Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2019, 09:01   #7231
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Polar : 3/5
But I had more fun than I expected from this Netflix produced movie. In a style that kind of replicates the John Wick series, Mikkelsen does a fairly decent job of a retired hitman that still has the capability to do the job when needed. Thankfully the movie's decently paced, especially in the second half.

Note: Strictly not a family movie, this is clearly an Adults-only watch.
I watched this yesterday and it was an OK movie. Right when you say they tried to do a John Wick here, and failed.

But few of the situations were something like out of an Indian stunt movie where nothing happens to the hero.
Old 29th January 2019, 16:13   #7232
Senior - BHPian

Billionaire boys club: A star cast had me in high hopes but ultimately it was just a waste of time. Avoidable. 2/5

The Salvation:
Mads Mikkelsen in a western? How did that come about?
But worries were dispelled soon enough watching this hard hitting western.
3.5/5
Old 17th February 2019, 20:27   #7233
Senior - BHPian

Alita - Battle Angel Rating - 3.5/5

Alita is a visually stunning movie. The action sequences are mind blowing. However, the movie lacks a solid storyline. You leave the theatre with few unanswered questions. Most likely, there will be a sequel.

I read in one news article that depending on audience response for 1st movie, James Cameron might think of doing a sequel. But that doesn't mean that you leave the audience with so many unconnected dots.

All said and done, it's an extravaganza only to be experienced in a 3D IMax. The finesse of visual effects is extraordinary. Salute to James Cameron.

BTW, he is going to use the tech in Alita for Avatar-2.
Old 18th February 2019, 05:09   #7234
Distinguished - BHPian

Alita - Battle Angel Rating - 2.5 / 5

So so movie; amazing graphics; okiesh act put by the actors. There isn't any meat in the script; it's all been there done there storyline. Watch it for the graphics, otherwise this can wait to come on Netflix/Amazon Prime.

Bumblebee : 3 / 5

Excellent start; the first half really has meat as compared to the previous iterations of just metal robot vs metal robot fights. It's the second half that kinda lets you down with a similar setup as past movies. But still worth a watch.

Creed 2 : 2 / 5

Stallone needs to shut shop on this series. This one doesn't make sense from a script perspective; it's just Rocky 4 repeated again, this time Creed's son donning the role of Rocky vs the 'barbarian' Russian. The surprise? Dolph Lundgren, a face more known than the name from the Universal Soldier series (and others), pulls a pretty decent act throughout the movie.

Honestly, if you have seen Rocky series, give this a miss.
Old 18th February 2019, 09:41   #7235
Team-BHP Support

I finally found out why Will Smith refused to do the Matrix.

Old 18th February 2019, 10:59   #7236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls14 View Post
After being introduced to the world of Korean movies a few years back, I now struggle to sit through most of the Hollywood and Bollywood movies.

On the topic of Korean movies, I love this one - The Age of Shadows

Lead men have done an outstanding job, but the hero in true sense is the story. You can feel the tension in the air.
Old 18th February 2019, 11:28   #7237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I finally found out why Will Smith refused to do the Matrix.
Oh this is quite common info Also this decision reinforced another ruling in his book - never turn down futuristic / sci-fi movies ever (I, Robot, I Am Legend, etc). I believe he's been open about this since quite some time.
Old 22nd February 2019, 16:38   #7238
Distinguished - BHPian

T-34 : 4/5

A brilliant (fiction) movie about a bunch of Russian tank men beating multiple German tigers and then finally getting caught and taken as POWs. The German decide to use them as practice for their new soldiers and give them an old Russian tank to defend. How they handle the situation with some amazing tank fight scenes with some moments of superbly placed humor scenes makes this an excellent watch. The cast is pretty decent; especially the scenes between the Russian protagonist and the German lead.

Unfortunately this being from the Russian stablehouse, there aren't much options to legally watch this, so torrents (with English titles) will be the only option to procure this.

On a side note, there's another T-34 vs Tiger tank movie "White Tiger"; which is also a pretty decent watch.
Old 28th February 2019, 21:22   #7239
Distinguished - BHPian

Operation Red Sea : 3.5 / 5

We have been so much used to US war movies that it's a bit of amusement and disbelief to view another country take America's role in a global war movie. Think 'Black Hawk Down' with Chinese army caught up in Somalia instead of the US; or a Chinese war hero playing Bradley Cooper's role in American Sniper; or a Chinese bomb defusal squad in the Hurt Locker. Doesn't seem right, does it?

But that's Operation Red Sea for you; a blitz action packed war movie loosely based on a Chinese personnel extraction in Yemen in 2005 that has sniping wars, tank fights, hostage rescue, and what not. Overall, the plot is pretty straightforward; the focus is clearly to showcase the firepower of the Chinese Navy and some neat gadgetry too!

Edit: Lately I seem to have been bitten by foreign war movies; first the Russian, now the Chinese. Maybe I'd look at the Korean and Israeli next

Last edited by ninjatalli : 28th February 2019 at 21:25.
Old 3rd March 2019, 00:33   #7240
BHPian

Quote:

Edit: Lately I seem to have been bitten by foreign war movies; first the Russian, now the Chinese. Maybe I'd look at the Korean and Israeli next
Korea has some good movies, though they are relegated to North-South war and espionage themes.
Old 3rd March 2019, 11:08   #7241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Korea has some good movies, though they are relegated to North-South war and espionage themes.
On the topic of Korean movies, Rock On is seemingly a rip off of a Korean movie.

I finally managed to watch last year's multi award winner - *** Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri ***

It's a okay movie with top notch acting performances. FRANCES MCDORMAND kills the role. Sam Rockwell has also aced his role as a corrupt, mean, arrogant local cop later repenting his actions and helping Frances. A decent one time watch, purely for the outstanding acting.
Old 3rd March 2019, 23:06   #7242
BHPian

Bohemian Rhapsody

Nominated for various categories at Oscars, this movie is a biopic on Freddie Mercury who was the lead singer of the popular UK band called Queen. This movie was a fascinating experience for a Bollywood oriented person like me as it offered a glimpse into the life of a talented artist and his difficult journey in the industry of rock music. In spite of the professional progress made as a member of Queen, Freddie’s life with a troubled one and the movie successfully portrays this aspect with particular emphasis on his personal relationships and controversies regarding his lifestyle. I was shocked to learn that Freddie was just forty-five when he died after battling with AIDS.

Overall, a good movie with nice music and great acting. In case you are not sure, I will definitely recommend you to watch this movie.

Last edited by Saanil : 3rd March 2019 at 23:11.
Old 4th March 2019, 11:50   #7243
Distinguished - BHPian

Caught up with few Oscar movies this weekend.

Bohemian Rhapsody

Absolutely loved the movie especially if you love Queen. Malek totally deserved the Oscar and loved his Oscar speech since he is also an immigrant. He nailed it.

Rating - 5/5 (Must Watch)

Green Book

Again, a good movie. Brilliant acting by Ali and especially Viggo. I think he (Viggo) deserved an Oscar for his performance.

Rating - 4.5/5 (Must Watch)
Old 4th March 2019, 16:02   #7244
BHPian

Quote:
T-34 : 4/5

A brilliant (fiction) movie about a bunch of Russian tank men beating multiple German tigers
Watched it, thanks for the recommendation. Respect for the T 34 battle tank.
Old 4th March 2019, 19:06   #7245
BHPian

Watched The Hurricane Heist over the weekend. Regular popcorn movie with few scenes to speak of. Watch it when you have some time to kill. 2.5/5

Most Viewed