Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 16:02   #1546
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

SRK might still do ok, but Tushar ??
Tushar Kapoor.

I do not understand what he is still doing in the industry after giving us a decade of flop movies.

Most of his movies have sunk without a trace, the last being Mr. Kalakaar.
Old 16th June 2011, 17:52   #1547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
This movie is a true cult comedy.I don't remember how many times i must have seen the movie.

Every thing about this movie is just perfect;the chemistry between Nasirudddin shah and Ravi basvani is amazing.
For sure.

Even all the lesser-known actors of back then (fairly popular now) such as Satish Kaushik, Neena Gupta, etc. are perfect in their characters too.

Such a simplistic yet brilliant satire from the Kundan Shah stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
How can I ever forget "Chashme Baddoor", a movie, that can never be remade. Farooque Shaikh, Ravi Baswani and Rakesh Bedi as three friends and their age old Jawa as their only ride. Saeed Jaffrey as Lallan Miyan, I am still searching for one paan waalah who is as good as Lallan Miyan. Then Deepti Naval with her Chamko Washing Powder.

Wish someone could give me the DVD of this movie.

David Dhawan is doing a blasphemy by remaking the 1981 film Chashme Baddoor. Rishi Kapoor would play the role of Lallan Miyan.
Ahhh, memories! What a great film Chashme Baddoor was!

Anyone who grew up in the 80s will still be quoting Deepti Naval's Chamko intro, as soon as Farooque opened the door!

I bet the remake will flop miserably. Those who have seen the original will blast it, and today's generation will simply not care and toss it aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks RavenAvi and Traveloholic for bringing up the subject of these two great movies. Both were practically anthems to hindi cinema. Not to mention, Golmaal and Angoor ( which incidentally is getting re-made as we speak with Rohit Shetty behind the camera).

However, some movies like "No Entry" "Hera Pheri" and "Welcome" came about 25%-50% closer to JBDY. There's a long way for any movie to come neck to neck of JBDY.

P.S: Next movie in line " Band Baja Baraat". Reviews please?
Band Baaja Baraat is good, not great but good. The concept is novel, and most films on weddings sell in Bollywood (who can forget HAHK!), and add to it teenage angst and emotions and it's sure to touch a cord with today's teenagers. Worth a watch, definitely.

Those 80s comedies are like ageless wine - you can watch them over and over again and love it every time! Naram Garam, Ulta Seedha, Lakhon Ki Baat, Choti Si Baat, Bombay To Goa (slightly older but still a blast to watch even today!), etc.

Which reminds me - I will pop in Chupke Chupke tonight. I simply love that film! It has been a long while since I visited Professor Parimal and his "shudh" Hindi!
Old 16th June 2011, 20:27   #1548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Quote:
Angoor ( which incidentally is getting re-made as we speak with Rohit Shetty behind the camera).

The remake stars SRK and Tushar Kapoor

SRK might still do ok, but Tushar ??
Angoor was based on William Shakespeare's novel "The Comedy of Errors" I hope Rohit Shetty uses his own style in interpreting the novel than taking it from Angoor

Frankly Tushar Kapoor should be good in Deven Verma's character
Old 16th June 2011, 21:40   #1549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S: Next movie in line " Band Baja Baraat". Reviews please?
Its a good one time watch. A couple of foot tapping songs, decent fast paced movie with good direction. The lead pair is great imho, they get along real nice and make a good pair on screen. Acting is at par, story line while predictable, is kinda neat. I don't think we have seen any other movie where wedding is done as a business.

I felt, they should have increased star power, like the one who gives them big contract in the finale, could have been done by a senior actor, his daughter and that guy could have been played by again someone popular. that would have increased movie value a lot.

overall an enjoyable one time watch. Your better half would love it. Has a love scene so parental guidance is needed if watching with kids.
Old 16th June 2011, 22:41   #1550
Senior - BHPian

ALl those old movies were a treat with Jaane bhe do yaaron and chupke chupke among my favourites. Such simple and clean comedies cant be made today

Ready-
I warned my friends not to see this but they dragged me to it.
After a long time i was mentally tortured.
Its absolute crap of a movie.

Rating-1/5(just for some good scenes between sallu and lahri)
Old 17th June 2011, 10:20   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I need to confess something.

I watched Hissss on TV and actually sat through the whole movie.

I was just curious to know why someone decided to make a movie based on a shape-shifting cobra (icchaadhaari nagin) in 2011.

Rohan
Old 17th June 2011, 13:28   #1552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Mobike:
I did not like "Band Baaja Baraat".
The story line is flawed.
A woman takes a liking to a man. Sleeps with him. Then wants to collect the due in terms of marriage, fidelity and all that Archie Hallmark carp. The man runs away only to come back later. And they live happily ever after.

P.S: I know Hyderabadis love watching movies but you manage to watch almost any film.
Hey, I saw the movie and totally disagree with what you said (highlighted in my quote). She never wants to collect marriage, she feels frustrated, disappointed and sad that her feeling is not mutual thus, feels its best to break of the partnership to run away from her feelings.

I think it was a perfectly logical feeling considering in our country, men and women cannot work together and these love complications bound to happen if you tend to work closely together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
@mobike: " Band Baja Baraat" is a one time must watch movie..its not boring and fast moving film..its total timepass i give it a 3.5/5..
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Band Baaja Baraat is good, not great but good. The concept is novel, and most films on weddings sell in Bollywood (who can forget HAHK!), and add to it teenage angst and emotions and it's sure to touch a cord with today's teenagers. Worth a watch, definitely.
Thanks for your reviews and your thoughts were SPOT ON !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Angoor was based on William Shakespeare's novel "The Comedy of Errors" I hope Rohit Shetty uses his own style in interpreting the novel than taking it from Angoor
Me too thinks RS should do a good job. Also, Tushaar has been a hit only when he didnt speak. It would be a challenge and a first for him if he does a good job in a speaking role

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Its a good one time watch. A couple of foot tapping songs, decent fast paced movie with good direction. The lead pair is great imho, they get along real nice and make a good pair on screen. Acting is at par, story line while predictable, is kinda neat. I don't think we have seen any other movie where wedding is done as a business.

I felt, they should have increased star power, like the one who gives them big contract in the finale, could have been done by a senior actor, his daughter and that guy could have been played by again someone popular. that would have increased movie value a lot.

overall an enjoyable one time watch. Your better half would love it. Has a love scene so parental guidance is needed if watching with kids.
Chevelle, your a movie buff to reckon with. Your review of this movie is exactly the same as mine and was actually thinking on same lines of replacing people to increase the brand value.

Otherwise, I completely enjoyed the movie and that one song and anyone who knows punjabi language, lifestyle ( wifey is a punjabi and I am a UP wala bhayya settled in Hyd...lol ) so we completely related to those weddings. Infact, it reminded me us of ours as it took place in Delhi...without saying, my wife loved it more than I and got admonished by her that i ordered this DVD after so long. I had cancelled it three times before and had subtly replaced with an english one...lol

Ranveer Singh acted superb and for a first timer, he was awesome. Typical rough haryanvi/delhite and loved the dialect too

Anushka was simply a treat to watch and I felt the chemistry between the two was much much greater than the lacklustre chemistry that I saw between Imran Khan and Sonam Kapoor ( that stupid love story..forgot the name), Imran Khan and Genelia DeSouza etc.

As everyone said, its fast paced, unique theme and loved that one number a lot....

Definetly a must watch recommendation

3.5/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
We should start introducing coveted awards on this thread.

I recommend you should be given one for " Outstanding Patience of the year" award

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th June 2011 at 13:30.
Old 17th June 2011, 13:31   #1553
BHPian

Quote:

I was just curious to know why someone decided to make a movie based on a shape-shifting cobra (icchaadhaari nagin) in 2011.

Rohan
You are really a very very brave soul, who watched it completely and still in his senses to come and post on forum. I, for one, would definitely have ended up in mental asylum.
Old 17th June 2011, 13:56   #1554
BHPian

@mobike: hmm..so now when you liked the movie that I suggested, you suggest me a hindi/ english movie for this weekend, by the way, did you watch "pyaar ka punchnama" ?? its a must must watch..

Last edited by nick17s : 17th June 2011 at 13:56. Reason: name edited
Old 17th June 2011, 14:06   #1555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
@mobike: hmm..so now when you liked the movie that I suggested, you suggest me a hindi/ english movie for this weekend, by the way, did you watch "pyaar ka punchnama" ?? its a must must watch..
Nope, havent seen that one. Will check it out soon.

