Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2014, 09:19   #2671
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Mary Kom reviews please. Is it worth our 122 minutes?
You bet it is . Nice movie, worth a watch once. I don't like Priyanka Chopra either, yet her performance in this flick is excellent.

Would give the movie an overall rating of 3.9 / 5 (not 4, but nearly there).
Old 12th September 2014, 21:30   #2672
BHPian

Today saw " Finding Fanny " in a theater with wifey. I hardly see movies in theaters, so took her by surprise by advance booking the tickets. Now on the movie:

This movie is not for everyone. No loud music, easy and simple movie ( the way I like it) and might be a tad slow for many. If you like Basu Chatterjee or Hrishikesh Mukherjee movies particularly the non comic ones then you should see the movie. Every one's acting is excellent. I loved Pankaj Kapoor in this, Naseeruddin Shah is superb as always, Deepika is slowly entering into the league of great heroines (She looks mind blowing with the flowery frocks ) and Arjun Kapoor fits into the character nicely. Hard to see Dimple aunty in the fatty avatar but otherwise she is excellent. Cinematography is perfect and every team-bhpian would definitely like the restored car.

So I liked it. My rating is 3.5/5
Old 15th September 2014, 02:02   #2673
BHPian

Even I watched 'Finding Fanny' today. A nice, light-hearted movie. However, didn't find the Hindi dubbing up to the mark.
Would give 3/5 for the Hindi dubbed version.
Old 15th September 2014, 12:10   #2674
BHPian

For those in Mumbai, preferring to watch cinematic classics, beautiful foreign films or just are sick of the typical masala bollywood flicks, there is a good alternative in the form of Matterden CFC which showcases better options as listed below. I watched three films in the last couple of months; Children of Heaven (Persian), Charlie Chaplin - The Kid & The Killing.

Further schedule:

19 Sept – 25 Sept
12 Angry Men – By Sidney Lumet, Starring Henry Fonda
26 Sept – 02 Oct
Pather Panchali – A film by Satyajit Ray
03 Oct – 09 Oct
Hamlet – by Lawrence Olivier
10 Oct – 16 Oct
Beyond all Boundaries - A film about 2011 Cricket world cup produced and narrated by The Big Bang Theory fame Kunal Nayyar. Directed by Sushrut Jain
17 Oct – 23 Oct
Wild Strawberries – Directed by Ingmar Bergman
24 Oct – 30 Oct
The Silent Films - Raja Harishchandra, Trip to the moon, An Andalusian Dog, Sherlock Jr.
31 Oct – 6 November
Nainsukh by Amit Dutta

http://www.matterden.com/

The screenings happen at the renovated Deepak Cinema at Lower Parel, usually on Sundays.

Tickets are priced reasonably to 100 to 150. Highly recommended.
Old 15th September 2014, 13:24   #2675
BHPian

Finding Fanny - This movie is set in a village in Goa. The villages in Goa are under-rated, but this movie will likely increase village exploration in Goa.
The 5 actors in the movie, the car and the cat compete and compliment each other well throughout.
Pankaj Kapoor and N Shah have done a fanstastic job. So has Dimple kapadia. I am pretty sure no one is going to complain about the need for a Goan actor playing a Goan character in this movie. Deepika's character is confused, but is the sanest of the lot. A boat at the right place and time always helps in Goa and this has been pointed out pretty well.

The editing could have been a tad better, there are some loose ends which could have been tied up better. Worth a watch. I give it ***1/2 . The 1/2 for locations and short road trip.

Last edited by watfor : 15th September 2014 at 13:26.
Old 15th September 2014, 14:58   #2676
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

"Finding Fanny"

I watched this along with my wife on friday. The casting is perfect with Naseer, Pankaj Kapoor, Dimple Kapadia, Deepika Padukone and Arjun Kapoor playing their respective roles with commitment.

Special mention to Naseer who has absolutely lived the role or Ferdie. Pankaj Kapoor goes overboard sometimes.

Nice scenic goa with the Dodge Plymouth getting the most footage amongst all characters

3.5/5 - Not a two time watch but throughly enjoyable.
Old 15th September 2014, 23:33   #2677
Senior - BHPian

Finding Fanny

Pretty average script line with no punch, seemed like either some veteran was desperate to make this script or a newbie was given a chance.

Just because you have big stars doesn't make a mediocre script a great one. Dont get me wrong, performances by the cast is brilliant but its because who they are.
Make the same movie with average character actors & views will change.

Its hard to believe that a brilliant movie like 'Being Cyrus' was by same director.

2/5
Old 16th September 2014, 22:05   #2678
vdi
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Finding Fanny

Pretty average script line with no punch, seemed like either some veteran was desperate to make this script or a newbie was given a chance.

Just because you have big stars doesn't make a mediocre script a great one. Dont get me wrong, performances by the cast is brilliant but its because who they are.
Make the same movie with average character actors & views will change.

Its hard to believe that a brilliant movie like 'Being Cyrus' was by same director.

2/5
Completely agree with you. It was so boring and I don't know how they got such great reviews. All paid it seems.

Last edited by vdi : 16th September 2014 at 22:15. Reason: added a word :)
Old 19th September 2014, 02:39   #2679
Senior - BHPian

Pizza

Nice and interesting movie.
Keeps the twist and plot covered till the last 10 mins.
One time watch. Not much of horror scenes, but nicely executed.
Old 20th September 2014, 01:05   #2680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Finding Fanny

Pretty average script line with no punch, seemed like either some veteran was desperate to make this script or a newbie was given a chance....
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi View Post
Completely agree with you. It was so boring and I don't know how they got such great reviews. All paid it seems.
So I am NOT the ONLY one! I even felt so sleepy at some point of time. The movie didn't have that "soul" to keep you glued. It's a strict one time watch if you ask me.
Old 20th September 2014, 10:15   #2681
Distinguished - BHPian

Bobby Jasoos: Waste of 2 hours of your time. The film loses its plot and just tries to connect emotionally during its abrupt, forceful ending. Actors are just fine, but the direction is not upto the mark. Even as a viewer, you can failing keeping up with sub-plots. Songs were unnecessary in the movie and have been forcefully packed in the package. Overall rating 2/5.
Old 20th September 2014, 11:38   #2682
Senior - BHPian

Mary Kom : A very good movie. Very much portrays how athletes and sportsmen struggle through their lives with very little funding towards their sport. Cricket has taken too much of our time & money, other sports definitely deserve ALOT more.

As a movie, if Bhaag Milkha Bhaag was 5/5, this was a well deserved 3.5/5.

Also, IMO women need to be portrayed ALOT more for their strengths rather than being objectified. SoI'll change that to a final score of 4/5 for this movie.

Finding Fanny
: Even if the acting was good, just because of the script & screenplay this was one of the boring movies I've seen off late. Half my Thursday evening down the drain. 1.5/5.
Old 22nd September 2014, 08:54   #2683
Senior - BHPian

Watched Mardaani.

I would say an OK movie, Rani mukherji in a la kiran bedi did justice to her role in bits and peices but exxagerated in a few scenes. The villian's acting was a surprise. The best part was the movie didnt have any songs (or rather it wasnt in the copy which i saw). The social message at the end was as expected.

Rating: 2.5/5
Old 22nd September 2014, 16:11   #2684
Distinguished - BHPian

Finding Fanny

It had an excellent starcast and some amazing cinematography and showed Goa like never before. Infact, this is the real goa not the beaches and fun stuff that is normally shown in other movies. Loved this part of goa very much. Quitessential and simple

Acting by all of the starcast was quite good with Naseer and Pankaj actually standing above everyone else. Loved Naseer for his childish act (his act was true to the saying men become like child in old age) and flamboyant act of Pankaj. Everyone else was just fine and music was also heart rendering

What failed in this movie was the script and length. It just failed to grab attention and bored us at most places

This is a decent one time watch and if you miss it, no harm too

2/5

Dawaat-E-Ishq

This movie was so breezy, entertaining and full of fervor that we never knew when the 2 hours ( yeah, perfect length too) were over. Amazing mix of food and love story ( I think this can be probably the first such story woven so perfectly) and Parineeti practically stole the show.

Her acting, hyderabadi accent was almost perfect and she was ably supported by Anupam Kher.

I was actually surprised by Aditya Kapur as he acted fantastic, looked great and his expressions were a treat to watch.

Go watch this as we thoroughly enjoyed this light hearted movie with some great kebabs, biryani and nalli ka ghost thrown in

4/5
Old 29th September 2014, 14:09   #2685
Distinguished - BHPian

Khoobsurat

It's a light movie somewhat comparable to Dawaat-e-Ishq in terms of overall treatment of the movie but, DEI is way way better than this movie

Sonam Kapoor is a bubbly physiotherapist who goes to a royal family to help the head of the family recuperate from paralysis and falls in love with the prince

Sonam Kapoor is irritating to the core. Just huge meaningless grins in the name of acting and looks tall, gangly and very awkward. Her supposedly fashion diva avatar is so made up

Fawad Khan is strong, silent and makes a lovely entry into Bollywood. I liked him. Got a great voice and good diction too

Ratna Pathak Shah as the queen steals the show with her fabulous acting

All other actors support ably. But, for me it was just an average movie and wouldnt have minded missing it but for the family

2.5/5

Most Viewed