Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2017, 06:55   #3001
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Amdavad ma Famous / Famous in Ahmedabad : 4/5

For those who have had the luxury of experiencing Uttrayan in Gujarat, this movie is a wonderful re-cap of the festival through the eyes of a young kid. Award winning documentary, this is available on netflix; so take some time; and give this movie a watch!

Would have given 5 stars, but the second half becomes a bit of of a drag; focusing more on the boy's situation than the festival. But otherwise a beautiful movie about a beautiful festival.

P.s. If you haven't yet experienced this festival, you are missing one of the two best things this state can offer (the other being Navratri )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
Saw Dhanak (Rainbow) - a film by Nagesh Kukunoor. Such a sweet movie. A story of two siblings in rural Rajasthan, their road journey from a small village to far off Jaisalmer, and their encounters with different kinds of people form the crux of the film. The film revels in helping us the see the world through the eyes of those two kids and consistently maintains it throughout the movie.

Dont have any idea on how it performed at the box office, but just wish that such genuine efforts are appreciated by more people.
+1 to that. And the Dum-a-Dum mast kalandar re-do; that was beautiful.

Yes, movies like these need a more better acceptance. I doubt it did really good at the box office; considering it came onto netflix pretty fast.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 13th February 2017 at 06:58.
Old 18th February 2017, 11:14   #3002
Senior - BHPian

Any reviews of Jolly-llb 2?
Old 18th February 2017, 11:30   #3003
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Any reviews of Jolly-llb 2?
2.5/5. The first part was very good with a story, punches and witty screenplay. The second part suffers from the usual bollywood problem where they try to make a movie around a star and not an actor. Hence from a low budget but amazing movie, the second part has become a big production house star power movie. Akshay can't match Arshad Warsi in his comic timing. And Anu Kapoor is no match for the brilliant Boman Irani. The only saving grace for me was Saurabh Shukla as the judge ( continued from part 1).
Old 19th February 2017, 10:09   #3004
BHPian

Watched Jolly LLB2.
3.5/5
I liked the movie overall. Acting by all the actors including the side ones is great. Some of the punches are really nice and will make us laugh.
Glad the movie had only one song.
I particularly disliked the arguments put up by Anu Kapoor in front of the judge. They were rather baseless i felt.

Overall a nice and one of the better bollywood film IMO.
Old 19th February 2017, 10:19   #3005
Team-BHP Support

Very interested in watching The Ghazi Attack. If someone has seen, please post the review.

And I know I am a couple of years late, but finally managed to see The Gangs of Wasseypur movies. Brilliant !!
Old 28th February 2017, 10:42   #3006
BHPian

Saw Ghazi yesterday in a, very surprisingly, almost houseful show on a Monday night. A very tight movie barring the last 10 minutes. Tense and gripping, a low budget war movie made right. It is only let down by one weak performance amongst other better actors and a weird end that betrays the tone of the movie preceding it. Still, a solid one time watch.

I'm not a history buff quite unlike my kid brother, and this got me very interested in the geo politics of the '71 war. We spent the next hour or so discussing quite a bit about it.
Old 28th February 2017, 13:59   #3007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Very interested in watching The Ghazi Attack. If someone has seen, please post the review.

And I know I am a couple of years late, but finally managed to see The Gangs of Wasseypur movies. Brilliant !!
Saw it yesterday.. really good. Quite unlike the usual bollywood flicks we are used too. Do watch it.
Old 2nd March 2017, 00:23   #3008
Senior - BHPian

Three Movies-Kaabil, Raees and The Ghazi Attack

1) Kaabil : Story is different from usual Bollywood movies. Hritik in my view does a class act. Rohit and Ronit Roy were amazing too. Was involving movie to watch. Narendra Jha plays his act well. Good watch.

2) Raees : Nawazuddin was star of the movie. Nobody else. Narendra Jha uses his voice and skill quite well. Shahrukh Khan did as expected, but may be the expectation out of him increased. What is most impressive : The story itself. Lots of dots to be connected, if one looks for it IMO. Watch it for Nawazuddin's excellent acting.

3) The Ghazi Attack : Atul Kulkarni shines quite well. A must watch, but somehow the I couldn't feel intensity expected out of a war movie. Still, its something new for Bollywood and it does depict a proud moment for Indian Navy.

In Raees and The Ghazi Attack, the lead actor didn't impress me as much as other actors did.
Old 2nd March 2017, 14:29   #3009
BHPian

Watched Kaabil and Jolly LLB 2.

1. Kaabil (3/5) : A very watchable movie with a different story and execution. Hritik is good. It is basically only his movie. Drags in some parts but makes it up in the end.

2. Jolly LLB 2 (3.5/5) : Again a well made movie. I haven't watched the first one so I had no reference or previous story to compare this movie. Good job by Akshay and his assistant lawyer also puts in a good effort. Annu Kapoor is over the top and sometimes is unbearable. The end is rather sudden. Special mention to Saurabh Shukla for a nice performance.
Old 2nd March 2017, 14:34   #3010
Team-BHP Support

I went in for Ghazi Attack with high expectations but did not like it too much. 3 Stars only.

I expected much more from the cast, don't think they acted to their potential.
Old 2nd March 2017, 17:19   #3011
Oxy
BHPian

Anybody watched Rangoon?
Old 2nd March 2017, 17:35   #3012
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Anybody watched Rangoon?
Wondering why nobody asked this question till now

Rangoon

It's a beautiful love story set in the British occupation of Mynamar (now Burma/Rangoon) whereas most of the shooting was done in Arunachal Pradesh with bits and part in Mynamar

It's breathtaking landscape and photography is enough to make the movie a paisa vasool. But, the acting of all actors and story-line was equally good. Some of the action shots are almost Hollywood standard (One scene of airplanes attacking the people on ground in a beach area and last scene where the fight happens on a rattling old bridge across a river)

Kangana was the star of the movie and she was flawless and her role couldn't have been donned by anybody else

I think the British actor was the 2nd best in the overall acting department

It's a fantastic watch and family loved watching this movie. Go for it !

3.5/5

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd March 2017 at 17:36.
Old 2nd March 2017, 19:31   #3013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I went in for Ghazi Attack with high expectations but did not like it too much. 3 Stars only.
Good movie and the story could have been told better, not sure whether Taapsee's role was really needed, ending could have been made better.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd March 2017 at 01:37. Reason: Removing spoiler :)
Old 9th April 2017, 09:39   #3014
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone seen "Naam Shabana"

How is it?
Old 9th April 2017, 10:31   #3015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Has anyone seen "Naam Shabana"

How is it?
I watched it on the second day of release. There's nothing exceptional about the movie, but keeps you engrossed throughout. An average one time watch but far better than nonsense movies like Jolly LLB2. I would rate 3/5.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks