollo 13
2. Cast Away
3. Philadelphia
4. Saving Private Ryan
5. Catch Me If you Can

Just for the heck of watching Tom Hanks act you may also see:

6. Saving Mr. Banks
7. Captain Philips
8. Da Vinci Code
9. Angels and Demons

As such Terminal wasn't so offbeat really. It kind of reminded me of Munnabhai MBBS all the while for some strange reason. Its one of my least preferred Tom Hanks movies, more to do with the plot than his acting.
Old 31st December 2016, 14:38   #6648
Distinguished - BHPian

The first Tom Hanks movie I saw was Splash, on the English movie slot on dd metro on Friday ages ago. That was good too, albeit more for Darryl Hannah than anything else
Old 6th January 2017, 09:47   #6649
Senior - BHPian

Had a couple of days of long train journeys and used the time to watch a few movies:

1) Crazy Stupid Love: Thanks for the tip GTO. Was a good fun movie though some of the situations were a bit creepy especially for a father with a daughter. god help me.

The pairing of steve and ryan was pretty good. 8/10

2) Broken City: Mark wahlberg and russel crowe. What a movie. Twists and turns and all in all a good movie to pass time. 7/10.

3) Snowpiercer: Whoa what a depressing tale to tell of the future. Amazing acting by some of the characters. Lot of plot holes here and there but didn't distract from the overall movie experience. A serious movie through and through. 8/10 for me.

4) Don't breathe: spine chilling to say the least. holds your attention and messes with your mind in that you are not sure whom to root for in this tale of horror/survival. 7/10

5) The accountant: again a solid movie to spend time with. didn't like the sparky anna kendrick in this movie as it was a bit too contrasting in keeping with the movie's overall grim perspective. bit of 80s bollywood in the end but overall 9/10 for me
Old 6th January 2017, 10:05   #6650
BHPian

Since Tom Hanks (who happens to be one of my all time favourite) is being discussed, watched 'Sully' last week. Man O Man, what a performance!
Tom Hanks as Captain Sullenberg is at his best as always and ably supported by Aaron Eckhart (of The Dark Knight fame) as First officer Geff. The movie is short running for hardly 90 minutes but is crisp and engaging.
I never knew it was directed by Clint Eastwood, so there you have some big names involved in the moview and no surprise that it delivers.

The movie is based on the real life incident of US airways flight landing on River Hudson and the subsequent investigation by authorities. Being an engineer, it was more rewarding as it shows how sometimes it is NOT all about numbers! All in all a must watch.

And the icing on the cake is the last scene
Old 6th January 2017, 10:43   #6651
Senior - BHPian

Movie name : Greater (2016)
One of the best movies I did watch last month. Must watch in my view. Signifies never say die adage pretty well.

IMDB : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2950418/
Old 8th January 2017, 09:45   #6652
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Since Tom Hanks (who happens to be one of my all time favourite) is being discussed, watched 'Sully' last week. Man O Man, what a performance!
Thanks for the recommendation! Fantastic movie. Bought it on YouTube for a pricey ~500 bucks, but was totally worth it. Great acting by Hanks as always. I like the unconventional start - instead of the cockpit, the movie begins with the NTSB investigation.
Old 8th January 2017, 17:13   #6653
Senior - BHPian

^ Couldn't agree more. Beautiful, beautiful movie. Clint Eastwood has done justice to "the miracle on Hudson". Towards the end I was surrounded by onion cutting Ninjas!

I'd rate it 5/5 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old 8th January 2017, 18:19   #6654
BHPian

Watched "septembers of shiraz" on Netflix over the weekend. I couldn't understand how it's rated 5 * on Netflix! I was tempted reading the info. It's only after seeing it did I realize that Hollywood also can produce such duds.

Some of my recommendations. Bad memory, so I'll remember only the recent ones

Life is beautiful : Italian : Netflix : You'll love it!
Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's list
The African Doctor : French : watched on Netflix : based on true story
The Big Short : Netflix : Thriller of how some guys make profit off the US economic crash
The Imitation Game : Must watch!
10 Cloverfield : The climax looked sort of weird though. Watch it for the thrills.
Old 8th January 2017, 18:58   #6655
BHPian

Three weekends and three movies which just felt good.

Train to Busan : Agreed not an English movie to deserve mention in this thread, very predictable storyline, but stellar acting and good direction makes it worth watch and a much better zombie movie than anything dished out of Hollywood in this genre.

BFG : Best to be watched with kids, absolute feelgood movie.

Pete's Dragon : Another Disney feelgood movies.

These movies made me forget other terrible movies like Suicide Squad that came in 2016 and ruined an entire year of expectation.
Old 8th January 2017, 20:09   #6656
BHPian

Train to busan is pretty good. I have become numb to zombie movies but not this one. Some close calls with a perspective on human survival instinct makes it interesting.

The wailing (Korean) is another good one that I found online. I haven't finished it but whatever I have seen so far makes it worth checking out.
Old 9th January 2017, 10:14   #6657
BHPian

The movie "Greater" is a superb watch. Though a tear jerker, a wonderful story about a wonderful human being. - I would give this 10/10

The accountant - Showed quite a bit of promise, but in the end turned out to be just another hollywood flick - 6/10
Old 13th January 2017, 22:52   #6658
BHPian

Documentary: Love the Beast
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1284028/...?ref_=tt_ov_pl

Its a documentary and as a car enthusiast its a much watch, must add that it touches on those aspects that only a true car lover would understand.

Its no surprise that many of the things highlighted in movie resonates with pretty much what is often being said in this forum by many.

The movie is available on youtube, so do yourself a favor and watch it before it gets taken down by copyright claim.

Plot summary
Quote:
What if you were a Hollywood movie star with an obsession for cars and racing? You would probably read every script with even the tiniest link to the subject matter, in the hope that you could tell a great car story of the likes of "Grand Prix", "Le Mans" or "Mad Max". Then one day you happened to open your garage door and sitting there, right in front of you, was the film you had been searching for. This is what happened to Eric Bana and this time around, the co-star is his very own Ford GT Falcon Coupe- THE BEAST. Eric realized the story was in fact, about him, his first car, a lifetime of ownership and a lifetime of friendship. He set about documenting his own 25 year long love story. A simple tale of one man's ongoing relationship with his very first car. After years of precious restoration, Eric and his 3 closest friends, decided to enter the car into one of the most grueling and dangerous motor races that exists: The Targa Tasmania Rally. This would be a personal Everest for both man and machine, until...on day 4 of the race, tragedy strikes. The man who was hell bent on trying to convey how much he and those around him loved "THE BEAST", had just destroyed it. Eric has now unwillingly cast himself in his own real life drama. We follow him from inside the race car to the surreal world of the red carpet. This compelling true story follows Eric's progression as a car lover, and as a person conflicted by what he has done. The personal and social pressures mount up in the face of re building a car that means so much to him. Along the way Eric seeks guidance and wisdom from not only the inner sanctum of his 3 life long friends but also Jay Leno, Jeremy Clarkson, and Dr Phil.

Last edited by born_free : 13th January 2017 at 23:01. Reason: Added youtube link
Old 16th January 2017, 13:52   #6659
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you are okay with a slooooow drama, I recommend Barry. It's on Barack Obama's days at Columbia University.

Devon Terrell convincingly plays a young Obama. Not only does he look like him, even the way he speaks is like the big man. Speaking of which, this movie has excellent dialogues too. But again, it moves at a snail's pace.

I'll give it 4 / 5 stars.

Old 21st January 2017, 18:10   #6660
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

'The Founder' is in theatres - don't miss! Based on the exceptional man behind McDonalds. Has positive reviews too.

A recommendation - Fair Game. Based on the true story of Valerie Plame. Enjoyed it.

GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks