Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2017, 19:42   #6811
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Atomic Blond - 8/10

My kinda movie Cold war, spy stuff, MI-6 CIA KGB all in the mix, 80's music that I absolutely adore, and a decent-ish plot. Charlize Theron is a treat to watch, as is James McAvoy.
Old 12th August 2017, 21:19   #6812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If you like Wes Anderson's way of making movies. You can try his other movies as well:

1. Grand Budapest Hotel
2. Rushmore
3. Royal Tenenbaums

Would like to see Fantastic Mr. Fox and Life Acquatic with Steve Zissou sometime.
Watch Captain Fantastic. You will love it.

You may also watch "Secret in their Eyes" from Argentina

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th August 2017 at 09:16. Reason: Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 22:24   #6813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finiteinjustice View Post
"Secret in their Eyes" from Argentina
Have already seen this one. Picking out movies from IMDB Top 250? May I suggest the French-Canadian Incendies.
Old 13th August 2017, 08:22   #6814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Have already seen this one. Picking out movies from IMDB Top 250? May I suggest the French-Canadian Incendies.
Yes i have watched Incendies many years back. Its lebanese i think.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th August 2017 at 09:16. Reason: See mod note
Old 16th August 2017, 20:01   #6815
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Middle Men - very entertaining movie based on Christopher Mallick and the internet adult industry. Good weeknight watch - 3.5 / 5 stars. Not family friendly though (especially if you see the uncensored version).

Old 20th August 2017, 13:40   #6816
Senior - BHPian

13 hours - the secret soldiers of Benghazi. Amazing watch based on a true story of American Ex-CIA operatives putting up a brave front for 13 hours to rescue folks from Libya.
Rating 4/5 stars. Hard core, good action.

Old 20th August 2017, 16:33   #6817
Distinguished - BHPian

Annabelle: Creation

Went in with a low expectation and knew this wont be as good as the previous editions as the trailer wasn't exciting enough. Well, came out to be true. The kid acted pretty well and that was it. The scares were all at the expected points and knew it was coming. 1 or 2 scares might excite you. This is nowhere close to The Conjuring and I hope the 3rd installment of the "the conjuring" and "the nun" will be good. This film ends where it all began (showing how Annabelle movie started).

Anyway, I decided to take the odd timing to find myself in an empty theater and I was lucky. Had only 10-15 people max and all were seated in the front. I had the rear to myself.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-img_20170820_091738.jpg

Rating - 2/5 (DVD watch would do)
Old 7th September 2017, 15:39   #6818
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you like Hip-Hop or the American music scene, you'll love 'All Eyez On Me'. It's on Tupac Shakur. Demetrius & Danai (his Mom in the movie) have acted well.

I enjoyed watching it. Will give the flick 3.5/5 stars, but it's not in the league of "Straight Outta Compton" (5/5 stars).

Old 8th September 2017, 01:56   #6819
Distinguished - BHPian

Went to see Lucky Logan last weekend. I enjoyed it 4/5. At the same time this movie might not appeal to everyone. You sort of have to appreciate the very laid back attitude/approach to life of the South of the USA.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, surprising end
Jeroen
Old 8th September 2017, 08:54   #6820
Team-BHP Support

Saw The Hundred Foot Journey over the weekend.

Feel good movie with noteworthy performances by the main cast. Worthy watch on a lazy afternoon at home.

Helen Mirren's accent is convincingly French!

Old 17th September 2017, 10:19   #6821
GTO
Team-BHP Support

After the disastrous Furious 7 experience, I hadn't gone to see 'The Fate of the Furious' in the theatre. Lazy weekend, so figured I'll catch up on it from my couch.

Some nice cars, & it's always nice to see Dom and gang, but what a horrible storyline. I couldn't get myself to complete such a stupid movie. Left it halfway or so.

Will give it 1.5 / 5 stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Saw The Hundred Foot Journey over the weekend.
An excellent movie. Especially loved watching the performances of Om Puri & Helen Mirren.
Old 17th September 2017, 14:56   #6822
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been watching quite a few new releases over the past couple of weeks.

IT: Am a big Stephen King fan so just had to watch this 2017 version of one of his classic horror tales. Not bad for a one-time viewing but stops of short being a really good movie. The kids' performances are worth watching. Pennywise the Clown is more grotesque than scary. 6/10

American Made: A Tom Cruise starrer about a supposed true story of a pilot who works for the CIA and then becomes a drug smuggler for Pablo Escobar's crew. Or is it the other way around? The problem with movies based on real life is the director needs to have a very special take on it to make it interesting. Fails on that count, though it is quite watchable otherwise. 5/10

Victoria & Abdul: Another story based on true events about the 19th century British Empress and an Indian servant she takes a fancy for. The Queen is in her 80s during the time this is set in so don't get ideas Judy Dench is a wonderful actress and does justice but the story lacks punch. 6/10
Old 17th September 2017, 17:54   #6823
Distinguished - BHPian

IT

I grew up watching child's play, IT etc and this is one of my all time favorite and I didnt want to miss out on this one. It's just the adaptation of the original. If you have seen the original, you know what to expect. The kids did act well and I quite liked the clown's wicked smile. Loved the fact he wasnt loaded in all the scenes but kept to some solid scares. Pretty long movie but you will enjoy if you like King's novels. Good to see this is just the beginning "IT - Chapter One". Hope there are movies coming up as good as the original. Finally a good watch in the theater after Conjuring 2.
Rating - 4/5
Old 17th September 2017, 21:07   #6824
BHPian

Three movies this Sunday.

Monster (2003)
I dont have to repeat what the critics have claimed as the best performance by Charlize theron. The story slowly starts unravelling the story behind the damaged character. Was surprised that Patty Jenkins after making this in 2003 did only Wonder Woman in 2017.

Baby Driver (2017)
A collection of wonderful actors like Kevin Spacey, John Hamm, Jamie Foxx and another decent role by Ansel Elgort. Peppered by decent cars, Good driving sequences, amazing music. A total riot on the senses. Totally recommend this movie for entertainment over two hours.

The Big Sick (2017)
A very happy and charming movie with decent performances by Kumail Nanjiani, Ray Romano, Zoe Kazan, Holly Hunter, Anupam Kher et al. A very sweet movie which can be watched with a family as well. Again would recommend this movie to anyone.
Old 17th September 2017, 22:37   #6825
Team-BHP Support

Just saw The Light Between Oceans

A lovely movie that is both immensely heart-warming yet heart-wrenching.

If you like films that give you the feels, this one is right up there.

Most Viewed