Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2021, 02:05   #7906
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Recommend The Man from Earth and The Vast of Night, both on Amazon Prime. Very underrated movies.
sanmish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 22:35   #7907
BHPian

Taking suggestion from a colleague whom I introduced to lots of good movies, Watched " The Next Three Days". 2010 release. Starring Russel Crowe.
IMDb rating 7.4
A very good flick must say.
Action and Thriller genre.
Must watch this one.

Editing the post to recommend one more.

Eden Lake.
Michael Fassbender
2008 release.
IMDb 6.8
Genre- Action, Horror, Thriller.

A Couple's vacation plan in countryside UK goes awry with extreme consequences.

Again, Highly recommended.

P.S. Anushka Sharma's NH 10 (2015) was " loosely" based on this nail biter.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-screenshot_20210127195849.png  

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-screenshot_20210127200820.png  

Last edited by CornerCarver : 27th January 2021 at 22:45. Reason: Adding more topic
CornerCarver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 16:21   #7908
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw Hunter Killer, a 2018 movie starring Gerald Butler, Gary Oldman, Michael Nyqvist and others about a submarine that's gone to find out about a missing US nuclear submarine in Russian waters. A good watch. It's available on Lionsgate Play. I'll rate it 3½ stars.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-hunter_killer748570199large.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 16:34   #7909
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornerCarver View Post
Taking suggestion from a colleague whom I introduced to lots of good movies, Watched " The Next Three Days". 2010 release. Starring Russel Crowe.
IMDb rating 7.4
If you liked this movie, you will love "Nothing but the truth" (2008) too. Amazing Washington DC movie about a lady journalist who won't reveal her source of information, come what may.
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:25   #7910
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw Mortdecai, a comedy with Johnny Depp in lead role with Gwyneth Paltrow, Ewan McGregor and Paul Bettany in supporting roles. I'll give it a 3.5*

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-screenshot_20210202182735__01.jpg

If anyone has liked Thomas Crown Affair, this movie is worth watching.

Available on Netflix and Lionsgate Play.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th March 2021 at 17:33. Reason: As requested
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 08:42   #7911
Distinguished - BHPian

The Dig playing on Netflix, is a layered watch. Based on a true story, Ralph Fiennes is superlative in the movie.

Rating 3.5/5

Little slow to start with but the storyline makes up for it wonderfully. Recommended watch.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 08:51   #7912
Senior - BHPian

Two Denzel movies related to trains:
The taking of Pelham 123
Unstoppable

The story is “not that great” but Denzel does a great job in both. Recommended watch.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 09:18   #7913
BHPian

Bought Tenet (2020) on Apple TV as soon as it released. The visuals and action are top notch as expected from a Christoper Nolan movie. The entire cast does a commendable job. The premise is intriguing and I had to watch it a couple of time to wrap my head around it. However, the complexity of the plot takes away from the lucidity of story-telling. I enjoyed the movie, but less than his other movies: Memento (2000), The Prestige (2006) and Inception (2010)
My rating: 4/5

Also saw Circle (2015) on Netflix. It is categorized as science fiction psychological horror thriller, but it is more an attempt to capture the human psyche in the face of death, moral values vis-a-vis self preservation. It is an interesting concept that happens almost entirely in a single room (inspired by 12 Angry Men) and moves forward just through dialogue between its occupants. The movie is gripping through out only to be undone by a slightly weak climax. Still I would recommend this movie as a good watch.
My rating: 3.5/5
pnredkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 10:26   #7914
Senior - BHPian

Tenet:
All I can say is that you'll be better of buying the movie online cause you'll need to watch it multiple times. Remember, every scene is critical and you'll need to concentrate real hard. A very good movie!
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 10:27   #7915
BHPian

The Commuter - a thriller movie with an ensemble cast that includes Liam Neeson, Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson. The latter two were in the horror movie series - the Conjuring. Most of the film happens in a train. Neeson may show his age, but as Shakespeare says - age cannot wither him nor custom stale his infinite variety'.
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 19:50   #7916
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched 2Guns starring Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg on Netflix. It's a good movie, 4/5*. It's a 2013 movie. If you're a fan of either of them, must watch it.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-mv5bntq5mtgzndg4of5bml5banbnxkftztcwmjayodezoq._v1_.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 10:04   #7917
Senior - BHPian

Watched Tenet thru Apple TV last night. While the movie is based on a very novel concept, i think it should have been made in way that its easier for folks to understand. Sure, the broad concept is clear, but the smaller details are a bit hard to comprehend. The movie has been well made, great locales, and the lead actors perform reasonably well. Would I want to watch it the 2nd time to understand it better? Probably not.

Looks like Nolan really wanted to attempt something thats very complex, he probably gets everyones attention, but the movie doesnt make you go wow and thats probably because you are trying too hard to understand whats really happening.

John David Washington seems like a worthy successor to Denzel Washington, he has the earnestness of Denzel in many ways. Although I had watched him first in Blackkklansman, this movie sort of reiterated his ability to pull off mainstream characters. Robert pattinson has that intrigue and mystery surrounding him and he would surely make a good Batman, better than Ben affleck for sure.

Lastly, the two best movies of Nolan, according to me are Insomnia and The prestige. Many would have missed Insomnia, but that is such a classic. A rare combination of Al Pacino and Robin Williams being directed by Nolan in his early days.
Also, just as a prelude to his whole career, Nolan made a film called The following, which is his very first movie, more like a directorial debut, and when you see this you would understand why he always chases something complex. Its a simple movie, supposedly shot on a very tight budget with a very small unit, but surely a good watch.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 10:59   #7918
BHPian

BookMyShow has started a streaming service for movies. Tenet and Wonder Woman 1984 are available among other movies.

Has anybody tried this service? Is it possible to cast it to the TV using Chromecast?
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 12:07   #7919
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
BookMyShow has started a streaming service for movies. Tenet and Wonder Woman 1984 are available among other movies.

Has anybody tried this service? Is it possible to cast it to the TV using Chromecast?
I haven't tried Bookmyshow but if you are interested in watching these movies, they are available on Google Play Movies on rent. Tenet is available in 4k for a rental of Rs 150. You can also stream from that directly to Chromecast
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 01:16   #7920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
BookMyShow has started ..

Yes. We watched Wonder Woman using Samsung mirror on our smart TV using BMS stream service. Next in line is Tenet.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks