Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2015, 00:47   #2806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
BTW, i am looking forward to ABCD2. Dances look really promising. And thumbrule is that dance movies dont have stories. ;-)
Errr, why waste 300 bucks at a movie hall when you see all those common dance moves in dances shows on 4 different TV channels during the entire year ? !!

I have on a whole pre-rejected to watch any Indian dance movies because of the above reason :-D
Old 21st June 2015, 06:21   #2807
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
BTW, i am looking forward to ABCD2. Dances look really promising. And thumbrule is that dance movies dont have stories. ;-)
But the climax is always the same: the hero's team participates in a major competition and wins.
Old 22nd June 2015, 17:39   #2808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Double LOL !!! :-D

Feelings is the last emotion when it comes to movie reviews/opinions. Absolutely no need to apologise.

Infact no one should take any movie reviews seriously. You never know who will like which movie. Some really s****y movies have made 100 crores plus. Some nonsense dances have won Best Choreography Awards and so on and so forth.

LOL, was just trying to pull some legs . Nowadays I kinda try to not watch bollywood movies at theaters but was kinda forced to watch this one (TWMR) and I was like what all these hype about. Most probably I would've liked it more if they haven't tried the emotional stuff at the end and instead carry on with the out and out comedy like the first half.
Anyway, ABCD2, may be only for Shraddha Kapur, she is very cute.
Old 24th July 2015, 20:54   #2809
Senior - BHPian

"Bajrangi Bhaijaan" is a refreshingly endearing movie on Indo-Pak relations.

Something like "Henna".

Great entertainment .

Second half of the movie is better than the first half.

Strongly recommended by me.

Harshaali is a cutie pie.

Nawaz is endearing.

Salman is a true superstar here.

Watch it on the big screen.

rating: 6 on 5 !

Last edited by vinay kamath : 24th July 2015 at 20:56.
Old 26th July 2015, 09:21   #2810
BHPian

Watched Masaan, last Saturday, with a chance to interact with director and crew in Bangalore.

Poetically pictured, takes you you through journey of how small towns are changing, folks being more ambitious than ever.

Journey of love, despair and hope to move on..

Varanasi has been captured brilliantly.

I would recommend you to give it a chance and you wont be disappointed.

Its not run of mill movie.

Rating: 4/5
Old 31st July 2015, 01:20   #2811
Team-BHP Support

Drishyam

This movie is based on a book, which I suspect is not very popular. I prefer not naming that book right now, lest it acts as a spoiler for someone.

The concept of the book (and the movie) is such that it comes out beautifully in the book but I am not sure if it did in the movie. It definitely worked for me, but I am waiting for comments from bhpians who see the movie without having read the book.

For me, and I think it was because of the book, Drishyam = 4 stars.

- Brilliant acting from Ajay Devgan, Tabu & Rajat Kapur. Absolutely horrible acting by the female lead whose name I don't know.

- The song Dum Ghutta Hai is very nice.

- The first half is a bit of a drag, but the second half more than makes up for it.

From the mood of the junta leaving the hall, I don't think the movie's going to get strong word of mouth publicity. But I loved it
Old 31st July 2015, 01:55   #2812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_hc View Post
Watched Masaan, last Saturday, with a chance to interact with director and crew in Bangalore.

Poetically pictured, takes you you through journey of how small towns are changing, folks being more ambitious than ever.

Journey of love, despair and hope to move on..

Varanasi has been captured brilliantly.

I would recommend you to give it a chance and you wont be disappointed.

Its not run of mill movie.

Rating: 4/5
Thanks for the review mate, I am really looking forward to watching this movie. The production designer (ranjit) is quite a good friend of mine so it's great to see the movie being appreciated.
Old 31st July 2015, 05:19   #2813
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Drishyam

This movie is based on a book, which I suspect is not very popular. I prefer not naming that book right now, lest it acts as a spoiler for someone.

- Brilliant acting from Ajay Devgan, Tabu & Rajat Kapur. Absolutely horrible acting by the female lead whose name I don't know.
Drishyam, which started out as a Malayalam movie starring Mohanlal was a big hit. It then went on to be remade in other South Indian languages as well, doing equally well.

With regards to the herione, Shreya Saran, we already had a discussion on this choice of actor in the Regional movies thread, and how she is a misfit in the cast. Guess they wanted to have some pretty face in there, being a Bollywood movie.
Old 31st July 2015, 17:18   #2814
Team-BHP Support

Bajrangi Bhaijaan - 4/5

Not a fan of Salman but the cute little girl and Nawazuddin Siddiqui stole the show. A good mix of humor + emotions + patriotism + action I say. Siddiqui is truly a multi-faceted and a talented actor - this guy will go a long way for sure.

Trivia: The story of Bajrangi Bhaijaan is by K. V. Vijayendra Prasad, father of S. S. Rajamouli who directed Baahubali. Baahubali's story was also penned by the same guy.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st July 2015 at 19:52. Reason: Typo.
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:47   #2815
Lij
BHPian

Watched a short film on YouTube named "Bypass", cast has Nawazuddin Siddiqui and Irfan Khan. There are no dialogues, but the acting, direction and background score is very strong. Its a freaking awesome short film that will grip you for 15-20 minutes it runs. A must watch I would say.
Old 5th August 2015, 11:57   #2816
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Drishyam

For me, and I think it was because of the book, Drishyam = 4 stars.

- The song Dum Ghutta Hai is very nice.

- The first half is a bit of a drag, but the second half more than makes up for it.
I saw this movie over the weekend and I was suitably impressed with the overall movie and after a long time, there is a suspense thriller that gives you a sense of satisfaction

Iam not sure but, I think there is a James Hadley Chase novel also with similar premise as the story sounded slightly familiar

Ajay Devg as usual was fantastic and is a master at restrained acting

Shriya Saran was simply horrible and her dialogue delivery was absolutely horrifying....God knows why hire such actresses when there is no dearth of good ones

Tabu was also nice and I was more impressed with Rajat Kapoor ( met him once in Goa and had a long conversation with him )

I think one character that stood out in entire movie is "Giatonde" the cop was very impressive and he should be given more such roles in future. Was absolutely flawless in his acting

Overall, its a 2.45 Hour movie with first part being slightly a drag but, nevertheless the time flew and kept us engrossed.

I would recommend this movie highly for folks who like suspense thrillers

4/5
Old 24th August 2015, 11:02   #2817
Senior - BHPian

BAHUBALI Rating: 3.5-4/5

What a spectacular movie ! Except two totally useless songs, the entire movie is really a grand spectacle. The war sequences are breathtaking, gripping and innovative. Bahubali's simple but interesting idea to beat the enemy is a steal.

Bahubali's climb to the top of 'Jal Parbat' (Water mountain) is outstandingly shot and picturised. The visual effects and CGI are just too good for an Indian movie. All those who have watched THE LORD OF THE RINGS can very much relate (compare?) the setup. However, you will not be disappointed. There are resembling characters from LOTR in Bahubali like KATAPPA - GANDOLF, Kalakeya- ORKS, etc..The Mahishmati kingdom is fantastically shot and the set design is top notch. Its obviously a mix of CGI and real sets, but its mostly seamless.

The sound effects, background score and the music ( except two unwanted songs), is great too. One of the most memorable soundtrack is when the camera moves through the Mahishmati kingdom and its palaces, grounds, gardens. Kudos to the sound department.

Ofcourse, there are some silly flaws, but they are negligible, given the whole lot of positives of the movie. Go watch it in theaters. Its a must watch !!!
Old 3rd September 2015, 19:54   #2818
Team-BHP Support

Drishyam - 3/5

Shriya Saran as a mother of two, just wouldn't fit the role! Tabu and Rajat Kapoor did their parts very well. Ajay Devgan was good too. As usual, the cop deserves credit. In the Malayalam version, Kalabhavan Shajon who played the role was absolutely brutal! I would love to see how Kalabhavan Mani did it in Papanasam (recall his cop role in Ayalum Njanum Thammil!). Pretty sure he'd have outplayed these guys. Will catch up shortly.
Old 4th September 2015, 20:53   #2819
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Back Rating: 2/5 (Please avoid)

What a waste of talent ( and money and time and good locations and this and that... )

Movie gets two rating from me, one for Anil Kapoor and one for Nana Patekar.

Otherwise, the movie is an utter non-sense. Original Welcome movie was quite hilarious and had some original one liners and of-course Akshay Kumar. I am really wondering why would legendary actor like Naseeruddin Shah do a (s***) role like this. Music is trash ! John Abrahim is too loud and out of place in this movie. Dimple Kapadia...anyways...
Old 7th September 2015, 08:46   #2820
Senior - BHPian

Phantom Rating: 3/5 (Strictly one time viewing only)

Same old cliched story of India vs Pak but told with a slightly different tune. This time its India who is on the offensive. The story telling was slick and had me hooked for the good half part but after wards it becomes a regular movie. The movie loses the grip and then drags. The climax was a la Titanic.

Dont know why Katrina is a choice for such movies, she cannot act nor do stunt. Saif Ali Khan's heroics were the only saving face for the movie. All in all an Okayish movie.

Most Viewed