Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2009, 12:13   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
any review of Love Aaj Kal?

i am planning to go and watch it some 150 miles away from my place. so need to make sure the money is well spent

reviews appreciated before i take the plunge
That is something, going 150 miles for a movie. Btw, which theatre is it which is 150 miles away from you place?
Old 31st July 2009, 12:26   #242
Team-BHP Support

So you are driving all the way to San Jose/Freemont for this movie! Make sure you book in advance if you decide to watch it, because Freemont theaters often go house full
Old 31st July 2009, 12:49   #243
BHPian

Here's a review by indiafm.com

Love Aaj Kal : Movie Review by Taran Adarsh
Old 31st July 2009, 13:35   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
That is a positive review.
Also TOI today gave it 4 stars.
Thank god cos my evening show for tomm' has been booked yesterday only
Old 31st July 2009, 14:41   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So you are driving all the way to San Jose/Freemont for this movie! Make sure you book in advance if you decide to watch it, because Freemont theaters often go house full
I think there are some theaters that play hindi movies near Sacramento too. Though for me, Friday night 10:00pm show of Love Aaj Kal at Fremont is booked
Old 1st August 2009, 01:02   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
That is something, going 150 miles for a movie. Btw, which theatre is it which is 150 miles away from you place?
the nearest one is 20 miles away(one way) in Elk Grove. But its not showing love aaj kal. Another one is Naaz theatre in fremont which is around 65 to 75 miles away from my place(one way).

i watched dostana there and as tanveer said, must book in advance. will be doing that.

i read taran's review and indiatimes's review on thursday itself, but those are a bit too commercial. wanted reviews from viewers and not from critics

stratos, awaiting your review for the same. we are planning for sunday evening show. lets see how it works out
Old 1st August 2009, 01:34   #247
Senior - BHPian

I just saw the film. Once the movie starts, you get confused as hell. Whats happening? Seen Saif in too many similar roles. If you are not paying attention, you might loose the plot temporarily but then its a Hindi flick, you'll get there eventually.

The past and the current run concurrently and it takes you time to guess who the Surd Saif represents. I have seen many actors portray Surds and i think, Salman and Saif dont do justice to the role. The body language is just not there as is present in Akshay or Sunny. Well at least they are not making fun of us anymore.

Once you get a grip on the plot, it moves along smoothly. The film is sensitive as the director's earlier films but not a patch on them (Socha Na Tha and Jab We Met, both brilliant works). Rishi Kapoor is getting to be his endearing self again in character roles too. Id love to see him as Santa.......... Klaus not Singh. He would do justice to that role too.

The film moves from the past to the present and from one era to another, from one couple to another. It was not overtly mushy (i would have hated it then) but i guess something was missing.

Hummable songs with two possible hits or chart busters. The picturisation could have been better but then Saif was dancing and one does not need lessons in Rocket Scince to know he has two left feet and no Rhythm. Saif, dont do a dancing number in any film again.

Deepika Padukone has something very local about her. He looks great but somehow has a "Bai" effect around her. Maybe its her dialogue delivery but see cannot look glamorous or classy. Pretty, yes, sexy, no.
The new girl who is paired opp the Surd Saif looks very fresh, pretty and plain jane beautiful, again glamorous... no but her role never required that. She looks the part of a Surd girl from a conservative family. Till now, Surds were shown as the ridicule element in almost every film. Dharmendra starred as one in Jeevan Mrityu and changed that. What really did the trick was Akshay in Singh Is King, from then on every hero wanted to play a Surd.
I hope they stop portraying Surds as loud people who wanna fight at the drop of a hat and can only yell. The time will come.

On the whole a sweet film, must watch once.
Old 1st August 2009, 10:16   #248
Senior - BHPian

Love Aaj Kal

Saif's 1st production starts off at a frentic pace and before you finish saying Love Aaj Kal you hit the interval. Basically about a yuppie guy who doesn't think much about love and how he realises his true love - with a little help from a friendly Sardarji (Rishi Kapoor) and his girl friend Deepika (not Rishi Kapoor's. Saif's ).

The 2nd half settles down nicely and has a couple of nice emotional scenes. But the depth , the soul is missing in the movie. You will catch glimpses of Hum Tum, DDLJ, and various other movies.

Saif can do this act of the yuppie who doesn't believe in love with his eyes closed and it feels like deja vu but as the young sardar he rocks , he is superb as the sardar I felt maybe because it was a way different character from what he has been doing. Deepika perfoms ok and Rishi Kapoor is solid as usual.

The Yeh Dooriyan is one superb track ( a pity it's right at the beginning) and the other songs are so-so.

The 1st half will leave you all confused with the super fast pace and crisp (too crisp infact) editing. It doesn't allow the viewer to actually grasp the scene before the next scene is half way through. It might work in an action movie but here it doesn't. Leaves you all dazed but the 2nd half almost makes up for it. But as I said, there is something missing - the Soul , the Feel and that makes this movie an ordinary one instead of a good one.

And coming after Jab We Met for the director, comparisons are going to happen.

Verdict - 2.5/5
Watch it once but do not expect a class act like Jab We Met.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 1st August 2009 at 10:19.
Old 1st August 2009, 10:45   #249
BHPian

@gogiji: as the biggest overseas market for Hindi movies is made up off NRI Punjabi’s, and you don't want to offend your biggest consumer.

Also there have been a huge reduction in the portrayal of various communities; guess the Satellite Television and the internet have been a huge factor in the everyone more sensitive to each other.

Coming to the movie, I enjoyed it; Deepika looks the part of a modern girl. Saif is brilliant, especially where he gets his dream job, and from ecstatic to despair, that part has been done very well. Rishi Kapoor is the Sachai in the movie. Great to see him, most under rated actor.
Old 1st August 2009, 19:10   #250
Senior - BHPian

Saw Love Aaj Kal.

I loved the movie, the movie moves pretty fast in first half & skips on most of the scenes which we have seen 100s of times. Hats of to the director as anyone else would have made 3.5 hours of movie out of this story while he did it in just 2 hours.

Saif was Fresh I feel he should do more films. Deepika looked like she is playing the same role that she played in Bachna Aae Haseeno. Rishi was great as usual. The new girl has fresh looks even though she hardly has any dialogues & acting is ok types.

My rating 4/5
Old 1st August 2009, 21:49   #251
BHPian

ok...so deepika doesnt end up with saif? the previews of the movie have me all confused!
Old 2nd August 2009, 01:37   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
ok...so deepika doesnt end up with saif? the previews of the movie have me all confused!
She ends up with him only and the only poor soul left is rahul khanna.
I saw it yesterday and my review is a copy of NC's review.
Rating is same too - 2.5/5

I will recommend to skip it and watch at home.
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:45   #253
Senior - BHPian

just saw Love Aaj Kal.

a good one time watch. as with all Imtiaz Ali's earlier movie, this movie's main characters are also a confused lot as to whom they love.

songs are very good. loved some foot tapping numbers.

3/5
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:44   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
as with all Imtiaz Ali's earlier movie, this movie's main characters are also a confused lot as to whom they love.

3/5
So are you telling me this :

Socha na thaa Jab we met, love aaj kal hoga ki nahin ?
Old 4th August 2009, 01:41   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
So are you telling me this :

Socha na thaa Jab we met, love aaj kal hoga ki nahin ?
in all three movies its like, jab we met, socha na tha ki love aaj kal hoga ki nai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks