Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2013, 10:59   #2416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post

Watched it yesterday at INOX, Forum Value Mall.
Pardon my ignorance if so, Forum value mall only had Fame Cinemas when I visited them last. Any changes??

Hearing some great reviews about the lunchbox by the way.
Old 21st September 2013, 12:02   #2417
NAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa

Pardon my ignorance if so, Forum value mall only had Fame Cinemas when I visited them last. Any changes??

Fame has been recently taken over by INOX hence the changes at Forum Value Mall and all other Fame cinemas across India.
Old 21st September 2013, 12:31   #2418
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post

Yes, all fame cinemas are now INOX due to take over.

I strongly recommend (read insist) you to watch lunch box in theater. Watching with family would be even better.
Happy viewing.
Old 21st September 2013, 15:26   #2419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post

Yes, all fame cinemas are now INOX due to take over.

I strongly recommend (read insist) you to watch lunch box in theater. Watching with family would be even better.
Happy viewing.

Big fish eating small fish yet again. I was fed up of PVR and INOX due to high ticket prices, locations in crowded malls and no customer service. Cinemax and Fame brought a nice fresh air of change. Both have now been taken over by PVR and INOX respectively :(
Old 23rd September 2013, 14:50   #2420
Distinguished - BHPian

Last weekend completed a hatrick of watching movies after many years, i repeated this feat

Phata Poster Nikla Hero
I went for this movie purely for reason of Raj Kumar Santoshi directing it and except for the slapstick comedy of Andaz Apna Apna, he made some nice movies which were pretty mature and went well with the audience.
This movie is taking the slaptick misnomer to a different league altogether which is taking the cliched dialogues, humour of yesteryears and packing unwanted action to package it as a movie.

The entire movie falls flat due to illogical direction, screenplay, dialogues and action.

Shahid Kapoor overacts and makes stupid facial expressions for no reason throughout the movie and was getting on my nerves. Never was a fan of him and this movie sealed the deal for me. His smile is the most fake smile in bollywood, IMO

Illeana has a gruff voice and seems lost in the m'elange and was not convincing at all

Padmini Kolaphur looked nice even at this age and blurts out 80's dialogues in this movie. At one point, she become irritating with her penchant of making her son into a police officer.

Rest of the characters are the usual folks who are there in all Raj Kumar Santoshi movies and everyone of them overacted and hammed away to glory.

It was like a bunch of kids making a movie together.

Avoid at all costs

1/5

Lunchbox
A lovely, sublte and makes you want to beileve story of a lunchbox from the famed dabbawala going to a wrong person and an involuntary love story taking place via the exchange of letters between an old about to retire govt employee with a bored housewife whose husband is too busy to take care of her.

Irfann Khan yet again excels in this role with his lovely experessions and restrained acting.

Nimrat Kaur as the newbie was excellent in her potrayal and is the main reason you should see this movie

Nawazuddin Siddique as a pesky, brightly voiced assistant to Irfan will make you smile and love him to core. He is turning out to be a fantastic actor

Overall a slow, scene by scene movie with long shots on each individual/object but, you will not get bored even for a single minute of of 110 minutes movie.

Go watch it for a different cinematic experience and for a situation that is quite possible in anybody's life.

P.S: Ending was a bit abrupt. Anyone really understood how it actually ended?

4/5
Old 23rd September 2013, 15:40   #2421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I agree, loved the movie. It is a movie for mature audience. Not sleazy and handled very well.
I agree with most of the comments on BA Pass. But the ending made me depressed.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th September 2013 at 13:42. Reason: Hi athanedar, I have edited your post to remove any spoilers.
Old 23rd September 2013, 15:55   #2422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Lunchbox
..P.S: Ending was a bit abrupt. Anyone really understood how it actually ended?...
Isn't that something left back for you to think about after the movie? :P I don't want to comment and spoil it for everyone by posting my view about it.
Old 23rd September 2013, 16:44   #2423
BHPian

Lunchbox: A very detailed and beautifully crafted movie for the discerning movie buff.
Watch it for the lead actors, mainly Irrfan, who make you believe in their story.
Thankfully this movie has got a good marketing push and most people have heard about it so I hope it makes a lot of money too.

Don't miss it, I promise it will satiate you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
P.S: Ending was a bit abrupt. Anyone really understood how it actually ended?
They haven't kept it definite. You are free to sum it up on your own. And that's the magic of this movie, it stay's with you.
I tried to come up with reasons for what I thought would happen and then decided that I'd stick with the one my heart agreed to.
PS. I guess it's made a romantic out of me
Old 23rd September 2013, 16:52   #2424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Isn't that something left back for you to think about after the movie? :P I don't want to comment and spoil it for everyone by posting my view about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygeetee View Post
They haven't kept it definite. You are free to sum it up on your own. And that's the magic of this movie, it stay's with you
True, its supposedly artistic to close a movie in that style and is becoming a phenomena too common offlate especially in newbie directors.

I would have preferred an explicit ending (preferably a favaroble one )
Old 28th September 2013, 11:58   #2425
BHPian

Has anyone watched Maazii? Any reviews? I have read some great reviews from the critics.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/maazii-re...4991-8-66.html

Even though low budget and with a new star cast, I think I will go watch it today over the Supermodel,Warning, Shudh Desi Romance, Grand Masti, Phata Poster Nikla Hero crap thats playing this week.

Will keep you posted.
Old 30th September 2013, 09:17   #2426

The Good Road

Finally managed to watch this movie during the weekend. After hearing soo much about it and the India's Oscar entry, could not stay away from it.
It is a really good movie and being a Gujarati it was not a problem for me to understand the language. Though rest of audience may have to manage with the subtitles which according to me are not that effective.

The plot is quite nicely crafted, the Rann of Kutch is shown excellently and the situation that the director has created in the movie is also worth laudable. Not amazed that this movie scored well above the Lunchbox mainly because of the plot, the scenic, the concept and hardcore native gujarati language (Trust me, some characters speak very rural gujarati which might be difficult for an Urbane to understand).

My rating would be 4 stars. Half extra star for the beautiful Rann of Kutch.
Old 30th September 2013, 12:18   #2427
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzoomer View Post
The Good Road

Finally managed to watch this movie during the weekend. After hearing soo much about it and the India's Oscar entry, could not stay away from it.
It is a really good movie and being a Gujarati it was not a problem for me to understand the language. Though rest of audience may have to manage with the subtitles which according to me are not that effective.

The plot is quite nicely crafted, the Rann of Kutch is shown excellently and the situation that the director has created in the movie is also worth laudable. Not amazed that this movie scored well above the Lunchbox mainly because of the plot, the scenic, the concept and hardcore native gujarati language (Trust me, some characters speak very rural gujarati which might be difficult for an Urbane to understand).

My rating would be 4 stars. Half extra star for the beautiful Rann of Kutch.
That's all fine, but as India's entry to the Oscars, it has zero chance to even get nominated.

What needs to be understood here is that the Oscars are as much about lobbying as about content, something which Aamir Khan understood, which got Lagaan till the final five in the Oscar race.

Karan Johar, The Lunchbox's producer, would have gone all out and pumped money at a similar scale to lobby for a nomination. Not to mention Irrfan Khan's familiar face (better known in the US than even SRK), which would have doubled our chances of atleast securing a final nomination. Sadly, our film regulatory authorities seem to have no clue at all about all this.

A real golden chance lost I would say.
Old 30th September 2013, 12:44   #2428
Senior - BHPian

Watched The Lunchbox yesterday. The movie is wonderfully made and the actors make it believable. It brought the memories of another wonderful movie, The Raincoat.

Since the time I saw Nimrat Kaur in that Cadbury Silk ad, I was convinced that she's a brilliant actress. This movie just reinforces the belief. May Bollywood make more such movies to showcase such talent.

Irfann Khan is good as usual. But I feel he acts the same way in all his movies, like a absent minded person. I strongly feel that he should experiment more with the way he portrays his roles.

Nawazuddin Siddique, on the other hand, is doing great with his roles. This role is totally different from what he had done in Gangs of Wasseypur. And the fact that he carried both of them with conviction, stands testimony to his talent.
Old 30th September 2013, 13:41   #2429
BHPian

So lobbying makes a movie oscar worthy and not the content. Well said so all the good movies without lobbying power should not be selected for oscars.
Old 30th September 2013, 13:51   #2430
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Lunchbox. For me, not an outstanding stuff...just okay one time watch. Performances are very good, esp. Irfan Khan who has a knack to excel in off beat roles but we would like to see him coming out his comfort zone. His roles are mostly on same lines as said by a member earlier: like an absent minded person. Nawazuddin Siddique has acted brilliantly.

2.5/5

Watched Bhaag Milkha Bhaag last week which is much better. Farhan Akhtar's performance is power packed and shows how he has matured as an actor from Rock on times. Excellent movie. Worthy to add in your collection.

Rating it 4.5/5; deducting 0.5 for one or two songs which were not required in the movie.

Last edited by saket77 : 30th September 2013 at 13:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks