Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2017, 09:18   #6661
Senior - BHPian

Watched Rhona Mitra in doomsday. Was like a British version of mad max at times. Nice one.
Then it was bone tomahawk. Horror western. Nice genre. What a movie. Not for the faint of heart though.
Old 23rd January 2017, 10:17   #6662
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also check out 'The Green Mile'. Both showcase amazing talent, but are slow-paced.
This is indeed an awesome movie, slow paced but has moments that are really touching. Must see if you are a Tom Hanks fan.
Old 25th January 2017, 13:03   #6663
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
'The Founder' is in theatres - don't miss! Based on the exceptional man behind McDonalds. Has positive reviews too.
Watched 'The Founder' last night. It's a nice movie; good, but certainly not exceptional. In fact, among business movies, I enjoyed flicks like 'Guru' a lot more. The Founder is simply not in the league of greats like Wall Street etc.

Watch it on TV, whenever it comes. No need to go to the theatre.
Old 25th January 2017, 13:15   #6664
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Though not offbeat, following are some mainstream movies of his recommend
I'd add "You've got mail" to the list of Tom Hanks movies to watch.
Old 25th January 2017, 13:51   #6665
Senior - BHPian

Watched another chiller last evening.

10 Cloverfield lane.

Gets dragging at times but imagining yourself in such a situation it just creeps you out.
Old 25th January 2017, 14:11   #6666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

A recommendation - Fair Game. Based on the true story of Valerie Plame. Enjoyed it.
Watch Nothing but the Truth. Its a better though fictionalized representation of the fiasco from the perspective of the reporter.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th January 2017 at 20:35. Reason: Video removed from quote.
Old 25th January 2017, 18:32   #6667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I'd add "You've got mail" to the list of Tom Hanks movies to watch.
Not a romance movie fan. Found Sleepless in Seattle by the same lead pair a much better watch

You've Got Mail somewhat rekindles some of the horrors of watching its Tamil remake
Old 26th January 2017, 23:54   #6668
BHPian

LION:

The Dev Patel starrer movie works only for one reason Sunny Pawar. That little dude has given the most gut wrenching performance in this movie, so true to heart with his eyes giving us a view of the cruel world that we live in. He is a special treat to watch!! The conditions of the kids shown in the movie will definitely make your eyes wet.

The second half is a bit of a drab, in which he goes on a quest to find his hometown, which seems to have been dragged a lot. Nicole Kidman gets handful of scenes and she has done great in it.

Watch it for Sunny!

Rating: 3.5/5 ; Mostly for Sunny Pawar a big thumbs up!

Old 30th January 2017, 09:28   #6669
BHPian

Three movies this weekend.

Sully: I am not qualified to comment on a movie directed by Clint Eastwood and Tom Hanks doing another stellar job.

Kubo and the two Strings : Basic animation, high quality voice acting and simple story telling. I personally liked this movie a lot.

The best movie of the weekend happens to be another animation flick.

Batman : Return of the caped crusaders : A spoofy take on the serious and dark side of Batman we have been used to seeing in the last decade.

Based on the Adam west Batman series from the 60s and adorned with all the corny dialogues and awesome fight sequences with the animated punching noises. It was a pleasant surprise to see voice acting by Adam West and Burt Ward themselves. A sweet nostalgic surprise.

Car fans would be happy to see the original double bubble Lincoln Futura back in action but in animated avatar. This movie made me keep repeating the bits which went "Nana Nana Nana Nana BATMAN!"

PS : Do take special note of the numerous references to the other Batman movies including the Nolan trilogy.

Last edited by rohitoasis : 30th January 2017 at 09:29. Reason: Adding PS
Old 9th February 2017, 13:53   #6670
Senior - BHPian

Watched M Night new movie SPLIT yesterday.

Review: Well it was no way near his mater pieces like Sixth Sense, Unbreakable etc. Very Slow. Infact i was Split between weather i should just walk out or just simply enjoy my popcorn and pepsi
Old 9th February 2017, 15:31   #6671
BHPian

Once in a while you chance upon something, something big, nice - even if it is a little less real. Watched the movie "Pay it forward" ( available on you tube) a small kids social science project and here is I contributing to his project. If you too feel for it just pay it forward.
Old 10th February 2017, 09:07   #6672
Distinguished - BHPian

As a big "Ahnald" fan and having seen every movie of his till date, can't wait to see his latest, looks good for a change and I might just enjoy the movie this time rather than seeing it for the sake of keeping tradition that included every 1 star movie like Expendables, Escape Plan and Maggie.

I know not many people like him for his acting and that is partially true, but I always felt he gives and honest effort and believes in his role completely in any movie and that is visible on-screen. He is one of those rare actors with a presence that no one today can boast of having. Aside from Christian Bale who I consider the number one actor of all time, past, present and future, for action with a little bit of campy, none can touch Arnie.
Old 10th February 2017, 09:37   #6673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
, none can touch Arnie.
Agree!!
Though this latest outing sounds like collateral damage in parts. Anyway, as usual, going to enjoy watching this as well?
By the by, what are your thoughts on last action hero?
Old 11th February 2017, 23:20   #6674
Distinguished - BHPian

John Wick 2 : 4/5

Brilliant movie; just go for the action cuts. Story is simple and delves deeper into John's past but without too much drama. If you liked the action what you saw in the first movie, prepare to be amazed as the whole movie is one fast paced action setup.

Unlike a lot of other action movie, it's Keanu who keeps it all connected.
Old 12th February 2017, 10:05   #6675
Team-BHP Support

Over the last few days, watched the two movies that are making the waves at award ceremonies:

1) Manchester by the Sea: I remember watching the Golden Globes and Jimmy Fallon's comment, "The only thing sadder in 2016 than 2016 itself was Manchester by the Sea".

He wasn't wrong. There isn't anything pleasant in the movie, not a moment when you'd have at least a little smile. It's all gloomy and sad.

2) La La Land: absolutely worth a watch but I think I had different expectations going by all the hype around the movie.

Wish it had a different ending though

Most Viewed