English : Blood Diamond, The Hurt Locker, Bringing Down the House, Men of Honour, Jerry Mcguire, one of my all time favorite comedies are Odd Couple-2, My Cousin Vinny, LS2SB, Snatch etc.

There is a huge list that i can recommend. Check above out, if you havent

Hindi : Phas Gaye Re Obama ( If you havent seen it already)...For Hindi, I really need to wreck my brains...Will post more when i remember.
Old 17th June 2011, 14:12   #1556
BHPian

Quote:

Rohan
Can you believe this movie was directed by Jennifer Lynch, the daughter of David Lynch, the guy who directed cult movies like Eraser Head, Mullholland Dr and Lost Highway ? This was one of the worst movies I have seen in recent times and I've seen a lot of bad movies this year .
Old 18th June 2011, 00:32   #1557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Can you believe this movie was directed by Jennifer Lynch, the daughter of David Lynch, the guy who directed cult movies like Eraser Head, Mullholland Dr and Lost Highway ? This was one of the worst movies I have seen in recent times and I've seen a lot of bad movies this year .
She disowned the film and had her name removed from the directing credits

Recently watched - Aakrosh.

Could have been a quality Priyadarshan film on the lines of Prakash Jha's police thrillers, but the very tacky ending spoiled it all. Akshaye Khanna did remarkably well, and Ajay was his usual scene-stealer self. Bipasha was a letdown. Paresh Rawal is the sole reason to watch this film if you want to.

* * ½ stars.

Kalyug.

Revisited this 80s classic after watching Rajneeti on the TV for the second time. Now I know why I prefer this more simplistic modern take on the Mahabharata instead of Rajneeti. No doubt, Rajneeti was good, but Kalyug is much, much better.

Shashi Kapoor absolutely shines in his Karna avatar. Raj Babbar and Rekha provide ample support, and with a cast that includes Kulbhushan Kharbanda, Anant Nag, Amrish Puri, etc. and direction by the ever-brilliant Shyam Benegal, Kalyug stands out as a veritable masterpiece of 80s cinema.

A must-watch recommendation from me to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

* * * * stars.
Old 18th June 2011, 08:21   #1558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, I saw the movie and totally disagree with what you said (highlighted in my quote). She never wants to collect marriage, she feels frustrated, disappointed and sad that her feeling is not mutual thus, feels its best to break of the partnership to run away from her feelings.
And how the beautiful innocent lady does it? By breaking the business they both worked hard to create in first place. Need I say anymore?
This way or that way, a guy always ends up paying for it.

Anyways lets stop discussing this chick flick. I am off to watch Gunda. Lambu Atta here I come.
Old 18th June 2011, 10:21   #1559
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " Bheja Fry-2" starring Vinay Pathak, Kay Kay Menon

Bharath Bhushan this time has really fried the brains ( no, not in a funny way but, a really annoying and irritating way).

If you liked Bheja Fry 1 ( I liked it very much but, not as much as the original " The Dinner Game" in French which was simply a masterpiece) then you will probably hate BF-2.

During entire BF-2, I may have giggled (note, not laughed) 2-3 times and that too not on a situation but, on a funny dialogue.

It's one of most boring movies that i saw in 2011. They passed of a boring movie as a comedy. Damn! took me for a sucker !

Not a single character, not a single dialogue, not a single situation will evoke a laughter.

Kay Kay Menon was a complete misfit. They should have continued with RK

Vinay Phatak was horribly irritating in this movie and couldnt stand his stupid dialogues and stupid facial expressions

Suresh Menon should get out of his southie act. He's done it a zillion times on TV and was painfully boring. He better move on in life...

Amole Gupte was wasted. Such a fine actor just hamming away to glory

I was practically watching time to get the hell out. After a while, even yawning felt more " Funny"

Save your bucks and give this one a royal miss

1/5 ( 1 just because of brilliance of original french movie)
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 10:33   #1560
Distinguished - BHPian

Bheja Fry 2- Not even close to Bheja Fry I. It surely is good for some laughs, watch only if you do not have something else to watch.

I'd rate it 2/5

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th June 2011 at 10:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks